Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 lack of response to accelerator

Views : 38677

Replies : 84

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 9th, 2010, 00:38   #1
DBGlos

Default XC60 lack of response to accelerator

Hi everyone

Have been over the moon with the XC60 - had it just over a year now - marvellous!

Now I've got the rising oil level problem - hopefully in on Saturday but cant help thinking that I'm wearing my bearings with diluted oil no matter what the technician says!

Anyway on to my problem... thought I was imagining it at first. The car is a geartronic btw

Driving home late one night and couldn't decide whether the accelerator pedal felt right... or rather the response to my input or lack of it! Accelerating out of a roundabout into a country road and the car didn't seem to want to 'go' just no response. I put it down to paranoia and the fact that I was steering at the time and perhaps the 'brain' though it a bad idea to accelerate at that point on a bend...

But it is happening more and more until tonight it was almost unresponsive.... I can only liken it to my teenage years VW beetle... no acceleration you just get slowly faster! The revs would slowly go up to about 3500 and it sounded as though the geartronic didn't want to change up and the car sort of pootled along. It did it repeatedly with my foot slammed to the floor - nothing! Neither did I have any warning lights/messages on the dash of any form!

Stopped the car as soon as I could pull in and switched off then restarted the car and all was fine - pushing the pedal to the floor then brought on the shove in the back and kickdown I am used to!

Any ideas what the heck is happening here? It seems a bit random and I just know that the car will behave beautifully when it goes in to the dealer on Saturday so would like some idea of what might be the problem as the car is giving me no indication that anything is wrong apart from the lack of guts!

Clues anyone?
DBGlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 22:03   #2
T1gger

Default Identical problem

Hi,

I just had the recall for "Oil overfill condition" applied to my 2009 2.4 XC60 Geartronic and 5 days later I have started to see the exact symptoms you describe.

Press the accelerator to the floor and it just doesnt want to go.

Odd thing is it seemed to pick a speed (60mph) and refuse to go higher. It didnt seem to be engine related as if I went into Manual and dropped a gear the engine revved higher but it still refused to go above 60mph.

Tonight on the way home it stuck at 65mph, again dropping a gear made the engine rev higher (so the engine doesnt seem to be constrained) it just doesnt accelerate.

It comes and goes - most noticable uphill or when engine under strain.

I saw another post in the forum talking about the Particulate filter and temp sensors but guess I'm in for another trip to the dealer.

Did your problem get resolved ?

Have you had the SW update that came with the recall above applied ?
T1gger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 10:53   #3
nemokina

Smile

No idea about the problem. But wish you can solve the problem soon.
nemokina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 15:16   #4
snowy1

Mine has just had the temperature sensor replaced and it runs fine now. Beforehand it was just not accelerating at all and would not rev above 4000rpm started intermittent but got worse over 2-3 weeks. A known problem apparently (another one!!) it's seems the temperature sensor can't sense the temperature in the DPF so goes into limp mode to stop it overheating just in case,even though of course it isn't. Was told it was ok and safe to drive on but I wasn't quite sure how pulling out of a slip road onto a fast road or off a hard shoulder on to motorway and finding it wasn't accelerating could be deemed safe! Dealer replaced it no questions though. Fourth problem with mine in 4 months of ownership which is a bit irritating especially as I do actually love the car.

Last edited by snowy1; Feb 4th, 2011 at 15:18.
snowy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snowy1 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 17:47   #5
thanosgr
Thanos

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy1 View Post
Mine has just had the temperature sensor replaced and it runs fine now. Beforehand it was just not accelerating at all and would not rev above 4000rpm started intermittent but got worse over 2-3 weeks. A known problem apparently (another one!!) it's seems the temperature sensor can't sense the temperature in the DPF so goes into limp mode to stop it overheating just in case,even though of course it isn't. Was told it was ok and safe to drive on but I wasn't quite sure how pulling out of a slip road onto a fast road or off a hard shoulder on to motorway and finding it wasn't accelerating could be deemed safe! Dealer replaced it no questions though. Fourth problem with mine in 4 months of ownership which is a bit irritating especially as I do actually love the car.
Yes exactly like mine.
Replace DPF temperature sensors and power come back.
thanosgr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thanosgr For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 12:01   #6
ak888

Just started having an issue similar to this (D5 AWD Geartronic). On start up the car does not pull at all,t eh car has to build up and I have to mash the accelerator. There comes a point where the car kicks down and then all is happy again. At first I thought it was the gears (geartronic), tried using it in manual mode but no luck.

Theres no warning lights, to me it seems the turbo fails to spool up as theres massive turbo lag. Then for what ever reason, when I have left the accelerator, the car seems to spool up and power away (quite dengerous first time this happened, but luckily no cars ahead).

So once I can get what I assume is the turbo to spool up or the car starts pulling away, all is well the accelerator and the engine responds as per normal.

Can anyone who have had this problem confirm if the replacement temp sensors resolves the issue?
I am going to book my car to the dealer to have a look.
ak888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 15:52   #7
thanosgr
Thanos

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak888 View Post
Just started having an issue similar to this (D5 AWD Geartronic). On start up the car does not pull at all,t eh car has to build up and I have to mash the accelerator. There comes a point where the car kicks down and then all is happy again. At first I thought it was the gears (geartronic), tried using it in manual mode but no luck.

Theres no warning lights, to me it seems the turbo fails to spool up as theres massive turbo lag. Then for what ever reason, when I have left the accelerator, the car seems to spool up and power away (quite dengerous first time this happened, but luckily no cars ahead).

So once I can get what I assume is the turbo to spool up or the car starts pulling away, all is well the accelerator and the engine responds as per normal.

Can anyone who have had this problem confirm if the replacement temp sensors resolves the issue?
I am going to book my car to the dealer to have a look.
Yes! It resolves the problem.
I've done that at October (both DPF temp sensors) and November again because the second sensor was malfunction...
thanosgr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thanosgr For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 16:01   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBGlos View Post
Hi everyone

Have been over the moon with the XC60 - had it just over a year now - marvellous!

Now I've got the rising oil level problem - hopefully in on Saturday but cant help thinking that I'm wearing my bearings with diluted oil no matter what the technician says!

Anyway on to my problem... thought I was imagining it at first. The car is a geartronic btw

Driving home late one night and couldn't decide whether the accelerator pedal felt right... or rather the response to my input or lack of it! Accelerating out of a roundabout into a country road and the car didn't seem to want to 'go' just no response. I put it down to paranoia and the fact that I was steering at the time and perhaps the 'brain' though it a bad idea to accelerate at that point on a bend...

But it is happening more and more until tonight it was almost unresponsive.... I can only liken it to my teenage years VW beetle... no acceleration you just get slowly faster! The revs would slowly go up to about 3500 and it sounded as though the geartronic didn't want to change up and the car sort of pootled along. It did it repeatedly with my foot slammed to the floor - nothing! Neither did I have any warning lights/messages on the dash of any form!

Stopped the car as soon as I could pull in and switched off then restarted the car and all was fine - pushing the pedal to the floor then brought on the shove in the back and kickdown I am used to!

Any ideas what the heck is happening here? It seems a bit random and I just know that the car will behave beautifully when it goes in to the dealer on Saturday so would like some idea of what might be the problem as the car is giving me no indication that anything is wrong apart from the lack of guts!

Clues anyone?
You cant really guess here with so many possible causes , a fault code should be stored to give a clue as to where the fault lies .

It could well be the particle filter temperature sensor . Also the wiring loom could be rubbing through on the bracket near the power steering pump your dealer will have a bulletin on this . But fault codes will lead the way here when investigated ..
( throttle codes for the wiring problem and particle temperature sensor codes for the sensor )
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 19:12   #9
ak888

Had it in at the dealers and diagnosed as the exhaust sensor which is the DPF sensor. Also had the two recalls, one to fix the oil level problem that also came with a new owners manual to replace the old one and another for something else, software related as well.

Not even 10k on the clock and the fronts are down to 3mm.......time for a pair of front tyres as well now.

Last edited by ak888; Feb 25th, 2011 at 19:46. Reason: Corrected the replacement document - its a new owners manual
ak888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 19:14   #10
T1gger

Default XC60 auto - no accelleration

I have had the same issue, limited response to accelerator & car in "limp mode".
Dealer Diagnosed it correctly from the onboard engine management computer logs as one of the Exhaust sensors reading 1000 degrees c ! so the engine thought something might be amiss and decided not to do any more acclerating.

Replacement of the Exhaust sensor cured the problem.
T1gger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to T1gger For This Useful Post: