Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo UK & the ETM

Views : 2298

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 7th, 2007, 02:33   #1
Agostino

Cool Volvo UK & the ETM

Hi folks .
I thought that this should be of interest to all.

After the recent debate on the ETM issue, and the publicity on Watchdog.
I wrote a letter to Volvo UK (here in brief) outlining my concerns with the ETM and informing them that I am aware of the situation with Volvo USA.

A week later I got a telephone call from a very nice lady at Volvo UK, whereby they informed me that and I quote;
"If I go to my local Volvo dealer, they will do a clean install and up-grade of the latest updated software FREE OF CHARGE, and this will solve any fault that existed. However if there are any other faults with the engine etc not related to the ETM, there will be a charge" End quote!

To which I asked if I could have confirmation of this in writing.
The lady readily agreed.
So I am now waiting for this confirmation letter, and armed with that I shall go to my dealer and request that the above be done.

I shall up date you with the results, so watch this space.

Regards
Agostino
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 22:06   #2
wheelnut

Thanks for this. I look forward to your feedback. My 2001 2.4 V70 has just started irregular tickover sometimes and slightly dodgy starting.

Anyone any experience of this being dealt with by Bells in Northampton?
wheelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 02:13   #3
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Lady at Volvo UK
If I go to my local Volvo dealer, they will do a clean install and up-grade of the latest updated software FREE OF CHARGE, and this will solve any fault that existed.
Since when has a quick brush up and new software solved the problem of a physicallly defective component?

However, I would read that letter when you receive it carefully. Volvo UK commiting themselves to such a wide-sweeping statment such as this, and on this particular issue would be amazing in itself..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 11:24   #4
Agostino

Hi CTC.

Yep your 100% right. That is exactly why I posted this, I want to see if they actually keep to their word and do what they say.

I will keep you updated on events.

Agostino
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 17:18   #5
arvs31260

The ETM clean and software upgrade has been covered in various threads on the forum. It is as has been identified by many, a quick fix which will merely delay the total failure of the etm.
Beware of Volvo UK and the dealer looking after your vehicle. I think it is an understood fact that many forum members are learning that Volvo say little and do little to avoid mass demand for free replacement.
Pre-Ford Volvo were certainly more entertaining with problems. Now Volvo is controlled by bean counting Americans and we all know what they are like with money not in $$$.
The 5 cylinder engine is a fine piece of kit developed by V.A.G group technicians. The Nippon Denso ignition/fuel injection system is pretty damn decent. Why they had to involve a member of the Fiat group by supplying an etm only the maker upstairs knows.
Tread carefully and remember, softly softly catchy monkey!!!
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 17:23   #6
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvs31260 View Post
The 5 cylinder engine is a fine piece of kit developed by V.A.G group technicians.
I believe that the 5 pot Volvo engine was developed by Volvo with a little help from Porsche on the head..

As for that ETM.. Indeed... Go to a car maker that uses second hand washing machines to make their cars!! Obviously longlivity was not a consideration!!

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 17:40   #7
Agostino

Cool

Hi arvs31260.

Your reading my mind, this is what I'm afraid of.

I'm not sure that v.a.g developed the 5 pot engine. As far as I'm aware it was developed by Volvo with help from another source (don't know who.

Anyway I'll let you know what happens.

Agostino

Last edited by Agostino; Jan 8th, 2007 at 17:44.
Agostino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 19:48   #8
chrisoftheday

Agostino,

I have already had the clean and software upgrade Free of Charge BUT it has not cleared the problem and the unit needs to be replaced - the car is undrivable (the dealer's words!).

Volvo UK are sticking to their offer of a 20% contribution to the £600-£700 cost of replacing the unit which is in my mind NOT GOOD ENOUGH - especially if a British Judge in the recent successful Court case by Andrew Worthington has already said that the unit is 'not fit for purpose' (it should last for the life of the car).

I am currently awaiting a telephone response from Volvo UK whom I have told the offer is unacceptable. I assume I'll have to call them again and write in the last instance - the car needs the part replaced and everyday that goes by is a cost that I am determined will be paid for by Volvo UK when I finally take them to court on the same basis as the recent case - IF necessary!
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 20:05   #9
imac
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCNetwork View Post
Hi,

I believe that the 5 pot Volvo engine was developed by Volvo with a little help from Porsche on the head..

Volvo, Audi (Volkswagen Audi Group) and Porsche all had varying degrees of involvement with the development of the 5-pot.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 20:08   #10
chrisoftheday

Default ETM failures and Volvo Uks Rigid Response (continued)

A further thought,

If those of us who have the problem (and others who will develop the problem - Wheelnut - you're about to have it by the sound of things - that's how mine started six months ago - wish I'd known about the problem then!) make a concerted effort to bombard Volvo UK with the promise of Court Action AND make a full representation of the issue to BBC Watchdog at the same time (name the date) then perhaps we will get somewhere. They can stonewall any number of individuals (on an individual basis) but not a crowd on TV or a list of Court Cases that MUST win as the (successful) precedence has already been set.

We need to maintain a consistent approach so if we each take the lead from Group member 'Andy_eclipse' and take them (Volvo UK AND the dealers) to court (using the same successful argument) we can all get Volvo UK to accept their responsibility if not for ALL Volvo drivers then at least to those of us who make the effort to do so.

Please try to track down any other examples of how many times this has happened in the recent past.

Regards

Chris