Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 R Design Pro B5 or B6

Views : 821

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 12th, 2021, 11:24   #1
xc60ed

Default XC60 R Design Pro B5 or B6

Hi all, I am looking to get an ex demo XC60 R Design Pro to replace my 6 year old D5 2.4 XC60, which has been a fantastic car.

I have test driven a D5 R Design Pro and really liked it but due to lockdown cannot test drive the other engine variants. I have spoken to a dealer that I have used before and I can get a good offer an either a B5 diesel or B6 petrol ex demo. I assume the B5 diesel will drive very much like the D5 I test drove but with slightly better economy? Has anyone driven, or own, the B6 Petrol and can compare against the B5 diesel?

The dealer reckons the B5 D will give around 40 mpg in mixed driving and the B6 P in the late 20s. This is obviously a major part of my decision and I will need to think about the extra fuel cost, but I do fancy going back to petrol after many years of diesel. Also the 300bhp should make it a bit more fun and with how things are going with the anti diesel brigade it may have a better residual 5 years down the line.

Finally can the B5 D and B6 P be Polestar optimised as this made a big difference to the throttle response/gear changes on my old D5 ? It is not clear from either the Volvo or Polestar websites if the new B variants can be optimised.

Thanks for your help.
xc60ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 11:27   #2
Cull06
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc60ed View Post
Hi all, I am looking to get an ex demo XC60 R Design Pro to replace my 6 year old D5 2.4 XC60, which has been a fantastic car.

I have test driven a D5 R Design Pro and really liked it but due to lockdown cannot test drive the other engine variants. I have spoken to a dealer that I have used before and I can get a good offer an either a B5 diesel or B6 petrol ex demo. I assume the B5 diesel will drive very much like the D5 I test drove but with slightly better economy? Has anyone driven, or own, the B6 Petrol and can compare against the B5 diesel?

The dealer reckons the B5 D will give around 40 mpg in mixed driving and the B6 P in the late 20s. This is obviously a major part of my decision and I will need to think about the extra fuel cost, but I do fancy going back to petrol after many years of diesel. Also the 300bhp should make it a bit more fun and with how things are going with the anti diesel brigade it may have a better residual 5 years down the line.

Finally can the B5 D and B6 P be Polestar optimised as this made a big difference to the throttle response/gear changes on my old D5 ? It is not clear from either the Volvo or Polestar websites if the new B variants can be optimised.

Thanks for your help.
Last time I checked, polestar weren’t offering optimisation on the new B engines. But someone on here said they had taken them for a test drive and said frankly they didn’t need it anyway as the new electric turbo spooling provided good responsiveness.
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 12:28   #3
techwatcher
Master Member

I have had both D5 and B5 D XC60s. There's not much difference in how they drive - the B5 may be slightly (and I mean slightly) peppier. Fuel economy is slightly better.

40 mpg is probably doable in the B5 D - my own car, new in September 2020, had averaged 38.1 over the first 4300 miles.
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 13:13   #4
Vinesh

I have a B5 D - took a while to get to 37-40mpg, had mine for a couple of months, tyre pressures seemed to make a big difference. On a decent run i get 40mpg, around town more like 30mpg
Vinesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 15:08   #5
Chrismccann

I’ve just gotten the B5 Inscription Pro and did test a D5 before. Whilst the time between the test of the D5 and buying the B5 was quite long the B5 seems to pull lower down presumably due to the electric motor spooling up the turbo to reduce lag? I’ve been trying to enquire about the Polestar myself as an upgrade but someone suggested it has already been optimised. The 0-60/62 times are quicker than the D5 version.
Chrismccann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 15:50   #6
xc60ed

Thanks for the replies. My 2.4 D5 has averaged 32 MPG over the 6 years I have had it so no doubt that the B5 should be better. The B6 does appeal but just worried how bad the economy will be if I use the 300 BHP. The T8 would be perfect but is out of my budget.
xc60ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 16:18   #7
Cull06
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc60ed View Post
Thanks for the replies. My 2.4 D5 has averaged 32 MPG over the 6 years I have had it so no doubt that the B5 should be better. The B6 does appeal but just worried how bad the economy will be if I use the 300 BHP. The T8 would be perfect but is out of my budget.
The B6/T6 is just the same B5/T5 with a supercharger though(?). I only find the supercharger comes on (the whine gives it away) when I put my foot down. So anecdotally speaking, it might not cause a discernible increase in fuel costs day to day(?).

Last edited by Cull06; Jan 12th, 2021 at 16:37.
Cull06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 16:34   #8
CocoPops
VOC Member

I’ve tracked my B5D over the last 7k miles here:
https://www.fuelly.com/car/volvo/xc9...ocopops/981992
(Make sure you select Uk mpg in top left of screen.)