Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 598098

Replies : 2691

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2015, 12:05   #661
craigv60
Master Member

@SimonStafford - sorry to hear about these woes, nearly a month without your new car is really not acceptable.

At this stage, I would very firmly tell Volvo customer services and the dealer that supplied the car, that you demand it is fixed once and for all this time, and that they will supply you with a courtesy car that is yours for the duration without any swapping and changing.

Also, the 3rd dealer 'offering no warranty on the work' - you're covered by the new car warranty for another year and a bit, so no worries there.

Could I ask why it's gone to three different dealers for the various fixes?
craigv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 13:30   #662
Kev78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Stafford View Post
UPDATE

Sadly I let Volvo assist recover the car to the third garage and conduct a repair. In May they replaced the cooler pipe - new design, the egr valve - also new design, they replaced a sensor and did a software upgrade. They offered no warranty on their work but assured me the redesigned parts would solve the issue.

The software mod seems to have killed throttle response in higher gears and driving in traffic cross country at around 50-60 mph requires a lot more gear changes. There are times when there is no response from the throttle even if you push the pedal into the carpet. 3rd garage went with me for a test drive and saw the problem but said software was fine.

Sending it in for repair seems to have been a mistake because it underminded any case for a refund at that time because they had 'fixed' the problem.

Yesterday the MIL light came on and P04D9 is back. This suggests that the new improved design is not as good as the original - That ran for 8 months ~ 8,000 miles against just 6 months and 5,000 miles on the redesigned replacement.

Looks like it is time to call it a day and refuse further repair.

I think this is the last Volvo I will drive.

That is disgusting.

The car is not fit for purpose and the performance is nowhere near what it should be.

I'd demand a refund, go to the press and definitely never buy a Volvo again.

It's a disgrace Volvo are still selling these cars without having a fix for the problem.
Kev78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 14:57   #663
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev78 View Post
That is disgusting.

The car is not fit for purpose and the performance is nowhere near what it should be.

I'd demand a refund, go to the press and definitely never buy a Volvo again.

It's a disgrace Volvo are still selling these cars without having a fix for the problem.
Bit like VW then
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 15:02   #664
Kev78

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Bit like VW then
No, nothing like VW?

Vw may have cheated on emissions but at least they are reliable.

The D4 is anything but, Volvo clearly don't have a solution. Yet they are still selling to customers and dealers deny there is a issue.
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 15:14   #665
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
No, nothing like VW?

The D4 is anything but, Volvo clearly don't have a solution. Yet they are still selling to customers and dealers deny there is a issue.
Actually very similar -
VW sold a car that doesn't meet the regulations, doesn't perform within the agreed parameters and they don't have a cure.

Volvo sold a car that meets the regulations (but doesn't when the hardware fails), doesn't perform within the agreed parameters and they don't have a cure.
The difference that one is failing regulations at build they other because of a failure during operation. Looks pretty close to me as they both failing for the same reasons - emissions

Last edited by wimorrison; Nov 16th, 2015 at 15:28.
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 15:30   #666
Kev78

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Actually very similar -
VW sold a car that doesn't meet the regulations because of a deliberate act, doesn't perform within the agreed parameters and they don't have a cure.

Volvo sold a car that meets the regulations (but doesn't when the hardware fails), doesn't perform within the agreed parameters and they don't have a cure.
Looks pretty close to me
Then you have a strange way of looking at things.

VW cheated emission tests, were caught and admitted it.

Volvo are selling cars that are unreliable, don't have a fix and deny there is a issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev78 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 16:09   #667
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Then you have a strange way of looking at things.

VW cheated emission tests, were caught and admitted it.

Volvo are selling cars that are unreliable, don't have a fix and deny there is a issue.
That's just nonsense.

What help is it to owners that VW admitted it? They still haven't fixed it, although I'm sure they will eventually and they don't go bankrupt.

Volvo have an issue with some cars and are working hard to cure those that do. They don't send a team of engineers to the UK to test cars and then ignore the results.

You need to start reading members posts properly.
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 16:22   #668
Kev78

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
That's just nonsense.

What help is it to owners that VW admitted it? They still haven't fixed it, although I'm sure they will eventually and they don't go bankrupt.

Volvo have an issue with some cars and are working hard to cure those that do. They don't send a team of engineers to the UK to test cars and then ignore the results.

You need to start reading members posts properly.
Are VW's going into limp mode and they haven't got a fix?

Do they have reduced performance once they have been 'fixed'.

You need to stop taking offence at any anti Volvo comments.

Fact is. They should solve the problem or at least admit it to potential customers.

This is a disgrace and Volvo are taking the p***.

I wonder if they tell potential customers about the team coming from Sweden?

They are obviously clueless and may have a engine with a major design flaw.

I wouldn't be worried if I had a VW diesel but I'd worry if I had a D4 or new D5.

Last edited by Kev78; Nov 16th, 2015 at 16:31.
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 17:09   #669
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
VW are reliable because they cheated emissions.

Making a reliable diesel that's good for hundreds of thousands of miles is easy and has been for years for lots of quality brands but doing it and meeting strict emissions isn't.
Volvo may be failing miserably at achieving that double goal but at least they're having a go and playing the game.
That said, I won't be a guinea-pig for any of these new diesels whoever makes them.
I'll wait until they can replicate the reliability of the older diesels but I think the wait will be a long one.
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 17:13   #670
GJB
Premier Member

Thumbs down

VW has only just admitted weeks after they where caught fiddling the diesel tests that they are also fiddling the petrol cars as well.
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote