Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Windscreen leaking

Views : 8001

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 17th, 2016, 12:51   #31
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahabibi View Post
Hi there, same problem as previously described by many but in our case vovlo broke the screen and we suppose to pay for it. They will cover the bonding repair only. How am I liable to pay for an issue which is caused by v9lvo during the manufacturing process?
The garage is trained to take the glass out and refit it without breaking it using the volvo approved methods , I have seen a lot of windscreens removed and not seen one broken one .. It is their responsibility to make sure they do that . Accidents can happen of course , but it is THEIR liability not yours ! It was somebodies fault it broke , Get them to prove it was YOUR fault ..
All the above assumes the windsscreen was not cracked , any crack and it is a different story ..
Old Aug 17th, 2016, 12:57   #32
sahabibi

Default Windscreen leak and screen broke during removal

I was advised that the windscreen had 2 stone chips when the inspect it before the repair. I gave the go ahead as this not constitute a cracking unless you tell me it does?
sahabibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2016, 13:21   #33
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
I was advised that the windscreen had 2 stone chips when the inspect it before the repair. I gave the go ahead as this not constitute a cracking unless you tell me it does?
have a look at it , if the crack comes from the stone chip which is a weak spot then yes they can not guarantee it. But if the crack comes from the edge and goes no where near the stone chips it is not the stone chips which caused the break/crack ...
Old Aug 17th, 2016, 13:52   #34
wilbydoughboy

Couldnt you let your insurance company sort this out with them.
Old Aug 17th, 2016, 15:32   #35
sahabibi

Default Windscreen leak and screen broke during removal

The insurance company would pay if the windscreen breaks during the repair from an authorised volvo technicians and also the bonding is something which the insurance classifies as wear and tear. Update from the technician the windscreen broke due to the wire cutting through the glue and not because of stonechips in the screen. Need to speak to volvo uk again and claim their inability to do the repair which I am liable for. The laugh is uk office is currently closed at 1429 Wednesday afternoon and quoting their opening hours are 9-5 mo to Friday.
sahabibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2016, 16:38   #36
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
The insurance company would pay if the windscreen breaks during the repair from an authorised volvo technicians and also the bonding is something which the insurance classifies as wear and tear. Update from the technician the windscreen broke due to the wire cutting through the glue and not because of stonechips in the screen. Need to speak to volvo uk again and claim their inability to do the repair which I am liable for. The laugh is uk office is currently closed at 1429 Wednesday afternoon and quoting their opening hours are 9-5 mo to Friday.
The wire is supposed to cut through the bonding it is like a piece of cheese wire with a handle at each end , they work it around the screen one handle inside , the other outside and it slices through the glue , it can't break the windscreen .
Old Aug 17th, 2016, 21:56   #37
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

I'd agree with Clan. I've seen a technician do it while I watched closely and the wire does not stress the glass at all because it is not pulling on it but just sliding through a thick layer of adhesive. Once the adhesive is cut the glass is quite loose.

Roy
Old Aug 17th, 2016, 22:44   #38
Voltan

I had mine done last month and the dealer was not confident that it could be done without breakage occurring as two others that had been done recently had broken. The dealer was only prepared to do it if I paid for the windscreen if it did break though my insurance company stated that they would pay if it broke so I gave them the go-ahead.

However it went without mishap thankfully and it cost me nothing as Volvo met the cost.

Anyway, after having had the screen replaced I noticed a slight water mark on the head lining. I am not sure of the best way of cleaning this. Any advice on tackling this would be most welcome, thanks.