Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Any Advice?

Views : 13260

Replies : 248

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2020, 23:53   #11
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Good luck in your quest.

Rust is important including as you mention investment, appreciation, re-sale value. Later 240s have better anti rust protection. Other people will be able to advise about that and about where to look for rust. You mention the estate....light rust below the tailgate behind the rear bumper indicates rust out of sight and not cheap to fix.

If he learns mechanics on a 240, that will impart good fundamental skills. The design is old now. Does he want to learn newer design mechanics instead?

Few garages know the wrinkles of working on 240s now.

There's a lot of helpful knowledge in this forum. But some threads go on for ever before hopefully reaching a result. Sometimes the right people aren't around. Sometimes methodical people with knowledge make wrong assumptions.

Some spares can take time to obtain.

The k jet by the way has an inlet manifold designed to stand a mug of tea or coffee on, and a reputation for reliability, and avoids the diagnosis problems of jetronic.

My jetronic estate works for me.

Brakes issues can be elusive. Start by following the very specific 240 bleeding instructions.

Before doing anything significant to a 240, search this forum, and ASK.

Good luck.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 23:54   #12
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

How about the 'A' reg estate currently advertised in these forums. They don't come much cheaper, and it would appear to have considerable potential. Sort the MOT and improve as you go along. No connection with the seller, but the fact he's a forum member must be preferable to buying an unknown car off the 'net. Given what good examples make nowadays, you could do a lot worse.

Regards, John.
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 00:02   #13
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
How about the 'A' reg estate currently advertised in these forums. They don't come much cheaper, and it would appear to have considerable potential. Sort the MOT and improve as you go along. No connection with the seller, but the fact he's a forum member must be preferable to buying an unknown car off the 'net. Given what good examples make nowadays, you could do a lot worse.

Regards, John.

Agreed.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 00:27   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post

The k jet by the way has an inlet manifold designed to stand a mug of tea or coffee on, and a reputation for reliability, and avoids the diagnosis problems of jetronic.

My jetronic estate works for me.
The K-Jetronic inlet manifold has many uses!

As for diagnosis, the K-jet Vs the later L-jet, LH-Jet etc is very much swings and roundabouts. Some faults are easier to diagnose on the K-Jetronic and others are easier on the L or LH-Jetronic if you can use a multimeter and know what to look for and where. Some faults get a bit more involved such as ECUs but they seem to be forming a failure pattern lately.

As you put it, your Jetronic (K or L/LH?) estate works for you - each to their own, both will give valuable knowledge to anyoen starting out "in the game" and if the young lad does choose to go into automotive engineering, anything he lerns on either will rpovide good grounding for leanring about the modern stuff.

After all, the primary basic function of a 4-stroke engine is suck, squeeze, bang, blow. It's the various systems around the engine that facilitate that, whether it's the cam timing, crankshaft motion, ignition or exhaust system. They all work together to make the engine run and once you get your head round that and how one can effect another, you've pretty much got it sussed, whether it's carb, injection, petrol diesel or whatever else.

That's a very simplistic way of describing it but if you break down each system into smaller, manageable parts to learn, you can understand it all.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 00:33   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post

Regards, John.
This one John?

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=302553

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 00:53   #16
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Yes, 'L.S.', that's the one. J.
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 21:24   #17
Chris152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
As for diagnosis, the K-jet Vs the later L-jet, LH-Jet etc is very much swings and roundabouts. Some faults are easier to diagnose on the K-Jetronic and others are easier on the L or LH-Jetronic
I read that and my head started spinning, but I like the 'suck, squeeze, bang, blow' bit, I followed that! I can see we need to do some reading...

I saw the DL advertised on here but we've spoken about it and it's pretty clear that we need to get something we can sit in and drive home and hopefully, having watched this evening's Car SOS (Rover P6) has solid bodywork. I'd rather we spend the extra and get something that's up and going properly so he can work to improve things rather than rebuild, if we can get it at the right price. That said, the market's not exactly flooded with them at the moment, so we'll have to see what comes up - though he's clear it needs to be petrol and manual (I loved my auto, but clearly he knows better).

It's all quite complex when you come to this new - I've just been reading the Wikipedia entry on the 240, too many variables and I've found your thoughts far more helpful in trying to narrow things down.

Thanks all.
C
Chris152 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 22:40   #18
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
Thanks so much for all the replies - loads to start thinking about there. I think it has to be a 240, something about the style of them that we both like - even if the 7s and 9s might have plusses that we'd lose out on.

Insurance is a real issue these days, so I think turbo will be out of the question and we'll be looking for something that's cheaper, but hopefully not underpowered (and fuel injection comment taken on board). Getting my head around how insurance works is beyond me, though.

Trying to get decent mpg will be a good challenge for him - tuning as well as possible, driving carefully. And I think if we can find the right car, loss of some money on petrol (he won't be doing anything like high mileage) might be offset by the overall investment in a beautiful car that's going to appreciate with both work and time.

I know he's trawling the net as we write, and he's following this thread - we really appreciate your comments and, once we find the right car, will be back to bother you with endless questions, no doubt!
Hi.
If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2020, 09:54   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
I'd rather we spend the extra and get something that's up and going properly so he can work to improve things rather than rebuild, if we can get it at the right price. That said, the market's not exactly flooded with them at the moment, so we'll have to see what comes up - though he's clear it needs to be petrol and manual (I loved my auto, but clearly he knows better).

C
Have you seen this one?

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=302227

It ticks many of your boxes as far as i can tell but it is auto.

However on the year it was made, i'm fairly sure it will have the ZF 4-speed (with overdrive 4th and Torque Converter Lock-up) so economy and performance will be good, especially with the B230E under the bonnet.

It seems to be in relatively good order throughout with a few bits needing some TLC/fettling to improve it but still with plenty of scope for a young enthusiast to "make it his".

I noted your comments that your lad said it had to be manual but has he ever driven an auto? Come to that, has he driven a manual? The clutches tend to be pretty heavy in the 240 models and compared to the modern stuff that he's likely to learn to drive in, might be incredibly heavy.
I had my first auto when i was 18 and after that, first choice was always an auto. Long time ago now, to give you a rough idea it was a 12 year old 144DL auto so i've had a long association with automatics.

In a market that isn't over-run with 240s of any description, i'd say don't knock it until you've tried it! If he really doesn't like/can't get on with the auto box, you could always find the parts neessary to convert to manual if you have a good base car.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2020, 10:50   #20
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I agree absolutely with 'L.S.' regarding autos. Opinions differ, often fiercely (!), but I personally feel that these cars really suit automatic tranmission.

Like 'L.S.', I've had both in my time, but much prefer autos - I also had a 145DL Auto from 1972 when it was 12 years old, followed by 2's, 7's and a 9 series car, and currently a V70 - all autos! My one regret was that the 3 series cars were not available with a 'conventional' automatic - only a CVT on the basic 1.4 models. Would have loved one on the 1.7 GLE and 2.0 litre GL versions that I once owned.

Having said that, if it has to be a manual try and get one fitted with an overdrive - I've had two, a 145DL and a 245GLT. In my view they were nicer to drive than those without - quieter and more refined at speed, and 10 - 12% more more economical overall when driven like for like.

Regards, John.