Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Noise and lack of power

Views : 6837

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2010, 16:10   #1
Anthony S60

Default Noise and lack of power

I have a Volvo S60 d5 which within one trip has gained two problems:
1) “Engine System Service” required message has come on and I have a complete lack of power.
2) When I stop the car it makes a lot of noise. On investigation, I have found a valve on the return from the intercooler to the manifold is just chartering and will only move with my assistance.

Does anyone know:
A) if the two are related and
B) what is the purpose of the valve
Anthony S60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 23:23   #2
Beavis
Premier Member

hi anthony s60, not sure on the rest, but when the "engine system service required" message up, it turned out the swirl throttle arm had broken on my d5 xc90.

i didn't experience loss of power, (well so i thought at the time) but others have experienced Limp Home mode.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...t=85945&page=3

check this link out to check.

sorry i can't help on the intercooler bit.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 07:21   #3
Anthony S60

Many thanks for your reply.
There was an arm that’s off. (Please see Picture)
Is this the correct one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volvo1.JPG (114.9 KB, 136 views)
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 08:19   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

yes that is the one , if you push the flap arm in the head fully one way it will enable you to drive but you will have a lack of torque up to 2000 rpm . it depends which way the flap is when the link breaks as to whether you break down or not ..

The proper way to fix it is the modified later parts the swirl throttle shaft and modified link , injector clamp kits and new injector pipes ... as the top cover of the engine has to come off . this will cost several hundreds of pounds .. and the modified parts are known to have failed but generaly much better .

If it were mine i would look at it and decide how to repair it myself , Not an easy job getting to the lever in the head but have a look in a model shop where they sell radio control planes and cars and find a metal ball socket joint and rod and make your own repair which will be the final repair in my opinion ..

Volvo a repair kit which is a pin and spring clip about £ 3 but not easy to drill a 2 mm hole in the arm in the head and its a poor looking repair that doesnt always last!
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 08:50   #5
Anthony S60

I know how I’ll be spending my Saturday.

Will the “Engine System Service … ”message clear after the car has be run for a few miles or is it somehow latched and will need resetting at a garage?
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 12:27   #6
Beavis
Premier Member

the error will disappear after a few days from the display, but i think it is still in the car memory so needs to be erased.

i had the "volvo £3 repair", which an indie replaced for me for around 30 mins labour, but it broke after 2 months.

in the link that i posted i managed to drill the hole out a bit more, and fit a M2.5 screw from Maplin and so far for the last 6 weeks, it has held well.

i couldn't bear to pay hundreds of pounds for a part which is only a couple of quid.

although i did not notice the car to be down on power whilst broken, i noticed an increase in torque after repair.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 16:26   #7
Anthony S60

Default Noisy intercooler valve

Many thanks for your help. I've repaired the linkage arm and located the source of the noise.

On the return from the intercooler there a value. Which like the broken linkage arm, is driven hard to one end of its travel when the engine stops.
In my case it has stripped the teeth of one of the cogs in the valve assembly.

I am trying to get a replacement but despite having supplied the attached pictures to my local Volvo dealer have been unable to find one.

Does anyone know the correct part number for the part pictured?
And more impotantly a cheap source for a new one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg valve.JPG (250.1 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg valve location.jpg (285.4 KB, 79 views)
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 10:55   #8
Bernard333
Premier Member

What age is your D5 ? Looking at your earlier photo of the complete engine area I can see quite a few differences between my Dec 2003 D5 and yours , I am assuming yours is the newer 185bhp version ?
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 11:45   #9
Anthony S60

Default Inter cooler valve

It's a 55 Plate. I've been told, because it has a plastic manifold, it is a 2006 model engine but I'm not sure if this is true.

It is a 185 BHP version
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 19:29   #10
Barnster

Default Following with interest

I am following this thread with great interest as I too had the same symptoms about a week ago.

Long story but same noise and broken swirl throttle linkage - fitted "repair" kit to swirl actuator arm which promptly broke the whole arm. Replaced the swirl throttle "rod" in top of head.

I still have a loud motorised metal rotating against metal sound on engine shutdown for about 5 seconds which stops if the ignition is switched back on, only to reoccur when switched off again. It also appears to do this upon engine start up.

From my limited knowledge I would guess it's either part of the fuel pump or EGR actuator.

Not 100% sure but waiting for an authority to advise so I can fix!
Barnster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d5 noise, lack of power