Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wipers not returning

Views : 904

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 22:49   #1
Patrick Garland
Patrick

Default Wipers not returning

240 DL. The wipers on the front screen fail to return to the down position when the control stalk is turned off, instead they just stop where they are. Anyone any ideas ? Thanks.
Patrick Garland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 07:47   #2
Peter D
Peter D

Default RE: Wipers not returning

This is caused by either the un switched power feed ( Ignition On ) has failed or the parking contact inside the motor gear assembly has work/broken. Check for + 12V at the connector and the two motor on speed lines if they are all there then motor it is. Regards Peter
Peter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 18:04   #3
Patrick Garland
Patrick

Default RE: Wipers not returning

Apologies for not thanking you sooner for advice but computer has been on the blink. Have checked bits as suggested and power up to motor is all ok. Before I got a reply I had mistakenly thought it may be the relay so hunted high and low for it. It was not where the Haynes manual said, down in the passenger foot well, but up behind the centre console. Relay was working fine so will have to replace motor. Thanks again.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 22:42   #4
Patrick Garland
Patrick

Default Wiper not returning

I have just replaced the front windscreen wiper motor as suggested and unfortunately it does exactly the same with the new motor. I know the new motor is not faulty because I took it off my 'number 2' car, a 240 DL, and it was working ok five minutes before. So in summary, the front windscreen wipers stop as soon as the wiper control stalk on the steering column is returned to the off position instead of returning the blades to the 'park' position. Anyone got any further suggestions ? Something which I didn't mention before but have since noticed is that when you pull the stalk towards you to wash+wipe, only the water comes out, no wiping occurs. Whether this is relevant to assisting in a diagnosis I have no idea, but all suggestions welcomed !!
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 00:07   #5
GronyTeen

I've often found the Haynes manual to incorrectly place relays... nevertheless it's a good game to play "hunt the relay"

My wipers had a similar problem 3 or 4 years ago, it was quite a simple fix, as the mechanism under the dash had slipped... just had to convert my hands and arms to very bendy rubber and re-adjust...
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 19:49   #6
Patrick Garland
Patrick

In fairness to the Haynes Manual people I have just realised that my manual which I have had for many years only covers models 1974 to 1988. I have now progressed to more 'modern' machines and hadn't realised. So may be the correct manual may show the relays in the right place ! I will have a look under the dash and have a play around. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 11:34   #7
Peter D
Peter D

The wiper motor has 4 connections to it. There is a permanant ( Ignition On)12 v Fuse 2feed on on Yellow two wires GN and BN for the two speeds and a W-SB wire from the interval delay relay and the other connection is the ground The parking is the function of the motor not the relay. Regards Peter
Peter D is offline   Reply With Quote