Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wiring Diagrams

Views : 1607

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 29th, 2006, 16:12   #1
ALLOA
Master Member

Default Wiring Diagrams

Does anybody have access to 240 wiring diagrams in colour? I recently 'built' the remains of an 'F' reg 240 GLT into my Torslanda. I can start the engine and idle it but should the engine stall it is not east to restart. In addition on firing up the engine does not seem to spark when the ignition is held round at position 4 on the barrel but rather when the key is released and resumes position3 on the barrel. The ignition barrels on the two cars do not appear different but I suspect that I am missing something!

Alternatively any other suggestions welcome!

Thanks and Regards

S
ALLOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 07:25   #2
Erling
VOC member

Hi;
This diagram is mostly monochrome, but hopefully it might be of some help. It's the only one I know of that's readily available on the net:
http://www.autoelectric.ru/auto/volv...989/740-89.htm
Old May 30th, 2006, 08:04   #3
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLOA
Does anybody have access to 240 wiring diagrams in colour? I recently 'built' the remains of an 'F' reg 240 GLT into my Torslanda. I can start the engine and idle it but should the engine stall it is not east to restart. In addition on firing up the engine does not seem to spark when the ignition is held round at position 4 on the barrel but rather when the key is released and resumes position3 on the barrel. The ignition barrels on the two cars do not appear different but I suspect that I am missing something!

Alternatively any other suggestions welcome!

Thanks and Regards

S
I think I read a thread about somebody with exactly the same problems with the ignition switch on the forums a few weeks ago.
Have a hunt through, and I'm sure you will find it. I seem to remember that some GLT's had a twin supply to the coil (mine seems to have). One at 12v in position 4 for starting, and one through a ballast resistor at 6v for normal running, position 3, the idea being to give a big fat spark for starting. (Its a 6v rated winding, so sort of overboosted for starting), so if the Torslander does NOT have this, you might have to look at bridging somewhere?
Old May 30th, 2006, 09:45   #4
penninepullman
VOC Member

Volvo appear to make some subtle wiring changes from year to year. I found this out when using part of a 1989 wiring loom on a 1988 car (both 760 GLE V6s). Car would only start when original loom put back.

Volvo produced separate wiring diagram books for every model for every year. The Owners Club Tecnical Director and Model Registrars hold some of these. If you are a VOC member it could be wortwhile contacting either of them.
penninepullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 10:17   #5
Peter D
Peter D

I'm thinking ballast resistor here but what year is your Torslanda and what ignigtion system have you got as you do not detail what parts you have fitted. Regards Peter
Peter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 11:43   #6
Peter D
Peter D

There are two different Ignition barrels for the 240. The later with a three ganged switch came in with the EZ116K ignition system on the B230Fengine. However they all feed a 12V signal to the coil but the EZ 230F goes via a fuse in the main fuse box. This also feeds the Igntion module. Give me more information. Regards Peter
Old May 30th, 2006, 15:25   #7
daddyo350

Guys;

Not sure if all your models are coevred but I've found this site very useful.

http://www.volvotechinfo.com/WD123/

Hope this helps.
Old May 30th, 2006, 16:56   #8
ALLOA
Master Member

I've used the complete loom and engine from the 240 GLT. The Torslanda did have the lamda sond, ECU etc... but all of this has been removed to make way for the GLT loom. This was removed from the donor car starting at the headlights and working back. It was removed through the bulkhead c/w the plate and as far back as the fuse box. The loom from the rear of the car to the front was moved forward likewise (basically everything back to the fusebox.) Fitting into the Torslanda was basically the reverse of all of this. The 'multi' at the back of the ignition barrel is what is concerning me. It can only fit in one position. The ignition switch itself is the original one from the Torslanda.

As mentioned the car will start but not when held round at 4. When the key is released it will start (sometimes) on what appears to be a weak residual spark.

As Alec mentioned it may be that I have to splice a couple of wires together.

If the No 1 plug is removed there is no sparking when the car is being cranked. Only when the key is released to its usual position for operation.

Would any wiring diagrams be intricate enough to distinguish differences between a GLT (mechanical injection) and a Torslanda ( ECU, LAMDA ETC...)

Thanks to all

S
ALLOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 19:26   #9
Peter D
Peter D

I'LL SHOUT THEN, 'AND THE YEAR OF MANUFACTURER OF THE CARS' ?????

Regards Peter
Old May 30th, 2006, 20:14   #10
Glen Morangie
Economy motorist

Presumably 'F' reg 240 GLT' would be 88 mod.Yr and Torslanda would be 91 on.
Glen Morangie is offline   Reply With Quote