Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S80 Dashcam hardwire

Views : 1125

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 10th, 2020, 19:37   #1
Badwolf

Default S80 Dashcam hardwire

Good evening all,

I have a 2012 S80 and have just installed a Nextbase 422GW dashcam using Nextbase's hardwire kit. I followed the directions, and chose a fuse to "piggyback" that controlled something that would only be powered with the ignition on. However, the dashcam appears to be charging even when the ignition is off, and the "Low Battery" warning now occasionally appears on the dash display. The car still seems to start ok though.

Any thoughts please? Thanks in advance.

BW.
Badwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2020, 08:32   #2
37 RUBY
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badwolf View Post

Any thoughts please? .
Yes - use a multimeter or test lamp to locate a fuse that really isn't live.

It's a modern computer controlled car. Plenty of components can have a permanent live if they are earth switch controlled.

Last edited by 37 RUBY; May 11th, 2020 at 10:13.
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 37 RUBY For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2020, 19:41   #3
seanc

In mine, I used the cigarette lighter fuse because it's only on when the car is on, or wakes up due to being unlocked/locked, after that it powers off.
Old May 13th, 2020, 12:33   #4
Model flyer
Master Member

When choosing a fuse to piggy back from be aware that some fuses/ circuits don't go dead as soon as you switch off ignition. Circuits can remain live for a minute or two or until the car is locked . The best way to check is to connect a bulb or meter that can be seen from outside the car and then switch off and lock the car . As already said some circuits can stay live for some time after car is locked. Some dashcams need a switched live and a permanent live . The permanent live is to ensure the clock is kept going when car is idle for long periods.
On my V70 I found a switched live and a permanent live behind the overhead light cluster.
Dash cams with batteries are fine until the battery dies and they then produce noisy recordings or in readable recordings. Modern dashcams are switching away from battery to super capacitors for their power.

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2020, 14:08   #5
Model flyer
Master Member

Further to last message . I forgot to say that many dashcams use a 5.3volt and need a psu if hard wired into the 12v system . The accessory plugs they come fitted with often have a voltage reduction unit fitted in them so do check before connecting direct to 12v supply.

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
The Following User Says Thank You to Model flyer For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2020, 16:50   #6
Maurice Mynah
New Member and total Prat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model flyer View Post
Further to last message . I forgot to say that many dashcams use a 5.3volt and need a psu if hard wired into the 12v system . The accessory plugs they come fitted with often have a voltage reduction unit fitted in them so do check before connecting direct to 12v supply.
Many thanks for that info Model flyer I think you have just saved me from a whole world of grief. I have just purchased a Nextbase 522 and the Nextbase rear camera and sure enough, you are dead right, it's a 5volt system with the power dropper in the plug. The whole thing is far too technical for me to fit. I think it's heading off to my mechanic.
Old May 20th, 2020, 12:17   #7
Model flyer
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Mynah View Post
Many thanks for that info Model flyer I think you have just saved me from a whole world of grief. I have just purchased a Nextbase 522 and the Nextbase rear camera and sure enough, you are dead right, it's a 5volt system with the power dropper in the plug. The whole thing is far too technical for me to fit. I think it's heading off to my mechanic.
Its really not hard to fit . Here is a link for hard wire kit on e-bay

Old May 27th, 2020, 10:12   #8
V70greg

I have the same model of dash cam, all you need to do is find a fuse which is switched by the ignition.

Took me a while to find one, at one point I tried the wind screen wiper one, ended up only charging when the wipers were moving... would have been funny to have them moving all the time.

I didn't know about the voltage and just plugged in the Nextbase kit and it all worked no problem.

Sound to me like you were not doing anything wrong just need to keep trying fuses until you find a switched one!

Hopefully you managed to do it yourself
V70greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2020, 10:28   #9
jodiexii

I had trouble finding switched live on 2007 S80.
All fuses under glove box were still showing as live with ignition off.
So I used fuse box in boot.
jodiexii is offline   Reply With Quote