Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 tdi wont fire help please

Views : 1060

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 18th, 2010, 13:38   #1
steven 850tdi

Default 850 tdi wont fire help please

hi there all im new to this forum but im at my witts end with my 1996 850tdi i cant get power to the glow plugs ive checkd fuses relays they all seem fine the car is lazy when turning the engine over i bought a new battery it turned it over 5times then it went flat ive got diesel to the injectors and put new glow plugs in it i just cant get power to the glow plugs help is needed thanks all
steven 850tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 14:03   #2
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

The glow plugs on these cars won't come on unless the temp is below 5 degrees, I'd suggest trying a tow (if its manual)

I assume you've checked for timing belts ect, all usual stuff?

Its possible you could have an air leak and the diesel is running back too the tank

Give us a list of what all you've checked so far and symptoms up too now (if any)

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 18:46   #3
steven 850tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NI_Volvo_Nut View Post
The glow plugs on these cars won't come on unless the temp is below 5 degrees, I'd suggest trying a tow (if its manual)

I assume you've checked for timing belts ect, all usual stuff?

Its possible you could have an air leak and the diesel is running back too the tank

Give us a list of what all you've checked so far and symptoms up too now (if any)
hi mate thanks for that info i didnt know that ive done all belts new diesel pump got diesel to the injectors but still no joy the pig tale heating plug light on the dash doesnt work is this because of the temp?? can you explain the lazy turning over of the engine thanks mate
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 20:46   #4
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Lazy turning I would guess is the starter / battery (which you say you replaced) / bad earth, bad earth can be checked by using a jump lead from the engine too the battery, has the car ran since replacing the belts? These engines are critical about the pump timing, I'm in a similar situation myself, I replaced the engine in my S70 TDi and it hasn't ran since, before fitting the engine I replaced the timing belts, so I'm hoping when I check the pump timing I will find it not right. I also have diesel too the injectors, got the engine too fire on easy start and I have towed it 4 miles, I've even put an injector on a pipe outside the engine and am getting fuel through at least 3 injectors, there is no other god given reason why mine won't start either.

Yep, the glow plug light will not come on unless its below 5 degrees

Old Jul 20th, 2010, 07:56   #5
steven 850tdi

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by NI_Volvo_Nut View Post
Lazy turning I would guess is the starter / battery (which you say you replaced) / bad earth, bad earth can be checked by using a jump lead from the engine too the battery, has the car ran since replacing the belts? These engines are critical about the pump timing, I'm in a similar situation myself, I replaced the engine in my S70 TDi and it hasn't ran since, before fitting the engine I replaced the timing belts, so I'm hoping when I check the pump timing I will find it not right. I also have diesel too the injectors, got the engine too fire on easy start and I have towed it 4 miles, I've even put an injector on a pipe outside the engine and am getting fuel through at least 3 injectors, there is no other god given reason why mine won't start either.

Yep, the glow plug light will not come on unless its below 5 degrees
yes mate also changed the alternator and starter to ive got fuel to 3.4.5 injectors not 1or2thow so i hope thats why mine wont fire do you know the fireing order of these engines mate a cant really tow it no tax mot etc etc
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 20:24   #6
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Have a look at the threads I've put up and the routes I've been down, I got the tools again tomorrow too check my timing, and I'll report back

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...t=NI_Volvo_nut

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...t=NI_Volvo_nut

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=96657

Old Jul 20th, 2010, 23:32   #7
CherryB

Hi there, could it be the no. 4 injector with the run sensor on? Had a similar experience with a vw t4 van, injector 4 sensor had packed up telling the ecu that it failed to fire. Worth testing (don't know how to , mind), but they are jolly pricey... 250 for my v70 p2 tdi, plus the dredded..
Just a thought..
CherryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 08:20   #8
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

I had tried another pick-up injector, but didn't connect it, I was told by a VW expert that the Injector wouldn't need to be connected for it to start, but its my next step if I find that the pump timing is right

Old Aug 4th, 2010, 10:02   #9
steven 850tdi

Red face

Thanks peolpe got it running pump timimg was out dial gauge did the trick
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 18:29   #10
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Me too, got mine taxed and back on the road today