Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 diesel turbo intercooler auto estate must sell

Views : 751

Replies : 0

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2010, 10:04   #1
slimlavud

Default 940 diesel turbo intercooler auto estate must sell

1995 940 S DTIC (diesel turbo intercooler) auto estate, lovely green/blue metallic colour, excellent body NO RUST, few scratches on the bonnet.
Has just 102,000 miles on it, but head gasket is starting to go. Has had a head gasket recently I think (red Hermetite peeping out from gasket edge).
I have checked the timing belt and tensioners and they are nearly new (probably when the head gasket was replaced)
It has MOT until September 11th, taxed til end of October 2010.

Has:

ABS brakes - working perfectly, light goes out etc
Towbar with single electrics
Front electric windows
7 seater conversion (in place with all parts but needs one seat belt fitting (supplied)
Mudflaps all round (original Volvo)
Good grey/red stripe cloth interior with one cigarette burn hole in drivers seat cushion
Heated seats that seem to work fine
Perfect headlining (later type that does not droop)
Volvo rubber fitted mats plus carpet overmats at front and rear
Very good carpets
Heater works perfectly, no leaks etc
Front and rear fog lights
perfect auto box with lock-up at 55 mph that all works perfectly
No leaks or noises from rear axle
Good propshaft, centre bearing etc all good
Brakes all checked, new quality rear pads just fitted and fluid changed very recently
No leaks (apart from coolant occasionally from header tank)
New filters and synthetic oil just fitted
New tyres on front, Budget ones - recent Goodyears on back
New spare tyre (budget one)
Jack etc
Original Volvo stereo cassette/radio all working
Remote central locking and VolvoGuard 1 alarm (remote needs batteries)
Newish battery - starts first time every time
Good exhaust - new over axle pipe supplied as this is a bit grotty.
No service history but condition points to 102,000 miles as being accurate
Very smart and original under the bonnet (not been steam cleaned to tart up) - original Volvo hoses, pipes, fan belts etc, all make me think the mileage is genuine and that it was loved in its previous life
Reason for selling - I can't afford to run this any longer, have a smaller car to use and a motorcycle and need to pay the mortgage!

For £500 it will come with a pump timing kit and valve shim tools - not needed for this car as it has the hydraulic tappets.

Kit consists of:

Mitutoyo dial guage (high quality Japanese guage)
Correct adapters for guage
Pump locking pin
Brand new boxed never used Hazet valve lifter tool for shim replacement
Brand new boxed never used Hazet valve shim pliers

Plus two-speed electric fan and mountings from a 960 to replace the engine-driven fan (I was going to do this to save fuel and get rid of the noisy engine-driven fan, will need a sensor plumbing in, I can advise on this)
Although the head gasket is starting to go (I think), it has not boiled up since I have had it (6 months and 3,500 miles), takes some water occasionally, smokes a tiny bit on start up - much less than most, and smokes under hard acceleration - the usual bit of black smoke.

Has a half-speed 'tick' noise when warmed up which makes me think that the head gasket may be blowing but this could be the vacuum pump.
It runs very well, starts up on all cylinders instantly and uses no significant oil between changes.

I have put some K-SEAL into the water system but this has made no difference.

I need to sell this by end of this week, so try an offer but I do have more than this in the car. £500.
I am in North and West London, could possibly deliver to East Anglia this coming weekend - 21/22 August.
Thanks, Simon. Call, do not email me please: 020 8987 0955 days
020 7687 0203 evenings.

I will try and post some pics tonight but the car is as described - very smart looking!
slimlavud is offline   Reply With Quote