Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Still no boost after systematically going through stuff

Views : 1667

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 21st, 2020, 00:22   #11
daniel84uk

Vida was £60 ish on ebay all in, adapter and software. Easy to setup really, but then im a geek. I just used a crappy old i3 laptop i had lying around, installed windows 7.
daniel84uk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daniel84uk For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2020, 00:24   #12
goltho
Not my first road EO

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel84uk View Post
Vida was £60 ish on ebay all in, adapter and software. Easy to setup really, but then im a geek. I just used a crappy old i3 laptop i had lying around, installed windows 7.
Never apologise for being a geek.🤓 I was a founder member. I'll check it out. Thanks again.
Old May 21st, 2020, 00:25   #13
daniel84uk

lol

search "2014D VIDA DICE"
Old May 21st, 2020, 00:33   #14
goltho
Not my first road EO

Quote:
lol

search "2014D VIDA DICE"
Got it. Just the job. Cheers.
Old May 21st, 2020, 07:02   #15
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by goltho View Post
Test with a gauge?
yea you will need a test kit. basically a guage and something to generate the pressure. Smoke tests dont really work for boost leaks so dont go down that road.
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2020, 21:06   #16
goltho
Not my first road EO

I got rid of the EGR errors by fitting a new one. It was clearly faulty despite not being particularly dirty. It's made no difference to the boost issue though.

I'd like to check that the waste gate actuator activates when starting the engine (should've done that before refitting the heat shield ) and if it doesn't, check the TCV. My mate's got a spare one so I'm quite prepared to try it & see, if it comes to it.

Tips for removing & refitting the TCV please? It's not visible from the top.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 22:50   #17
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by goltho View Post
I got rid of the EGR errors by fitting a new one. It was clearly faulty despite not being particularly dirty. It's made no difference to the boost issue though.

I'd like to check that the waste gate actuator activates when starting the engine (should've done that before refitting the heat shield ) and if it doesn't, check the TCV. My mate's got a spare one so I'm quite prepared to try it & see, if it comes to it.

Tips for removing & refitting the TCV please? It's not visible from the top.
get a boost tester so you can search for leaks first. or put soapy water all over boost pipes with engine running and look for bubbles. But it's really hard with engine running, hence a boost tester. may simply be a cracked pipe that only opens up under pressure
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lockstock For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2020, 00:39   #18
daniel84uk

Didnt think it would be the EGR as above, mine boosts fine with it disconnected

If it were me and chuck it on vida/dice it will show errors that dont flag a MIL, as so often is the case.

Here a functional description and some relevant pages from vida. You can get to TCV from underneath.

Quote:
Turbocharger
The turbo system on this engine consists of a turbo unit with a VNT (Variable Nozzle Turbine) which is controlled by a turbo control valve, which in turn influences a pressure box.
A Garrett turbocharger with variable turbine geometry is used to maintain optimum torque characteristics.

The moving guide rails of the turbine are controlled by the turbocharger's pressure box via a linkage.
The vacuum for the turbocharger's pressure box is dosed by the charge pressure regulator's solenoid valve. The charge pressure regulator's solenoid valve is controlled by the engine control module (ECM).

The turbocharger's bearings are lubricated via a pipe from the engine's lubricant circuit.
A pressure box is connected to the guide rails via a rod. The position of the guide rails is controlled by the air pressure in the box.
PDF 1 ECM
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_Cr...ew?usp=sharing

PDF 2 TCV removal.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-4R...ew?usp=sharing
The Following User Says Thank You to daniel84uk For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2020, 10:04   #19
goltho
Not my first road EO

Quote:
Didnt think it would be the EGR as above, mine boosts fine with it disconnected

If it were me and chuck it on vida/dice it will show errors that dont flag a MIL, as so often is the case.

Here a functional description and some relevant pages from vida. You can get to TCV from underneath.

PDF 1 ECM
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_Cr...ew?usp=sharing

PDF 2 TCV removal.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-4R...ew?usp=sharing
Thanks for that, and the links which I've applied for permission to view. I still don't have access to vida which is frustrating (my buddy's Autel system although expensive, didn't throw up any non-MIL errors) and I'm faced with buying it for a one-off use for my daughter's car. It's probably going to be better than guessing in the dark though which is becoming extremely tedious and is slowly costing money. I'm probably going to have to bite the bullet.
Old May 24th, 2020, 10:31   #20
daniel84uk

edit...

Last edited by daniel84uk; May 24th, 2020 at 10:41.