Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Restart problems on 965 SE

Views : 814

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 11th, 2005, 13:49   #1
Davib B

Dear all

I would appreciate your help with the following problem.

My 1995 965 SE has developed the fault of refusing to restart when cold. For example if the car is parked and the engine is cold but I need to move it to let someone out it starts fine but if I turn the engine off it will not start again. If I drive it 20 miles so the engine is warm and then turn the engine off for a short time e.g. to refuel it starts again with no problem.

There is never a problem starting it cold first time.

The battery is heavy duty and was replaced a couple of years ago.

My local Volvo main dealer has been unable to diagnose let alone cure the problem.

Can anyone help please.

Many thanks

David
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 17:08   #2
Citizen.Agfa
VOC Member

Default RE: Restart problems on 965 SE

G'day. Got this from Honest John in the Telegraph;

Rio not grand

My wife runs a 1994 Rover Metro Rio that she has had from new. It has covered 16,000 miles to date. It has been serviced at the recommended intervals but has developed an annoying, intermittent problem of refusing to start, usually after a run of about two miles. It will start if left for about half an hour and always starts from cold. Have you any idea about the cause?
J.W., via email
Yes. Overfuelling from its miserable life of short runs. All that is happening is that the ECU is trying to protect the catalytic converter from all the unburned fuel slopping around in the engine, caused by its life of short runs from cold starts. Give the car a bit of proper exercise and you might be able to save its life.

Now I know you haven't got a Rio but the principle's the thing; presuming your 965 has a cat then the ECU is preventing fuelling 'cos it senses existing fuel around the sensor; however, if your car ain't got a cat then I'm buggered if I know.

Good luck and let us know how it goes, regards, Nick H.
Citizen.Agfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 01:33   #3
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: Restart problems on 965 SE

Try the Brickboard FAQs on this website. This will tell you the most likely cause or causes which you can then eliminate those which have no effect.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote