Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2009 XC60 boot will not open/unlock

Views : 1239

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 23rd, 2020, 12:18   #1
Yogimobile

Default 2009 XC60 boot will not open/unlock

XC60 boot will not open/unlock
Hi there, on my xc60, drain tube had become disconnected when it goes past the dash. As a result, I had driver footwell full of water puddle.
I have had that repaired since.
But I cannot open my boot now - it is permanently locked.
This model doesn't have a boot opening function for on remote or on the front dash.
Now my feeling is it's the cem that is buggered due to water damage.
So, should I get that out and get it looked at ? Or try looking at the bootlock from inside?
Problem is I don't know how to get to bootlock from inside.
Could someone give me pointers.
By the way, all other functions and electronics are working fine.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Yogimobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2020, 13:21   #2
Auto Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogimobile View Post
XC60 boot will not open/unlock
Hi there, on my xc60, drain tube had become disconnected when it goes past the dash. As a result, I had driver footwell full of water puddle.
I have had that repaired since.
But I cannot open my boot now - it is permanently locked.
This model doesn't have a boot opening function for on remote or on the front dash.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Strange... my 2009 XC60 has both. Pix enclosed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3142.jpg (307.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3143.jpg (107.6 KB, 7 views)
2018 VW Golf R DSG
Auto Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2020, 13:35   #3
Yogimobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Addict View Post
Strange... my 2009 XC60 has both. Pix enclosed.
Hi auto addict,
My car has the same but it never worked from.day 1 as it is a non power tailgate.
Having a power tailgate was an add on option I believe
Old May 23rd, 2020, 13:54   #4
Auto Addict

Quote:
Hi auto addict,
My car has the same but it never worked from.day 1 as it is a non power tailgate.
Having a power tailgate was an add on option I believe
I don't believe these buttons are exclusively for power tailgate. My XC60 doesn't have auto lift power tailgate either but by pressing the buttons it does pop/release the electronic lock to open the tailgate for me to then lift it manually to fully open, if you know what I mean. These buttons should work on your XC60 in the same manner... but as you've said... it hasn't from day one of ownership.
At this stage all I can suggest is to get the vehicle scanned/looked at by a reputable Auto electrician to establish exact faults / codes first before you start playing parts lottery
2018 VW Golf R DSG

Last edited by Auto Addict; May 23rd, 2020 at 13:56.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 14:00   #5
Yogimobile

Quote:
I don't believe these buttons are exclusively for power tailgate. My XC60 doesn't have auto lift power tailgate either but by pressing the buttons it does pop/release the electronic lock to open the tailgate for me to then lift it manually to fully open, if you know what I mean. These buttons should work on your XC60 in the same manner... but as you've said... it hasn't from day one of ownership.
At this stage all I can suggest is to get the vehicle scanned/looked at by a reputable Auto electrician to establish exact faults / codes first before you start playing parts lottery
Ok I shall do that.
Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Yogimobile For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2020, 14:20   #6
Auto Addict

Quote:
Ok I shall do that.
Thanks
If you were local to me in Cambridge I could plug in my AUTEL scanner to see what fault codes you have, to point you in the right direction
Just as an educated guess (and please don't take my word or quote me on it ) I suspect your electronic boot release solanoid may be dead. It's an electronic contact point behind the rubber release handle that electronically activates the lock mechanism to release. I've not had this problem on a Volvo (yet) but I have had this problem on 3 BMWs of mine... all Touring variants with split tailgates where the rear window can be opened independently from the tailgate. In all three cases it was a broken boot or window lock release solenoid that was the culprit. Food for though.
2018 VW Golf R DSG
Old May 23rd, 2020, 14:37   #7
Yogimobile

Quote:
If you were local to me in Cambridge I could plug in my AUTEL scanner to see what fault codes you have, to point you in the right direction
Just as an educated guess (and please don't take my word or quote me on it ) I suspect your electronic boot release solanoid may be dead. It's an electronic contact point behind the rubber release handle that electronically activates the lock mechanism to release. I've not had this problem on a Volvo (yet) but I have had this problem on 3 BMWs of mine... all Touring variants with split tailgates where the rear window can be opened independently from the tailgate. In all three cases it was a broken boot or window lock release solenoid that was the culprit. Food for though.
Thanks.
I removed he plastic bit by undoing 2 torx and as you say I see the red electric point.
How can I test if it's faulty.
Thanks
Old May 23rd, 2020, 14:39   #8
wilbydoughboy

Have you checked fuse? I found that by removing the external rubber that you push up on to open the tailgate I could get the lock to work. I eventually replaced the push switch just recently but it is the complete section with the number plate lights. The cost of the part new was £100. The internal cover needs to be removed and the tailgate needs to be open to gain access to the screws. There is a plastic cover over the locking mechanism and a slot and with a small drill bit or nail into the slot it can open the tailgate. I think that a hole drilled through the plastic cover in the right place should allow access to the slot and this I think can be done with the tailgate shut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0553.jpg (183.1 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by wilbydoughboy; May 23rd, 2020 at 14:49.
wilbydoughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2020, 14:48   #9
Yogimobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbydoughboy View Post
Have you checked fuse? I found that by removing the external rubber that you push up on to open the tailgate I could get the lock to work. I eventually replaced the push switch just recently but it is the complete section with the number plate lights. The cost of the part new was £100. The internal cover needs to be removed and the tailgate needs to be open to gain access to the screws. There is a plastic cover over the locking mechanism and a slot and with a small drill bit or nail into the slot it can open the tailgate. I think that a hole drilled through the plastic cover in the right place should allow access to the slot and this I think can be done with the tailgate shut.
Thanks for your input.
Where and which fuse am i looking for ?
And sorry, I don't follow the rest - just me being dumb
Old May 23rd, 2020, 14:50   #10
Auto Addict

Quote:
Thanks.
I removed he plastic bit by undoing 2 torx and as you say I see the red electric point.
How can I test if it's faulty.
Thanks
Firstly, I would visually check if all the wiring to the solenoid looks fine (no cuts, splits or burns) and then I would check with a voltmeter if you are getting power right to the solenoid. If you are then it's likely the solenoid is toast. Also while you're there check if the physical pressing of the rubber handle actually actuates the solenoid as it should.
Again, these are just my personal opinions and may not be the definitive answer to your problem.
2018 VW Golf R DSG

Last edited by Auto Addict; May 23rd, 2020 at 14:52.
The Following User Says Thank You to Auto Addict For This Useful Post: