Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ellemann-jakobsen

Views : 16404

Replies : 80

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 24th, 2011, 17:19   #11
tdz840
VOC Member

Mitch
Don't both polishing the cover. I bought one and the castings poor. Once you get rid of the paint you are left with a load of inclusions that look rubbish and too deep to remove.
Ended up repainting mine after spending an age polishing it. I repainted it black but thinking of going a crinkle finish if I can find a high temp crinkle paint in black.
The top of the fins have been left bare ally
HTH
Russ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch1971 View Post
My Chrissie present turned up today and after a 40min wait at the parcel force depot I got my new valve cover. I was wondering how VP autoparts could sell Volvo marked covers and they don't really, they come with a stick on Volvo badge to go in a milled space on the cover, see the pics. They are cast aluminium and the casting is okay but the black painted area has a rough type finish and the top and sealing face are machined. I'm going to polish the top surface and will stick on the badge after that but I'm wondering if a fully polished surface or another colour other than black would look good. Any suggestions of a another colour or would polished looked the best?

Edit: Found the below pic and thought the smoother glossy black look and polished top and cap will look good. I'll try and nickel plate a cap and see how it turns out.
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tdz840 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 11:40   #12
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

i wonder if there is any updates on this so bumping thread back into action

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 12:15   #13
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

About Ellemann-jakobsen? Last I spoke to her she was still going but that is a while ago.

I ended up just painting and baking my valve cover and then I nickel plated the cap if that is what you are asking about?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0564.jpg (251.6 KB, 23 views)
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 12:28   #14
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

i was wondering if they have started to redo / re produce the new style rocker covers

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 12:29   #15
tdz840
VOC Member

Mitch
I had a go over the Xmas break painting the rocker cover with crinkle finish.
It involved stripping the existing finsh which was a pain (all the gaps between the lettering.
Then waiting for the missus went out and put it through the dishwasher!
I then had a go using he crinkle paint available on ebay.
I used one tin and loads left
Came out surprisingly well
Russ

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...er_media_share
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 12:33   #16
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdz840 View Post
Mitch
It involved stripping the existing finsh which was a pain (all the gaps between the lettering.
Russ

omg im rolling around in stitches here im picturing you watching your mrs drive outta drive then runing to kitchen loading dishwasher then dropping a finish tablet in starting the dishwasher ........ then the stressy part curtain twitching while listing to dishwasher finishes hehe

and yippee when all done , then later praying and hoping mrs dont see any evidence you have had car parts in the dishwasher lol

and laterz at end of day a good sye of relief you got away with it

The Following User Says Thank You to 123GT-AMAZON For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 12:38   #17
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdz840 View Post
Mitch
Russ

Thanks Russ, that looks very nice. I was never quite brave enough to wash parts in the dishwasher. I never got round to finishing mine as we discussed, but it is still on the to do list.

Robert, last I was told was that they might do them for people who buy one of their engines. Do you fancy e-mailing her to see if they are just selling the valve covers as they do look great?
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 12:43   #18
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

i will contact her and ask but im not going to by a engine just to get a repro rocker cover if i had a template i could get these made i have a nordic rocker cover but thats in getting dipped and recoated so a dare not use that now i was going to get a IPD cover and use that as a base template to have them custom made to suit

one i have seen recently surprised me never seen another one a car tony barret looks after a real nice dark blue 123gt and it has a rather nice 123GT alloy rocker cover

Old Jan 5th, 2013, 13:55   #19
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

The problem with using wrinkle paint under the bonnet is is dirt and oil. It's difficult to keep a nice black finish as it gets ingrained in the wrinkles. Doesn't take much. Many (many) years ago I did the top tank of the rad on my first Amazon with it. Great for a while, but after a few wipe downs it soon looked very scruffy. If you are a very keen detailer you may get away with it for a time but...........
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 01:54   #20
lukeball

Up for sale in another Ellemann-Jakobsen valve cover. It is already expensive, but it is still fun to watch: http://www.tradera.com/ellemann-jako...2212_174089740
1959 Volvo Amazon. Chassis #17048
lukeball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lukeball For This Useful Post: