Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 T4 Power Loss - Turbo doesnt seem to be working

Views : 6464

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 2nd, 2009, 17:40   #1
Igat

Default V40 T4 Power Loss - Turbo doesnt seem to be working

It appear like I have a problem on my V40 T4 there is a sharp drop in power and I assume it has some connection to the turbo. The car in every other way is fine. It runs fine, no misfire etc etc just not the performance it once had. Any ideas what I should do would be apreciated.

Regards
Liam
Igat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 22:53   #2
t4 b4192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igat View Post
It appear like I have a problem on my V40 T4 there is a sharp drop in power and I assume it has some connection to the turbo. The car in every other way is fine. It runs fine, no misfire etc etc just not the performance it once had. Any ideas what I should do would be apreciated.

Regards
Liam
it maybe the boost control solenoid which is clipped onto the back of the air filter box with 3 pipes and a plug going to it,quite commonly these fail and are about £37 new,getting your boost pressure checked would shed some more light,it could also be a loose or split boost pipe or a failing actuator
Old May 20th, 2009, 16:59   #3
hongkongbong
HKB

Default T4 - turbo solenoid....

Hi t4 b4192

can you recommened a supplier for the solenoid? i cant seem to find one on ebay or locally. except for 90 quid. 37 sounds a lot better to me!

i have just purchased a T4 , (wish id read through this forum before purchasing!) its had all the 'classic' MAF, oxygen sensor, fuel pump thing done to it by former owner - but still lacking full power.

hoping this, and a few other pointers i have learned on this forum will make an improvement.

A big thankyou to all contributors.

HKB
hongkongbong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 17:29   #4
t4 tony
Master Member

hello hongkongbong, i bought one not to long ago. if you go to the mebers list and look for a guy called RUFE,you can pm him and he'll sort you out a treat.
t4 tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 20:16   #5
knobby

Funny this, I've just checked my boost and found it was down (0.7bar) so I've ordered a new Boost Control Solenoid...£39.00 from my local independent.

Ordered today will be here tomorrow.

Matthew
knobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 22:49   #6
Dazza007
Dazza007

Knobby, boost 0.7? did you do a compression test cos that what the compression ratio is on a T4. or was it the maximum boost of the rev range?
Dazza007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 15:45   #7
knobby

Maximum boost in the rev range.

Matt
knobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 09:44   #8
sweepy2

Smile Dead turbo

Quote:

Regards
Liam
I have exactly the same problem myself. I have tested the switch behind the air cleaner which has 3 small air tubes attached. With the power disconnected I cannot blow through it with my mouth. With the power lead re-attached: at tick over it remains closed and as I increase the revs it opens and I can measure 12v at the lead.
I've been scratching my head and hoping to get lucky and find a mouse hole in a pipe.......hasn't happened yet! I will follow your post with great interest
sweepy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 14:32   #9
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:

Regards
Liam
......before you spend any amount of money, depending how many miles your engine has done check the wastegate actuator and you may well find that where the connector goes over the spindle which has the split pin through it, it does actually wear an elongated oval, thus letting the wastegate open and leak pressure.....you could slacken the locknut FIRST before taking out the pin, lift off the connector very gently as by forcing quickly may damage the diahpragm it is connected to, and then turn in 2 turns, don`t do half turns due to the angle of wear....put the pin back in and then tighten the locknut......if it makes no difference then you could put it back where it was and look elswhere.....by doing this first it may save you any money at all if it`s the problem......

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 14:40   #10
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobby View Post
Funny this, I've just checked my boost and found it was down (0.7bar) so I've ordered a new Boost Control Solenoid...£39.00 from my local independent.

Ordered today will be here tomorrow.

Matthew
.....also if the ECU detects your engine is not at the required running temp. it will not allow full boost.....this is well felt when the engine is running just after a cold start......you should let it warm up properly before using the turbo but of course if you need the power suddenly and the engines cold you will notice on the gauge it won`t boost so much...ensure the temp. sensor is ok and also the thermostat.......

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, slow, turbo, v40 t4