Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Solved: Volvo Guard 1 remote C/L range.

Views : 2744

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 30th, 2014, 00:21   #11
Forrest
VOC Member

Mine only required a very minor adjustment but I have found I have had to go back in a couple of times and tweak the blue component. On the last occasion I gave it a good turn in both directions before fine-tuning it and it seems to have been more stable. I wonder whether it has degraded over time. I'm guessing the tuning circuit is a simple LC circuit comprising the variable capacitor and coiled inductor.

I own four fobs with two in daily use. I have three of one circuit design and one which looks quite different, like xad001x0w describes in his second post. The different one seems a bit reluctant to work from a long distance but has the advantage that it lacks the flat, black two-pin component that has a tendency to break away from the circuit board. This has happened at least once to all three similar fobs.

If anyone has a broken fob that won't work/light the red LED when the button is pressed despite new batteries (correctly inserted) then check for this component inside the fob. It can be repaired using a carefully applied blob of solder.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2014, 17:47   #12
Forrest
VOC Member

Default Another go at it

The instability I described above continued so I have today tried something more drastic. Variable capacitors of this vintage are aparently notorious for becoming unstable with age. These (Murata TZB4Z060AB10R00 2 to 6 pF) are an exact replacement for the blue component.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MURATA-TZB...-/171138420639

It is worth getting more than one. They are very small and hard to find when dropped. This link is for a pack of five.

Ideally, one should remove the trianguar receiver from the car before attempting this repair, but I did just about manage it in situ. You need a soldering iron with a fine tip to avoid damage to surrounding components. It is important to get the replacement the same way around as the original. I marked the top of the original with a felt pen before removing it then using distinctive markings on the underside to ensure the replacement was fitted the same way around.

Miraculaously, the remote is now working again. I'll report again if it lasts or not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Murata.JPG (131.7 KB, 18 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2014, 18:22   #13
James_EG_940
Felonious Fanatic

Glad people are finding that this works, I apologise for never coming back and adding photos - it's been at the back of my mind for ages!

I can confirm that my fob has seen no degradation in performance since I've applied this fix - this is probably why I've never bothered to pry the little cover off and take more photos for this thread.

I agree with Forrest that if you have no luck or a stable setting cannot be found then your best bet is to replace the variable capacitor and that if you have a good soldering iron with a fine tip it should be easy enough to replace in situ. Although if you are a bit more novice with soldering then ripping all the A pillar trim off and getting access to the PCB is your only hope.

As I think I mentioned before, I also ran in an antenna extension round the entire cabin of the car, this allows me to play my favourite game: making people think they've unlocked the wrong car at Tesco. I can lock/unlock the car a good 5 or 6 times before I get to it from the front door of the shop, made someone jump once!

Cheers
-James.

Please PM if you know of any black 940s being broken! I'm really keen for a driver's door and both front wings! Paint code 19-23
James_EG_940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to James_EG_940 For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2020, 10:25   #14
loic t5r

I unearth the topic, because I am in France, and I have the same problem with my Volvo Guard 1 so I will do the manipulation after buying batteries for the remote control which works more for 10 years !!
I hope it will work on mine.
loic t5r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loic t5r For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2020, 15:34   #15
TonyS9
Premier Member

I also tried this and it works temporarily. I think what is happening is some temperature compensation is not working correctly and you need to keep adjusting it. Eventually the alarm died due to a low battery voltage and failed start attempt and I had to bypass it.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2020, 17:40   #16
Forrest
VOC Member

I am pleased to report that nearly six years on my repair by replacing the Murata capacitor (post 12) is still working very nicely. The fob works from a considerable distance away and the unit has not required any subsequent adjustment.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 8th, 2020, 10:21   #17
James_EG_940
Felonious Fanatic

It will definitely be the failing adjustable capacitor as per Forrest's post earlier. I have noticed too that it varies due to temperature but with all the components being heading for 30 years old now it's not surprising. If every component in that little triangle drifts even 1% in value it will really upset the sensitivity of the receiver especially when it works at such a high frequency.

I'll try and look more closely at what's going on on that circuit board and reverse engineer it at some point but replacing the little variable cap and retuning should solve most issues for the time being!

Please PM if you know of any black 940s being broken! I'm really keen for a driver's door and both front wings! Paint code 19-23
James_EG_940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to James_EG_940 For This Useful Post: