Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P1800S Indicators

Views : 589

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2018, 14:21   #1
Waddii

Default P1800S Indicators

Before I remove the steering wheel one more time I wondered if anyone can tell me what I am doing wrong to have 'self engaging' as well as 'self cancelling' indicators!

Inside the top part of the steering column assembly, where the switches are housed, is a cylindrical steel component with a flange one one side which is clearly there to cancel the indicators. It can be rotated independently of the column. It has a small slot in the flange which tempted me to put the steering wheel on so that the little peg on the bottom of the steering wheel hub engaged with the slot in this flange.

Result: Put indicators on, go round corner, straighten out indicators 'self cancel'.

Perfect BUT: Indicators off, go round corner, indicators 'self engage'! Aaagh...

Should the peg not be in the slot?

Any advice on how to get rid of this unwanted side effect.
Waddii is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Waddii For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2018, 14:44   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Waddii;

I'm not intimately familliar with the 1800 cancelling mechanism, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was similar to the 122 mechanism where the "Cancelling Collar" turns with the Steering Column and works upon the switch mechanism to cancel it when engaged...it's up to you to figure out how it is "self engaging"...I expect that will require you to take it apart again...

Maybe a look at the 122 Mech will shed some light...see also: http://www.sw-em.com/Directional_Ind..._Mechanism.htm

Good Hunting!

Edit: You might want to document this work well with some pix, for the next owner who needs to get up-close-and-personal with the mechanism...(if you can't post on a site, I could add it to SW-EM page article...)

Last edited by Ron Kwas; May 20th, 2018 at 15:04.
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2018, 14:46   #3
kishor

Default indicators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddii View Post
Before I remove the steering wheel one more time I wondered if anyone can tell me what I am doing wrong to have 'self engaging' as well as 'self cancelling' indicators!

Inside the top part of the steering column assembly, where the switches are housed, is a cylindrical steel component with a flange one one side which is clearly there to cancel the indicators. It can be rotated independently of the column. It has a small slot in the flange which tempted me to put the steering wheel on so that the little peg on the bottom of the steering wheel hub engaged with the slot in this flange.

Result: Put indicators on, go round corner, straighten out indicators 'self cancel'.

Perfect BUT: Indicators off, go round corner, indicators 'self engage'! Aaagh...

Should the peg not be in the slot?

Any advice on how to get rid of this unwanted side effect.
Hi

you are right, that the slot is for the peg to turn it off. Do you have a steering wheel boss fitted by any chance. You may have it over tightened
Ta
kassie
kishor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kishor For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2018, 15:39   #4
Waddii

Thanks Both, looks like the blasted thing will have to come off again then! I'm sure, looking at the link you kindly provided, it is a re-use of the 122 mechanism. It could well be a lube or even alignment issue I expect.

I let you know what I find.
The Following User Says Thank You to Waddii For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2018, 23:23   #5
Pigeon
Volvo-loving biker

I made it do that once... unfortunately I can't remember much about it so long afterwards.

The one thing I do definitely remember is that it was some kind of misalignment problem when putting it back together.

Rather more vague memories include...

- it being a bit touchy/fiddly to get the alignment actually correct, as opposed to just seeming to be correct but later turning out not to be.

- something about the two return levers (see Ron's link) being able to go funny somehow and start being engagement levers as well.

- the usefulness of repeatedly checking it's still working at every further stage of the reassembly process.

Basically I think you need to have a good peer at it with a good light while you take it apart and wiggle things and see what catches on what where and what doesn't

Be kind to pigeons
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2018, 12:35   #6
Waddii

Smile

Just spent an hour taking the steering wheel and indicator cancelling mechanism apart. It turned out the link Ron sent was very helpful indeed and the problem was just 50years of detritus and drying lubricants. A thorough clean and lubricate has sorted out the problem. The drag caused by the goo was enough to give the unwanted indicator engagement.

Thanks to everyone, especial Ron.
Old May 27th, 2018, 13:12   #7
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Waddii;

Detritus...funny...I know that from the bottom of the aquarium...or under the couch...I suppose it can also occur in automotive components...

Did you take any pix? Was mech similar to 122 mech?

Thanks for the kind words.

Cheers

Last edited by Ron Kwas; May 27th, 2018 at 13:29.
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2018, 15:07   #8
Waddii

Hi Ron,

The mechanism is the same as the 122 in the link and so were my pics! So, nothing useful to post really. I cleaned everything with WD40 and paper towels first and then lubricated with some new grease on the column and the companion piece contact areas plus a squirt of electronic contact cleaner on the switch springs and levers. I checked the little pin on the steering wheel engaged in the slot in the companion piece, put it all back together and he presto it works perfectly!

Cheers