Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 593737

Replies : 2689

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2015, 21:55   #31
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
Roy, TBH I didn't know whether petrol engines had EGRs or not. Thanks for the update. My point about petrol engines was a more general one though - about simplicity compared to diesel.

That said, the eye-watering residuals make petrol on an SUV a non-starter. Unless buying used when a chunk of the value has already been taken out.

Arianne
Hi Arriane. I think EGR's first appeared on petrol engines in 1973.

I'm not sure diesel engines are more complex. They didn't used to be regarded as such due to the lack of an ignition system. True they have gained an EGR but petrol engines already had that. The only thing I can think of that petrol engines don't have is the DPF, but against the complexity of the petrol's ignition system seems to me the petrol is still more complex. Diesel's were regarded as being more robust due to the need to cope with higher combustion pressures.

I think the only real way to get a less complex engine is to buy a classic car pre 1973. 245's are pretty simple really. The exhaust stinks though.

Roy

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Jan 18th, 2015 at 22:00.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 13:00   #32
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Hi Arriane

By way of reassurance, my V70 has done 200,000 miles without having it's EGR cleaned., let alone replaced I'm sure the D4 EGR problems are just teething troubles and will soon be sorted.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 13:21   #33
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
Hi Arriane

By way of reassurance, my V70 has done 200,000 miles without having it's EGR cleaned., let alone replaced I'm sure the D4 EGR problems are just teething troubles and will soon be sorted.
Totally agree, especially given that almost all car engines have EGRs these days and we arent seeing issues all over the place - I don't think any other engine has an issue therefore it is probably just the new design that needs tweaking.

In 6 months this will be a non-event, keep the faith
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 14:34   #34
mwoods666

EGR warning light came on after 600 miles from new. At the time I was querying the wheel spin from the front on an AWD car.

it turned out not to be AWD but FWD. different from what I had ordered, I had also queried the salesman on the lack of AWD badge when picking up, to be told 'its a model difference' . I then queried again the same salesman the day after picking up regarding the wheelspin, to be told it takes a few seconds for the AWD to activate.

I did not get underneath to check, as I thought I was being paranoid, after ordering an AWD and having told specifically on at least two occasions it was definitely AWD.

Car was replaced with an AWD, however ongoing electrical problems, random warning lights and todays inability to select any gear (its on a truck on route to the dealers again) , seem to be at odds with Volvo's reputation for quality.

As posted on other threads, the AWD is currently not exceeding 26mpg in mixed gentle driving, and the dealer is telling me that everything is normal??
mwoods666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 17:35   #35
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwoods666 View Post
EGR warning light came on after 600 miles from new. At the time I was querying the wheel spin from the front on an AWD car.

it turned out not to be AWD but FWD. different from what I had ordered, I had also queried the salesman on the lack of AWD badge when picking up, to be told 'its a model difference' . I then queried again the same salesman the day after picking up regarding the wheelspin, to be told it takes a few seconds for the AWD to activate.

I did not get underneath to check, as I thought I was being paranoid, after ordering an AWD and having told specifically on at least two occasions it was definitely AWD.

Car was replaced with an AWD, however ongoing electrical problems, random warning lights and todays inability to select any gear (its on a truck on route to the dealers again) , seem to be at odds with Volvo's reputation for quality.

As posted on other threads, the AWD is currently not exceeding 26mpg in mixed gentle driving, and the dealer is telling me that everything is normal??
The dealer sounds really bad, either knows nothing about the car or is lying. AWD has always been clearly marked. 26mpg is not normal with gentle driving and reasonable length journeys. I'm getting about 39mpg.

I see you've had advice to reject the car. Seems you thought you were getting a new D4 AWD and were not told that they do not exist yet. I would follow the rejection advice, given the miss-selling and major problems with the car .

I'm trying to work out what engine you actually have. The press releases I've seen are as clear as mud! How many CC's does it have? OK just looked in my handbook and it's this one....2011 Press release....The new five-cylinder 2.0D diesel is, in principle, the same engine as the well-established 2.4-litre diesel, but its displacement has been reduced with a shorter stroke to optimise fuel consumption. The injection system also has a different type of piezoelectric fuel injector compared with the D5 engine. These injectors minimize fuel consumption with their exceptionally rapid and precise injection pulses under high pressure to promote extremely efficient combustion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XC605.jpg (299.6 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Jan 19th, 2015 at 18:52.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 21:27   #36
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Sorry forget what I said about the engine. I picked the wrong one.

The AWD D4 has a 2.4 litre 5 cylinder with a single turbo..... Comparison between D5 Twin turbo and D4 version.

New Single Turbo 2.4D

The main focus for Volvo's new 2.4D engine was to reduce fuel consumption and consequent emissions. The injection system features a different type of piezoelectric fuel injectors to the D5, which aims to cut fuel consumption through extremely rapid and precise injection sequences. The high injection pressure results in an effective combustion. To promote the drivability, the single turbocharger has been optimised to produce high torque from low revs.

Mutual Technology

The two new diesel engines share a number of technology solutions. The engines have lower compression, more efficient combustion and the latest generation of engine management. Volvo Cars' powertrain experts have reduced internal friction and pump losses in the diesel engines. The pressure drop in the intake and exhaust system has also been reduced.

The new turbo diesels have also been equipped with ceramic glow plugs, a high-tech solution that delivers improved starting properties owing to very quick warming up. They reach a temperature of 1,000 degrees Celsius in just two seconds, making the engine easy to start and helping to cut emissions. In certain driving conditions, such as at really low engine revs, the ceramic glow-plugs can also be used to increase the temperature in the cylinders, further improving combustion efficiency.

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Jan 19th, 2015 at 21:30.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 22:39   #37
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
Hi Arriane

Hello Roy, indeed this is reassuring. Thanks for your posts which are excellent. I still have a 'bottom of my stomach' gut feeling that petrol technology is becoming a more tempting proposition than it has been in recent years. Dare I say "DPF"?

Having said all that, I reckon the next family car will probably still be diesel!

Moving on....what a tale of horror for mwoods666 - puts it into perspective.

Best wishes, Arianne
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 15:58   #38
emjga

Default S60 D4 Engine Check

My S60 D4 R-Design Lux Nav (181hp)
Had Engine check come on over the weekend.
Registered Dec 2013
Purchased Nov 2014
Miles current 8700

Going in to dealer 21st Jan
No idea if it is related to this thread.
emjga is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to emjga For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2015, 10:28   #39
Flux
Premier Member

I guess there will always be some teething problems with a brand new engine and modifications are always likely to be needed. As long as they are fixable relatively easily with [hopefully] no further issues then that would be a bonus.

Volvo have used the last 12 months to find out any issues with the new engine so that it can be rectified by the time the XC90 comes out.

To a certain degree we have all been guinea pigs.

The timing of the launch of the new VEA engine, I believe, was a tactical move in readiness for the new flagship XC90 this April.

I bet the EGR won't be an issue on the XC90 as it will have been fitted with the latest component, which is probably why forum members with EGR problems are having to wait for modified parts as the supply is being used up on production engines first.

Just my thoughts.
Old Jan 21st, 2015, 11:57   #40
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
I guess there will always be some teething problems with a brand new engine and modifications are always likely to be needed. As long as they are fixable relatively easily with [hopefully] no further issues then that would be a bonus.
Manufacturers with sporty sub-brands usually do this kind of launch with these models as the people who drive those vehicles don't mind the odd issue, it gives them the opportunity to quiz the dealers and manufacturer.

More difficult to do when you do not have such a sub-brand of enthusiasts or petrolheads. Launching new tech to a customer group who view a trip to the dealership as a chore is always a bigger risk.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote