Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wide Steel Wheels 5.5j

Views : 5550

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 21st, 2013, 06:21   #11
Amma122s

Depends how far you want to go with this..but they come up from time to time on this here in sweden http://www.blocket.se/hela_sverige?q...is=1&l=0&md=th

like these..http://www.blocket.se/vasterbotten/D....htm?ca=20&w=3

Second pic..two 5,5 kpz wheels but the guy wants 1000 swedish kr each.

2st Original volvo 5,5" breda kpz fälgar.
Amazon sport, 123gt, pv
Fälgarna är i bra skick.
1000:- st

Amma122s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amma122s For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2013, 06:26   #12
Amma122s

Or these described as new ?? for 3000kr for the set..http://www.blocket.se/skaraborg/Falg....htm?ca=20&w=3

from these guys http://www.volvodelar.se/
Amma122s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amma122s For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2013, 13:40   #13
BilBrud

the rims Harry sells in Floby are usually welldone, blasted and coated as well....
BilBrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 14:04   #14
jimbo1593
Master Member

I would be tempted to say that if you want the car to be right, which I think you do given the tone of your post and your budget, I reckon getting custom made banded steels would be the best option.

I note you have used Jim Hekker's pic, so I assume you have read his experience of banded steels on volvo adventures. This would mean whilst you could just go wider on the rear to fill the arches; to maintain good handling and a standard scrub radius (reducing tramlining and bump steer) you would need double banded wheels on the front, to give increased width but same or similar offset. More pricey but still within your budget by. Add to this you can specify your own colour and coating (paint, powder, enamel).
jimbo1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimbo1593 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 15:17   #15
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1593 View Post
I note you have used Jim Hekker's pic, so I assume you have read his experience of banded steels on volvo adventures. This would mean whilst you could just go wider on the rear to fill the arches; to maintain good handling and a standard scrub radius (reducing tramlining and bump steer) you would need double banded wheels on the front, to give increased width but same or similar offset. More pricey but still within your budget by. Add to this you can specify your own colour and coating (paint, powder, enamel).
I wouldn't recommend that unless it is all calculated / checked for fit EXTREMELY carefully. In the article mentioned, I suspect that the reason the writer had no issues with clearance is due to running much smaller diameter tyres - approx 30mm reduction in overall diameter compared to standard. I appreciate the point about offset and scrub radii, however it is worth noting that the inboard clearances are very tight even with standard 165/80R15 tyres on the 4.5J ET25 wheels. Widening the wheels inboard too far is likely to cause the tyres to rub on the inner arches on full lock (especially at the rear part of the front inner wings), and then there is also the possibility of issues with clearance off the brake lines and track rod ends. Not impossible to solve this, but the main solution seems to involve adjusting the steering stops to reduce the steering lock. Not a problem perhaps for a track car, but it would not be my preferred solution for a road car due to the increased turning circle.

Interestingly the 5.5J wheels, whether the wide steels or genuine Minilites (I don't have figures for the copies), match the backspacing rather than the offset, & thus maintain the same inboard clearance as standard. From the reports I have read, the difference in offset compared to standard doesn't seem to be detrimental to the steering either.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 222s For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 19:48   #16
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amma122s View Post
Or these described as new ?? for 3000kr for the set..http://www.blocket.se/skaraborg/Falg....htm?ca=20&w=3

from these guys http://www.volvodelar.se/
yeah a set like these would do very well i have managed to locate two fro a ember all being well on price etc but i have just walked in the door after a weekend of driving so will have a (_)P and message him see what we can do but a small progress is btter than no progress at all

cheers for info guys

robert

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2013, 09:38   #17
DJS

Hi Robert.
Did you get the pictures that I mailed over last week?
Cheers,
Darren.
DJS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJS For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 28th, 2013, 09:46   #18
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS View Post
Hi Robert.
Did you get the pictures that I mailed over last week?
Cheers,
Darren.
yeah i was getting weekend outta the way i will reply in a mo ............. to leads on some wheels cheers

cheers

kind regards
robert

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 16:26   #19
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

any more updates ? my one lead has gone cold , i will buy from sweden if i have to i tried the listings on blocket all ended now and searching with the website is hard at best

i will have to try a google translate maybe

cheers
robert

Old Jan 9th, 2014, 19:24   #20
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Wink got em at last - yippeeeee

hi ya folks

i was lucky enough to locate two secondhand wheels from a very nice forum member and also over xmas i found from europe a deal going on 400 euros R thank you and jumped on the bandwagon and ordered there last 4 wheels they had in stock , im super duper made up and they look fantastic

so my mission has come to a end for now i just need to pick the two second hand ones up to complete my set i had already as i had mentioned on here

kind regards

and thanks all for helping in my search happy new year

robert

ps if anyone wants some here is the url to the page i ordered them from http://www.volvoklassiekerswebshop.n...-c-68_110.html for when they get more stock in
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 090120142284.jpg (139.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 090120142285.jpg (130.5 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by 123GT-AMAZON; Jan 9th, 2014 at 19:39.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 123GT-AMAZON For This Useful Post: