Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ETM - Refurb by Autotek

Views : 2478

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 8th, 2011, 17:37   #1
Andypa

Default ETM - Refurb by Autotek

Hi

I've just changed my still going strong 1997 V70 with 148,000 miles for a late 2001 2.4 140 bhp V70 with 102,000 miles. All was exellent for the first few hundred miles........

But then, revs started racing on idle and limp home mode when driving, usually, but not always accompanied by messages either "engine system service" or "engine system service urgent", have also just had "power reduced" message. When it started (a week ago) it would sort itself by switching engine on and off, also messages would eventually clear as well. But on Friday I couldn't get it running properly and gave up.

On Saturday, I cleaned out the ETM thoroughly with brake cleaner and an old toothbrush as advised by local main dealer. Started ok, but went into limp home mode within a mile. It wasn't very dirty inside anyway.

Another point that may be relevent, when I bought the car there was a very slight judder when switching off the engine, almost like a slight run-on. This is much worse when in limp home mode and and at times during all this has been going on, has been much better. Could be related, or an early indication of impending failure?

So it looks like changing the ETM is probably necessary. It looks like the price of the unit has gone up recently as I was quoted £295 +vat from Volvo (part only) and a local independant quoted the same as it is dealer only. I've seen older posts on here where the part only was around £150 from volvo

The current best option seems to a BBA refurb which apparently now changes it to a non-contact part so it shouldn't wear again, around £200, still to verify price with BBA

However I've also seen on here a re-furb from a company called 'autotek' in Dorset for £131. I guess at this price it just re-furbs it to the original design. I've e-mailed them to confirm.

My question is, has anyone any experince of using this option with autotek?

Any other up to date advice would be welcome (I think I've already read all the threads on this subject)!

Cheers
Andypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 18:40   #2
25150106bullhead

Just to let you know mate i have same problem with my c70 t5 I have spoke to BBA and have been quoted around £141.00 +vat
25150106bullhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 22:02   #3
Andypa

BBA are the best option

I had a practice run yesterday getting wiring off. Once ETM was off, took bracket off from back of starter motor so that plug would fit through. Took about 20 mins, put it back on with wiring round the front temporarily so that I can drive it. (I know it's a different arrangement with a turbo)

Will be phoning BBA again tommorow to pay and arrange collection on Monday

Just to let you know, my local volvo dealer tipped me off unofficially that there's a local garage (central garage carcroft) that can re-program used ETM's, i.e from the wreckers, apparenlty main dealers can't do this, they can only program new 'virgin' parts! When I spoke to John at central garage who was very knowledgable and helpful, he told me that he does about one volvo etm a week and that in 97% of cases re-programming will take on a part from the wreckers. He charges £85 for this and says that the wreckers charge around £70 for the part. He also said that BBA were very good and that he had bought parts from them before. I think for the extra £40 or so a re-furbed one is less of a risk, plus I haven't found one yet from the wreckers. BBA told me that there is one less arm? moving up and down the contact strip than on the original part, thus less wear and better design?

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to Andypa For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2011, 18:04   #4
Andypa

Stripped ETM off the car and rang BBA on Friday to arrange for collection today (Monday) by UPS from my wifes workplace (she stayed half hour late until 5:30 cos' that was the latest that it should be picked up by)

They didn't turn up!

Local UPS depot say no request has come through to them, BBA say that it was definitley booked for collection today, but they will put another request on for tommorow

Great start and I could have been using my car today instead of cadging lifts

Don't know who's at fault, BBA or the UPS but I am only directly a customer of BBA, so I guess my gripe is with them. I've already asked if there's a discount cos' I haven't had what I have (or will be) paying for, they said no!

The lesson from this is that it's probably best to arrange shipment yourself - They could be working on it by now if I had sent it myself on Friday
Old May 29th, 2011, 11:22   #5
k1nty

i sent mine myself to them ...they rang me to say they were waiting on parts for these units...i called yesterday for updateand they are still waiting looking like a fortnight turnaround due to a bank holiday.
Old May 31st, 2011, 01:36   #6
stinky

edited: was looking for BBA details, found them here:

http://www.bba-reman.com/content.asp...hrottle_system

Last edited by stinky; May 31st, 2011 at 01:40.
stinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 12:40   #7
Andypa

Yes, that's the one stinky

But don't even consider sending them yours yet until they guarantee you that they have spares (sensors) in stock. See post from k1nty above.

I've now been without my car for 18 days and counting, thanks to them telling me that they would turn it round in 2 days even though they had no spares in stock. They didn't admit to me that they had no spares in until the end of the first full week without my car. They originally told me they were due in Monday of the following week (23/5) then middle of same week, then end of that week

They admitted on Friday that the spares left China on Weds of the same week, but they don't know where they are now because they have no tracking No! They couldn't even confirm that they had been air freighted. I hope this is the case because it's generally 4-6 weeks for shipping!

So, although the last date they gave me is this week, I don't have a lot of confidence in them
Old May 31st, 2011, 16:44   #8
RUTV70
RUTRUNNER

Can understand how you feel, Andy...that's pretty poor when they take on a job they KNOW they don't have the parts for.
Can't be doing BBA's reputation any good.
Hope you get it sorted soon.

Neil

Previous Volvos...264 auto...loved it.
340 manual...not so loved.
760 auto...loved it.
RUTV70 is offline   Reply With Quote