Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sound deadening advice required

Views : 4689

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 18th, 2017, 16:05   #11
Derek UK
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishandgerman View Post
Oh! I just re-read your original post and you’ve said the steering column thing is missing!!

Mine is a piece cut out of a yoga mat
Adam. You must then be in a position (sic) to supply everyone with a square of sponge. They are easy to make if you have the right sponge. Glue up the split after fitting to the shaft.

Also check for splits/leaks in the gear lever gaiter.
Don't soundproof the floor if you have any leaks around the windscreen!
If you are still talking, you shouldn't really have to raise your voice to have a normal conversation.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 23:15   #12
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

I can vouch for the SoundDeadenerShowdown products. I bought a ton of the stuff which is the same as Dynamat, but he guarantees you only need to apply it to 25% of the surface area of the panel(s). It works great, ships in a small box and is easy to work with. I more or less stopped there wrt to their other products, but they know their stuff.
Old Oct 19th, 2017, 10:00   #13
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

Long time no hear James, how are things electric? Progress report maybe? Pics are mandatory.........
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 01:28   #14
pookie
Premier Member

There's a good friend of mine on this forum ( Mr Thirsty ) who has a P1800. He's done a fair bit of research and soundproofed his car. As a passenger I was astonished by the improvement he's made. I'll give him a call and mention this thread.

Salut!

Pookie
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 13:07   #15
Faust
Master Member

I used Silent Coat 2mm/4mm sound deadening in my Amazon: lined the doors, under the bonnet, rear bulkhead, front bulkhead, rear ¾ panels, floors… everywhere really. I then put Dodo Mat 6mm/9m closed cell foam (interior only) over the top.

Makes quite a difference! (was running with no sound insulation material before, and I was getting a ringing in my ears after long journeys as the car was pretty dam loud – and that’s coming from a Motorhead fan of 30+ years!)

Don’t know much about P1800s, but I found simply replacing the rubber gearshift boot made a noticeable difference by itself. If the sound insulation inside has degraded/is missing, it allows a surprising amount of noise and fumes into the car – as they are under 30 quid for a new one, it makes sense to me. Try running your car with a boot fitted... you'll see what I mean.

As others have said… if you’re going to line the floors, make damn SURE that there are no water leaks into the car – trapped water under whatever product you end up using is a really, really, bad scenario.

My girlfriend owned my Amazon before me, so she has no problem with noise and smells produced by older cars – guess I’m lucky! That said, a bit of background noise in a car can be useful in blocking droning from the passenger seat (only joking, love, if you read this!).
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Faust For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 18:18   #16
MAMDaveM

Default Sound deadening update

Lots of great advice on the subject. Now formulated a plan, which is,

Block the gap with foam where the steering column enters the firewall .
Double check that there are no other holes in the firewall
Check integrity of the gear lever rubber gator
replace/fix the missing gasket where the rear bumper support bracket enters the boot.

Sound proofing to be installed in 3 areas;

Under the bonnet, Dynamat extreme plus Dynamat hood Liner
Firewall - Dynamat extreme plus Dodo Sound Stopper MLV
Boot - Dynamat extreme plus Dodo Super Liner

Materials have been ordered and I plan to measure the Sound level baseline plus with each of the additions and I'll report back in a week or so.

For those interested in sound deadening the website recommeded by c1800 www.soundeadenershowdown.com is by far the best I've come across.

At the moment I'm not planning to remove the carpets and put sound deadening on the floor.

The noisy diff is a seperate subject that I will probably need to tackle in due course.

The advice as usual was very much appreciated THANKS!

DAve
MAMDaveM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAMDaveM For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 19:52   #17
dingov70
Master Member

I was going to reccomend Dynamat or a similar product ( worked very well in old LandRover ! ) but was beaten to the starting line . As for eliminating "smells" replace any / all grommets & seal with high temp silicone , however an old car is always going to present it's aromatic features to those who least appreciate them . maybe a thick smear of Vicks applied directly to theri top lip may help , Who knows & keep me posted on that one
Old Oct 21st, 2017, 09:35   #18
Underdrive

Ear plugs and a decent air freshener should sort it in the mean time, for less than a fiver!
Underdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 10:53   #19
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

Ive got a big roll of bituminous sheeting, not the felt variety, not thick, cut pieces and stick it to all the metal panels where it wont be seen. Helps a lot.
Roofing felt will do a similar job. Can then use felt sheets over the top for more padding.

Is your diff knackered ? Does it have clean oil ? etc.

Last edited by volvoid; Oct 22nd, 2017 at 10:59.
volvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 17:04   #20
MAMDaveM

Default diff noise

I'm sure the diff isn't knacked, just whines under drive. The sound isn't an alarming one, I seem to remember reading somewhere that the diffs can be noisy even when new. I did notice that there was a little bit of lateral play on the RHS driveshaft, but though this is because it needed shiming or I just hadn't tightened the castellated nut sufficiently. There doesn't seem to be much backlash on the propshaft and no clunking when taking up drive.
MAMDaveM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sound insulation