Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New v50, some little niggles!

Views : 421

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2018, 02:00   #1
moorgate

Default New v50, some little niggles!

Back in black... well sort of. bye bye Rescue Dog v70: Hello Mean Green, a little v50 estate auto with the 2.5T engine and 131k miles on the clock. I had the car for ten days, then had to just throw it in the deep end with a massive euro trip. Stuttgart; Schaffhausen; St-Moritz. Munich; Hannover; then back out via Cologne and Calais.

The first niggle was the wheel bearings. Above 50mph, noisier than the engine, and not happy at all with right hand turns. Having said that they got back to Blightly exactly as noisy as they were when they left, so even though the various local exprerts I consulted though this might be a major issue, I'm just left needing to find a decent indie Volvo man in London for this one.

Split header tank!! drove about a thousand miles with this little delight. Some bit of work in the bay had cracked the top of the expansion tank, leaving a curled-up edge of plastic from the tank, hiding the fact that at high temperatures, this would squirt coolant up into the bonnet sound deadening pad. Only once I parked sideways on a slope could I see the accumulated coolant, dripping out of one edge of the sound-deadener. Park on the flat: no drips. Fortunately my mates up in the alps have seen hundreds of v50s and their diagnosis was right, as was their fix.

Very pecular starting: one time in ten or so, the starter motor does two revolutions and stops. Then half a second later, it does another half-dozen revolutions and the car starts! The rest of the time it starts perfectly. Can't be the battery... can it??

most of the time the car accellerates very strongly - but occasionally it's like the first inch of the trottle travel is just being ignored. Then suddenly it's hello turbo and off we go! Is this the dreaded throttle butterfly thing?
moorgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 07:27   #2
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Just changed the coolant expansion tank on my V50 for the same reason
Check the Ford part number moulded on the base of the tank
Mine was

Ford. 3M5H-8K218

And the volvo number for the same part

Volvo. 30776150

I did actually get a new volvo one for £35 (with the same Ford number moulded on the base)
But straight after saw a new Ford one advertised for £25

Opens up the replacement and cost options

I believe there are a couple of different ones fitted so just check yours first.
Those are the part numbers for the one fitted to mine
10 minute job to change.

Iain

Last edited by IainG; Jun 18th, 2018 at 07:32.
IainG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 12:53   #3
Bendolfc
Premier Member

The wheel bearings were a weak spot on these cars, the original designed allowed water ingress and resulted in them becoming noisy, the design was subsequently changed and since then they should last.

I made the mistake of having a pattern part fitted (multiple) and they never lasted more than 18 months. Other patten parts may be better but I'd make sure to get a genuine Ford/Volvo part if you intend to keep the car.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote