Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Changing radio/sound system

Views : 3126

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 21st, 2012, 08:47   #1
leseduts

Default Changing radio/sound system

When we bought our XC60 ( June 09) we only had a standard radio with single CD slot. The lack of CD changer and not being able to get radio 4 in France is annoying and we would like to upgrade. Does anyone know if it is possible, as looking at the dash it all seems integrated.
leseduts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 09:21   #2
Daleman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leseduts View Post
When we bought our XC60 ( June 09) we only had a standard radio with single CD slot. The lack of CD changer and not being able to get radio 4 in France is annoying and we would like to upgrade. Does anyone know if it is possible, as looking at the dash it all seems integrated.
I think the radio and CD are all integrated into electrics of the vehicle and it would be a major task to try and upgrade. Why not store your songs in an iPod and run it through the glove box input?
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daleman For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 09:36   #3
jimbg
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleman View Post
I think the radio and CD are all integrated into electrics of the vehicle and it would be a major task to try and upgrade. Why not store your songs in an iPod and run it through the glove box input?
I agree, then you could possibly have all CD's available to you at the push and prod of a few buttons?

On that note, I read the other day that, I think it was Ford are actually dropping CD players?
jimbg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimbg For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 13:36   #4
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbg View Post
On that note, I read the other day that, I think it was Ford are actually dropping CD players?
Not surprised, CD's are old technology these days. Most people have a digital collection using an iDevice or smartphone to transport their music collection. My last CD purchased was over 10 years ago now
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 13:42   #5
leseduts

I will have to buy an iPod and find a child to show me how to use it. It does sound like a good idea, many thanks
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 16:22   #6
844PHW
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbg View Post
I read the other day that, I think it was Ford are actually dropping CD players?
Well, saves them a small amount of money I suppose. My feeling is that CDs still have a way to go yet. My previous Avensis wasn't that old and it had a tape player as well as a CD player. When I was looking at cars prior to getting the XC60, the, I think, VW Tiguan, or was it Honda CRV, scored highly with my son by having an SD card socket. On my XC60, I can use a USB SD card reader plugged into the USB socket.
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 20:28   #7
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by leseduts View Post
on the radio front, if you want to upgrade you can buy in car DAB radios which broadcast to an FM frequency. you just tune the car radio to that frequency to listen to it. here's an example:

http://www.radioworld.co.uk/catalog/...or-p-6314.html

with respect to recorded sound, do you not have a usb port in the centre armrest? if so, you can throw your songs onto a usb stick and plug it in - much cheaper than an ipod, and also means you don't have to used the closed shop which is apple. most children should be able to show you how to do that!
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darbs For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 21:31   #8
Daleman
Master Member

Can you pick BBC radio 4 up in France with DAB radio ?
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 22:03   #9
darbs
XC60 Owner

according to the bbc website, only on LW198 or internet radio.
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 17:02   #10
leseduts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbs View Post
on the radio front, if you want to upgrade you can buy in car DAB radios which broadcast to an FM frequency. you just tune the car radio to that frequency to listen to it. here's an example:

http://www.radioworld.co.uk/catalog/...or-p-6314.html

with respect to recorded sound, do you not have a usb port in the centre armrest? if so, you can throw your songs onto a usb stick and plug it in - much cheaper than an ipod, and also means you don't have to used the closed shop which is apple. most children should be able to show you how to do that!
No, I do not have a USB port. We made a mistake when buying the car, having just retired we bought as basic a car as we could. We also have a top of the range V70 which is all singing and dancing, but we already owned that when we retired. I think that it is comparing the sound system between the 2 that we realise what we are missing.