Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Critique my Suspension set-up

Views : 2282

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2020, 20:20   #11
Bracpan

Higher the car the more air that goes under the car and the more it will lift...
Gravel springs are for rough roads and more clearance if you want less lift lower it..the lower the car the lower the centre of gravity... but please don't confuse that with your roll centers they are a different thing all together.
You could fit a front air dam but to be honest I think they look out of place on an Amazon.. but it would help the lift..
Bracpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2020, 11:31   #12
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The +25mm gravel springs are firm at the front and slightly soft at the rear to help with drive. They are still firm but with the long travel give a good ride and soak up even the roughest bumps.
Body roll is reduced from original, some of the rally drivers remove the ARB as with tight cornering the ARB gives some wheel lift = less grip
At 120+ MPH I can not say I have ever felt the car to be unstable with these springs, with worn out original springs yes. With narrow high sidewall tyres it will always feel a little sloppy.

Some the problem you were having with the front lifting would have been down to springs and dampers allowing the car to lift (float in the air) as the air speed increased under the car. Another way to combat this is to go lower at the front that the rear, that will make the air push the car down rather than lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTom View Post
Classicswede: I will contact you for the soft poly bushes, thanks. My only experience of the normal front anti roll bar and no rear anti roll bar was my previous car which was decidedly light at the front at high speeds to the point where I didn’t really feel safe. My present car is exactly the same set up as that except with the thicker anti roll bar and as I said that suffers from no lift or wobble. This is completely unscientific it’s just my two bits of experience.

I like the idea of the adjustable gas shocks but will have to think if the expense justifies this flexibility. Knowing me, I’ll set them at a particular point and then never change this, ever.

Do the +25mm gravel give any more lurch when cornering, since the car sits higher?

Thanks.

Tom
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2020, 09:57   #13
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

This may help with deciding on suspension set-up. Taken from R Sport catalogue.
Attached Images
File Type: png R sport.png (55.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: png R sport 1.png (12.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: png R sport 2.png (112.5 KB, 26 views)
Old Jun 13th, 2020, 08:06   #14
jimbo1593
Master Member

I'm a big fan of the amazoncars springs, have them on my amazon and much better than offtheshelf liwering springs i had on previous Amo.
I also think Gaz are better than Bilstein front and rear; i've had both.
I have previously polybushed everything and been happy, but some say use rubber for certain bushes.
Also make sure your balljoints are ok, steering correctly adjusted, good quality tyres (less than 10yrs old max), and get suspension set-up.
jimbo1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimbo1593 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 31st, 2020, 11:27   #15
BLS07

Default IPD front ARB

Does anyone know of a solid source for an IPD front ARB set up, please?
(preferably not coming directly from US..customs fees ain't nice)

I'm not keen on the full kit with IPD's rear bar, at this point.

Although, I am interested in Dai's thinner rear ARB reference in the thread here.

Cheers!
BLS07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2020, 12:14   #16
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Brookhouse and VP autoparts sell a 1” front bar.
Old Dec 31st, 2020, 12:21   #17
Derek UK
VOC Member

Brookhouse do a 1" ARB upgrade kit that you might want to consider. I stand to be corrected but I think the standard one is 7/8" and the IPD one 1 1/8" so a useful increase in stiffness. A small increase in diameter gives a much more stiffness than you might expect. It's not directly proportional to the increase. Google sway bar stiffness for formulas.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 31st, 2020, 12:24   #18
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Full kit and 1” front. https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...tabilizer/964/
Old Dec 31st, 2020, 13:44   #19
BLS07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Brookhouse do a 1" ARB upgrade kit that you might want to consider. I stand to be corrected but I think the standard one is 7/8" and the IPD one 1 1/8" so a useful increase in stiffness. A small increase in diameter gives a much more stiffness than you might expect. It's not directly proportional to the increase. Google sway bar stiffness for formulas.
Hi Derek,

This is great, thanks!

Yep I noted the ARB Simon and team have on offer, too.
Has anyone used Brookhouse's ARB offering?

Guess I've had many folks point me in the direction of the IPD ARB's, (but IPD seem to only offer F+R kits), and was hoping to get my hands on just the fore-for-now.
BLS07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2020, 13:49   #20
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS07 View Post
Hi Derek,

This is great, thanks!

Yep I noted the ARB Simon and team have on offer, too.
Has anyone used Brookhouse's ARB offering?

Guess I've had many folks point me in the direction of the IPD ARB's, (but IPD seem to only offer F+R kits), and was hoping to get my hands on just the fore-for-now.
On my 142 but that is a much bigger difference. If only doing the front the 1” is probably a sensible option.