Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear windscreen washer routing

Views : 2054

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 11th, 2018, 15:38   #1
meddyliol

Question Rear windscreen washer routing

Does anyone know how/where the pipes from the washer pump gets to the rear washer on a V50? I have water on the driver side rear passenger floor (quite a lot). Cannot see how it could get there.

Thanks

Brian
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 17:04   #2
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meddyliol View Post
Does anyone know how/where the pipes from the washer pump gets to the rear washer on a V50? I have water on the driver side rear passenger floor (quite a lot). Cannot see how it could get there.

Thanks

Brian
I always had an impression it goes trough side of headliner on left side, but dont hold me on that. Cant find that info in Vida either, and Im interested myself as its clogged somewhere on mine.
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 17:47   #3
Petey80
Premier Member

Here's a thread from the forum showing the route of the piping for the rear washer hose - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=65714

If you have water in your rear D/S footwell, it could also be the A/C drain blocked.
That is located under the carpet next to your left foot.

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Petey80 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 18:10   #4
meddyliol

Thanks for your replies. Excuse my ignorance but what does D/S mean? Thanks for the link, very useful.
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 18:15   #5
andy_d
Premier Member

d/s - Drivers Side
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2018, 12:24   #6
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey80 View Post
Here's a thread from the forum showing the route of the piping for the rear washer hose - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=65714

If you have water in your rear D/S footwell, it could also be the A/C drain blocked.
That is located under the carpet next to your left foot.
That is for V70, is V50 routed the same?
Old Dec 12th, 2018, 12:31   #7
andy_d
Premier Member

"pass" as hours spent searching in vida found the same answers you did,
washer bottle at the front with pumps,, hoses for the bonnet,, and "magic pixie transport" to the nozzle on the boot door,,,, (with a check valve)

Edit to add off topic link for LoB

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/mee...playing-lizard

Last edited by andy_d; Dec 12th, 2018 at 12:36. Reason: Totally OT post addition
andy_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2018, 13:23   #8
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
"pass" as hours spent searching in vida found the same answers you did,
washer bottle at the front with pumps,, hoses for the bonnet,, and "magic pixie transport" to the nozzle on the boot door,,,, (with a check valve)
HA, so I was not the only one!!! Vida just assumes there is a vortex tunnel between front and rear and doesnt even give a "repair/replace" info on that.
Strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post

Edit to add off topic link for LoB

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/mee...playing-lizard
omg, that made my day

funny enough, I actually do play a little :P
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2018, 17:29   #9
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
The tube run goes FOREWARD from the pump, across behind the radiator, up under the right wheel fender, up the right "A" pillar, back on the right side of the headliner, and finally across the back to the jump to the tailgate. There's a joint near the top of the "A" pillar so you can check flow at that point.
is what i have found so far on the "pixie transport tube"

Being the Joint in the A-pillar

so
If your washer pump is working , to check you can slide your hand/arm down the gap by the washer bottle find the pump and get someone to operate the stalk , you will feel the motor working.
Pop the A pillar cover off Drivers side and find the joint , Add a bit of tube to get the water from it to Outside the car, operate the stalk, Water Should flow out the extended tube, if not then the one way valve/joint in the Apillar is possibly the issue
next its take the washer noz off the boot lid, check water comes out the pipe
**you may well snap/break the nozzle or its clips taking it out, volvo main dealer for a replacement one ,its CHEAP.
With the nozzle off, you can back flush the pipe in the roof,WHEN you have extended the front part to not get water in the car, and the check/one way valve at the rear nozzle ,

possibly due to "gunk" and "algae" growing in the pipes and valves they are gummed up
once clear, use a Decent screen wash that is designed to resist the growth of algae (gunk)

personal recomendations
do NOT bother with the cheap Aldi/lidl screen washes OR halfrauds , they allow the growth of algae/gunk, as i found out when sorting Why my dads car washers were not working, he uses those brands of screen wash, I had to remove the washer bottle , pump, filter Strip the lot and clean out a BIG blockage of said algae,, NOT a job you want to do trust me its Rank

Smart arse that i am, i use Gen volvo screen wash, it Doesnt freeze when you get the dilution ratio right for the weather, Doesnt mark paint work, doesnt stain, Does Not let algae grow. And it is cheap enough from a main dealer in 1l or bigger bottles, (plus cleaning the washer bottles and pipes out when there Is algae in it,, really really Not a nice job)

Last edited by andy_d; Dec 12th, 2018 at 17:31.
andy_d is offline   Reply With Quote