Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 spare wheel problem solved

Views : 20421

Replies : 57

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 25th, 2013, 17:27   #11
Brodick
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozmeister View Post
Yep - it would be a deal breaker for me!! I'm not driving around with a tin of goo or a spare wheel taking up space in the boot itself!!

Not quite sure what Volvo are thinking of!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCV60 View Post
Surely weight saving, efficiency space saving is what Volvo were thinking of.
Not only Volvo doing this. they are just jumping on the bandwagon.
just look at BMW can of gunk or run flat tyres is all they offer throughout their
range. at least that was what I was informed by a dealer couple of years ago
Brodick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 20:07   #12
nozmeister

Yes, lots of cars are now fitted with repair kits...Mazda, Honda, etc although I would think the effect of the weight of a wheel and Jack is negligible on overall fuel consumption.

What annoys me most is the fact that the option to get a spare wheel is there but you can't necessarily hide it under the boot floor, and the V60 doesn't exactly have the largest boot to begin with.

Volvo XC60 SE LUX NAV D4 VEA GT MY16 - Osmium Grey, Family Pack, Winter Pack, Front Parking Sensors & Tempa Spare Wheel

Gone but not forgotten: 2006-2015 Volvo V50 2.0D SE MY06 - 46.7 MPG

Last edited by nozmeister; Oct 25th, 2013 at 20:10. Reason: Typo
nozmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 14:39   #13
irishcarfan
Master Member

There have been a few threads about this before. It's definitely a deal-breaker for people, myself included.

I know other makes do it too, but that just isn't good enough for a make that prides themselves on safety.

Anyway, nice job on getting the wheel in
irishcarfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to irishcarfan For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 14:03   #14
mike95

I am new to Volvo and the forum so many thanks to all for a great site and allowing me in.

We have just bought a 2013 V60 D5 Se Lux Nav Geartronic and are delighted with it. The D5 engine is a particular treat after owning a few 4 pots.

I am hoping that someone can help with a question. I can sae all the threads about fitting a space saver wheel under the floor. Very interesting and informative, many thanks.

Has anyone managed to squeeze one in with the grocery bag holder floor which I can see is slightly thicker than the standard one. I am trying to avoid rushing out to buy one only the find it won’t fit. I really need all the boot space and if I have to carry it there or in our caravan I may as well go for a full size one.

Thanks a lot.
mike95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 14:10   #15
MtillingVolvo
Sales Monkey @Volvo Npton

I'm pretty positive this isn't possible. If it was then I'd imagine Volvo would have done it in the 1st place rather than making whole new boot floors to accommodate the wheel..... willing to be proven wrong if anyone fancies taking a hacksaw to their boot floor but from my experience of fitting them I'd say its not possible...

Main Dealer Based in Northampton
mtilling@bellsmotorgroup.co.uk
MtillingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 17:00   #16
velocette

I have an 11 reg V60 and had the same concerns about lack of a spare. a deal breaker as far as I was concerned. I bought a skinny spare on Ebay for £80, a Volvo original complete with an expanding (to take the full size flat) zipped bag. I have a wheel brace available and swiped the jack from the trade in, having checked that it does the necessary. The wheel is not secured but it would be extraordinary were it to shift under normal use. The tools etc are stored in bags in the various spaces under the boot floor, and the tray is now surplus to requirements and kept in the garage. It is not as pretty as it could be but it works well enough for me.
velocette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 17:07   #17
mike95

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocette View Post
I have an 11 reg V60 and had the same concerns about lack of a spare. a deal breaker as far as I was concerned. I bought a skinny spare on Ebay for £80, a Volvo original complete with an expanding (to take the full size flat) zipped bag. I have a wheel brace available and swiped the jack from the trade in, having checked that it does the necessary. The wheel is not secured but it would be extraordinary were it to shift under normal use. The tools etc are stored in bags in the various spaces under the boot floor, and the tray is now surplus to requirements and kept in the garage. It is not as pretty as it could be but it works well enough for me.
Thanks very much.
Can I just check that your boor floor has the built in grocery holder.
Cheers.
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 17:09   #18
mike95

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtillingVolvo View Post
I'm pretty positive this isn't possible. If it was then I'd imagine Volvo would have done it in the 1st place rather than making whole new boot floors to accommodate the wheel..... willing to be proven wrong if anyone fancies taking a hacksaw to their boot floor but from my experience of fitting them I'd say its not possible...
Thanks very much.
I fear that you may be right which is exactly why I was checking.
I won't resort to the hacksaw just yet!
Cheers.
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 18:41   #19
TrueBlue

Default V60 spare wheel - solution (for me at least)

I today have taken delivery of a smart used V60 (thanks Marshalls !) and the solution suggested via several folks was to buy:-

313 73 123 Spare wheel and tyre £105
313 16 306 Toolkit (jack / brace / lever and tray) £36
this latter is cheaper than buying the jack separately

Our car has the grocery floor - do you mean that silly panel that lifts up to which you attache your supermarket bags - which then collapses when you go round a corner??

If so then - as far as I can see ('twas tipping it down when I fitted it) there was no problem with the boot floor sticking up _ I will check on the morrow if anyone's interested.
The wheel has no fixing but nestles is the space with very little room to move sideways or fore and aft. If any one's bothered there's a rubber (?drain) plug in the floor at about the right place which could be adapted to make a centre bolt to fix the wheel (as in the days of yore...) - see below
The toolkit is supposed to fit towards the rear, pinning the wheel down. I haven't yet sussed that

Volvo had two solutions - an earlier version was not more than a bag with complicated straps to locate the wheel. I think (hope) it's no longer available.

The current official solution is a mix of plastic holders and what looks like a new floor. Instructions can be downloaded from the accessories site, but at about £425, I don't thin there will be many takers... BTW it includes what looks like a retaining bolt (above) and could probably be ordered.

Our car came with a great tray that sits below the floor where you could store all manner of things. Sadly there's no room for it. You could probably chop the front end off, keeping the back end for some of the goodies.

Too much information??

Anyway for Mike95 - you don't need a hacksaw....
TrueBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2014, 19:13   #20
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
I today have taken delivery of a smart used V60 (thanks Marshalls !) and the solution suggested via several folks was to buy:-

313 73 123 Spare wheel and tyre £105
313 16 306 Toolkit (jack / brace / lever and tray) £36
this latter is cheaper than buying the jack separately

Our car has the grocery floor - do you mean that silly panel that lifts up to which you attache your supermarket bags - which then collapses when you go round a corner??

If so then - as far as I can see ('twas tipping it down when I fitted it) there was no problem with the boot floor sticking up _ I will check on the morrow if anyone's interested.
The wheel has no fixing but nestles is the space with very little room to move sideways or fore and aft. If any one's bothered there's a rubber (?drain) plug in the floor at about the right place which could be adapted to make a centre bolt to fix the wheel (as in the days of yore...) - see below
The toolkit is supposed to fit towards the rear, pinning the wheel down. I haven't yet sussed that

Volvo had two solutions - an earlier version was not more than a bag with complicated straps to locate the wheel. I think (hope) it's no longer available.

The current official solution is a mix of plastic holders and what looks like a new floor. Instructions can be downloaded from the accessories site, but at about £425, I don't thin there will be many takers... BTW it includes what looks like a retaining bolt (above) and could probably be ordered.

Our car came with a great tray that sits below the floor where you could store all manner of things. Sadly there's no room for it. You could probably chop the front end off, keeping the back end for some of the goodies.

Too much information??

Anyway for Mike95 - you don't need a hacksaw....
Is it possible for you to post some photo's with the spare, in situ.

Thank you.

tem.