Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 auto overdrive fault.

Views : 873

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 4th, 2005, 00:58   #1
John Davies
VOC Member

Default 940 auto overdrive fault.

Oh dear.

My wife 1991 940 automatic is playing up. The overdrive has a life of its own - it sometimes won't switch off after it has been operated; one clicks the switch without success and then a few miles down the road - or a few days later - it will switch off again.

On other occasions it will switch itself on - light comes on and everything - and then - and have to be switched off - if it will. Sometimes varying speed and changing up and down help it to disengage. I think.

As far as I can see the possible faults are -

1. Weak internal spring on selenoid - presumably this would cause the selenoid to operate and light to come on (as far as I can see) if there was a surge iof pressure within the box. Question - can one dismantle the selenoid and change the spring or does one have to change the entire selenoid? - If so does one have to drain the oild from the box first? The Haynes book is useless as far as the auto box goes.

2. Faulty switch/relay - switch appears fine. Relay 'clicks' when fuse removed, but haven't removed and bench tested it yet.

3. Faulty earth - can cause selenoid problems, but I can't see how it would cause this particular set of problems though.

All suggestions welcome!!

Thanks

John Davies

PS Anyone got a working selenoid for sale? Is it the same as a 240/740 unit?
John   Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 12:30   #2
nedah

Default RE: 940 auto overdrive fault.

I have a 1992 940 Manual which recently displayed similar symptoms in the overdrive mode. The problem was traced to a corroded terminal at the solenoid. The condition of the terminal allowed the voltage to vary between 0.3v and 12v which explained the intermittent nature of the fault. Cost of replacement part 20p, cost of labour £40.

Not sure if this helps with your auto box but hope the solution proves to be as simple.
nedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 16:15   #3
MIKE WALKER

About 13 years ago on a 240GLE I had a problem with the overdrive disengaging itself when I was cruising at 70MPH.
I eventually traced the fault to a faulty INHIBITOR SWITCH on the outside of the gearbox casing. This was a simple cylindrical switch which was activated when 4th gear was engaged. The purpose of this switch is to prevent the overdrive being engaged in all gears except 4th.
I fitted a new switch (£10.00 in 1992) and it worked perfectly.
I am not sure if 940s have this inhibitor switch but it is worth a look.

Mike Walker
London
020-8656-3383
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 11:24   #4
dustyv

Default RE: 940 auto overdrive fault. - Question

Hi,
I have a 1991 940 SE estate Auto.
I am confused re this "Overdrive" issue. I have the normal 4 speed auto box BUT at just over 60 mph a 5th gear seems to come into being - is this the 'overdrive'?Also, if this is so, is it totally automatic, as I haven't any other switchgear to either operate it or stop it's operation.
I also cannot find any documentation relating to any overdrive on the 4 autobox.
Obliged for your observations and advice.
dustyv
dustyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 01:11   #5
John Davies
VOC Member

Default RE: 940 auto overdrive fault. - Question

Sorry - my sloppy terminology - comes of years with manual overdrive boxes.

Correctly speaking, our 940 has a switch which operates a selenoid to lock out fourth gear on the auto box, thus enabling you to stay in third when towing etc. - useful for hills etc.

Regards

John Davies
John   Davies is offline   Reply With Quote