Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New question for Ron

Views : 1658

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 4th, 2018, 14:19   #11
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

arcturus; See: http://www.sw-em.com/Fuses,%20Alloca...m#Fusing_Rules

Clan; ...but Current is what does the work...no current, no work...perfect example is Derek's duff bat.

Derek; The Voltmeter you measured that Bat with, drew an extremely low and insignificant amount of current, so it measured the surface charge voltage just fine...but once the significant current required by the Starter is drawn (and we want to do some work), voltage collapses to nothing...that is why a Load Test is what should be performed on a Bat...it takes into account the internal resistance of the Bat...which should be quite low, so that when high current is drawn, only very little drops across its own low internal resistance, and almost all voltage occurs across Load...

Cheers

Last edited by Ron Kwas; Oct 4th, 2018 at 14:46.
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2018, 14:50   #12
luggsey
The truth is out there...

I would use the term potential until a circuit is made.

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2018, 19:54   #13
Derek UK
VOC Member

Ron. The AA man did the proper tests and repeated them about half an hour later. Left engine running and then switched off and tried a start. Would barely click the solenoid. He'd had a cup of tea sheltering from the pouring rain at the hairdressers where I'd taken my mum and sister. Was my sisters AA account. Alternator was working normally.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2018, 10:05   #14
arcturus
arcturus

So, worked out fuse rating for headlamps. 2x60w. 120/6. x 1.25. =25.w. fuse. is that correct?
Old Oct 5th, 2018, 15:21   #15
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

arcturus;

I'm not sure where you got the 1.25 factor (1.5 to even 2 is a good factor range for incandescents because of their inrush), and your results would be in Amps, and that would then be used as fuse rating...so short answer is: Not quite.

Looking at what the factory did as a reference: In wiring diagram of a 6V 444 (http://www.sw-em.com/444LS%206V%20Wiring%20Diagram.gif), we see 45W/40W Headlight elements (7.5A/6.6A), and a single 25A fuse upstream of the Light Switch. Nominal current calculates at 15A/13.2A (1.6/1.9 Factors)

Contrast that to the 6V 544 WD (http://www.sw-em.com/544_6Vwiring.jpg) where Headlights of similar wattage ratings are individually fused at 8A, so the factor there works out at only 1.06/1.2. (I'd be mildly concerned and on the lookout for fuse "nuisance blows" with those low factors, but I'm sure factory engineers found those values to be OK, showing judgement and actual test experience is also taken into account when specifying fuse currents!).

So long answer (taking into account standard fuse values) is...if fusing individually for 60W, I'd recommend 12 or 15A, and if fusing together, I'd use 25A or even 30A (assure wire gauge is suitable for expected normal condition current!).

Hope that helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2018, 17:09   #16
arcturus
arcturus

i am using 2.5 gauge wire. 2x60w bulbs on one fuse for the time being. I will be altering to 1x60w with 112amp fuse, when i get another fuse block. The w/v x1.5 I plucked from the internet I am using H4 6v 60/55w P43T light bulbs

Last edited by arcturus; Oct 5th, 2018 at 17:13.
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2018, 14:03   #17
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

arcturus;

You should double-check the charts to see if 2.5mm2 wire has a suitable cross-sectional area for the expected current, but otherwise that sounds OK.

Cheeers
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post: