Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Do I need software update when replacing ETM?

Views : 6444

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2009, 20:22   #1
bloto

Default Do I need software update when replacing ETM?

Hello,

I am going to replace my 8644346 old ETM with new Yellow one 8644347 in my S60 2.4T 2001 because I am afraid that I may be in danger because of it. It happened 2 times for me that when I pressed accelerator to maximum position the car went to reduced power mode and I had to stop it. Lets imagine that sitiuation when you overtake another car. As a result I would for sure not wory about that ETM anymore.

Do I need to go to software update of my car after device replacement or will it work?
Has anyone tested it without software update?
Would it be possible to resolder circuit board from old device to avoid software update?

Thank you,
Regards,
Tomasz
bloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 23:45   #2
NickBW

Yes acording to Vadis. I had ETM replacement eight months ago. Dealer made no mention of software upgrade so assuming it was not done - Stealer has to pay Volvo for software download - I find most dealers pretty untrustworthy all PR Marketing and dishonesty. I worked for a mixed franchise group long enough to know not to trust most of them. I tell them exactly what I want done and go over everything in fine detail. (I do most servicing myself anyway). So it will work but not optimally. Be warned this fault will reoccur in time so use best quality petro oil and change both plus filters oil air frequently. 3000 is my choice with XC70!
NickBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 20:27   #3
bloto

I really don't know what to do next. I would like to do it myself, I mean replacement and if it will work thats fine but If not then I will need to place it back and go to dealer for software upload and replacement.

Do you think ETM has some standard software inside or its just empty?
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 15:34   #4
bloto

Anwering my own question, nobody seems to know...

- It is needed to do software update.
- yes it will work If you resolder circuit board between 8644346 and 8644347
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 16:42   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

No a new one wont work without a re-load software , why not fit it yourself and tow it in for the software?
You wont swap the circuit boards inside , they are bonded to the alloy heatsink . Long gone are the days of soldered connections and PCB's they are high tech welded wires and connected to each other with wire so fine you cant see it and then its all encased in a jelly substance ...
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 21:01   #6
jrtonks
2001 V70 T5

Default DIY ETM replacement

I wanted to have a crack at mine myself too - but the dealer said it wouldn't work. How much should one have to pay for the ETM replacement?
jrtonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 22:25   #7
kevin derby uk

i just got fed up and payed Nottingham Volvo dealer £165 for the EMT and had it fitted in derby for £84 = derby wanted £227 for the EMT. the car now drives brill on petrol but still stalls sometimes on gas CNG but I'm getting there. of course if any ones got any ides please feel free to comment
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 06:24   #8
billadam

Wink General: Do I need software update when replacing ETM?

As for software for the ETM upgrade, it may overwrite the ECU calibrations but I couldn't tell you for sure without either the TNN/bulletin number or software download part number. If you have that info shoot me a PM or email or post up and I can find out for certain.

If downloads are available I recommend to get them done for modules like CEM, DIM, SRS, etc... Modules on the low speed network (firewall backward) will not usually affect the ECM calibaration software.