Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Active bending bi-xenons

Views : 1859

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 8th, 2011, 20:43   #11
Will22

Me too, thinking of going for the night.

Best time I ever had at an Audi lauch was for the A2, it was in the London Eye.
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 00:50   #12
Robinreliant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piff View Post
Our 59plate C30 has active bending bi-xenons. Shortly after buying I noticed a couple of small chips in the bumper paint just below the lights.
Full marks to the main dealer - Bells of Bedford - they took the car back & touched up the paint.
Their explanation of the chips is that someone has previously removed the headlamps and in removal or re-fitting has damaged the paint. The reason for removal would have been to convert the headlamps for european use!
When I asked why there isn't a simple lever to re-direct the main beams, the dealer directed me to a page in the manual (page 179 if I remember correctly) where there are instructions. He added, there is no room behind the headlamp, beware of high voltage and best to get the conversion done by a main dealer!

Now, if I drive to france, I want to switch the beams over at Dover/Calais, not 2 days before at the main dealer!
So I had a look at the manual and a look under the bonnet and I cant even work out which headlamp is being shown in the manual picture and can't see the lever to switch the beams.

Anyone done this themselves? Advice appreciated.
I asked the same question (without reply) a couple of months ago, prior to a continental trip with my new V50 SE Lux, so I took it upon myself to resolve.

The process is a simple 2 minute task and requires NO dealer visit :

1) Remove the metal retaining tab behind the relevant headlight (it looks like a pressed steel "tent peg" when removed) and lay it on top of the engine cover safely for step 6.

2) Push the headlight assembly forwards (from behind) and then push the side closest to the centre of the car's front grill outwards to release the retaining pin (that sits behind the orange indicator lens) from its grommet.

3) Carefully squeeze the electrical connector plug to release it from the light unit and withdraw the headlight assembly from the car, taking care to support the assembly (this is when the bumper paint chipping can occur if done in a heavy-handed way !).

4) Place the headlight glass-side down on a soft cloth and open the back of the unit (by undoing the 2 x spring wires that keep the metal backplate closed). The backplate is retained to the lamp by braided wiring so will not detach fully !

5) Using a long, thin implement (an electrical screwdriver or a table knife will work well) flick the thin metal lever that protrudes from the side of the light upwards for Continental setting); it moves a "shutter" that shields one side of the beam from dazzling oncoming drivers !

6) Reverse the actions 4 to 1 above to reinstall, remembering to put a dab of vaseline on the flat side of the retaining tab to allow easy removal in future. One tab was greased on my V50, the other was dry when received from Volvo !

7) Repeat for the opposite headlight.

8) Be aware that the self-levelling mechanism doesn't always prevent dazzling, so be prepared for the locals to still flash you.

9) The instructions in the owner's manual imply that the "shutter" adjustment lever is larger than it actually is in reality; it's only a 5mm long 1mm thick piece of grey pressed steel and NOT the substantial lever as shown in the manual illustration !

10) These instructions only apply to V50 with active bending beam Xenons.

Don't let the dealers charge you for this simple job which only requires a soft cloth and tableknife or long, thin screwdriver to achieve.

I'll try an host some photos on a photosharing website tomorrow to help illustrate the steps shown above and post the like here.
Robinreliant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robinreliant For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 19:22   #13
Piff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinreliant View Post
I asked the same question (without reply) a couple of months ago, prior to a continental trip with my new V50 SE Lux, so I took it upon myself to resolve.

The process is a simple 2 minute task and requires NO dealer visit :

1) Remove the metal retaining tab behind the relevant headlight (it looks like a pressed steel "tent peg" when removed) and lay it on top of the engine cover safely for step 6.

2) Push the headlight assembly forwards (from behind) and then push the side closest to the centre of the car's front grill outwards to release the retaining pin (that sits behind the orange indicator lens) from its grommet.

3) Carefully squeeze the electrical connector plug to release it from the light unit and withdraw the headlight assembly from the car, taking care to support the assembly (this is when the bumper paint chipping can occur if done in a heavy-handed way !).

4) Place the headlight glass-side down on a soft cloth and open the back of the unit (by undoing the 2 x spring wires that keep the metal backplate closed). The backplate is retained to the lamp by braided wiring so will not detach fully !

5) Using a long, thin implement (an electrical screwdriver or a table knife will work well) flick the thin metal lever that protrudes from the side of the light upwards for Continental setting); it moves a "shutter" that shields one side of the beam from dazzling oncoming drivers !

6) Reverse the actions 4 to 1 above to reinstall, remembering to put a dab of vaseline on the flat side of the retaining tab to allow easy removal in future. One tab was greased on my V50, the other was dry when received from Volvo !

7) Repeat for the opposite headlight.

8) Be aware that the self-levelling mechanism doesn't always prevent dazzling, so be prepared for the locals to still flash you.

9) The instructions in the owner's manual imply that the "shutter" adjustment lever is larger than it actually is in reality; it's only a 5mm long 1mm thick piece of grey pressed steel and NOT the substantial lever as shown in the manual illustration !

10) These instructions only apply to V50 with active bending beam Xenons.

Don't let the dealers charge you for this simple job which only requires a soft cloth and tableknife or long, thin screwdriver to achieve.

I'll try an host some photos on a photosharing website tomorrow to help illustrate the steps shown above and post the like here.
It would be good to see photos, if you can
Piff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2019, 17:07   #14
Mancuniandragon

The dealer told me to switch off the bending lights and just have them static. No problems driving abroad with other car users.
Mancuniandragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2019, 21:04   #15
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Interesting.

On my old P2 S60 which had ABLs, to convert to LH/RH traffic you just held down the ABL button on the centre console and the would automatically sweep across to whichever setting you were activating.

Display by the spedometer would say "Lights st to LH/RH Traffic".

Surprised the S40's with ABL don't do this.
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 07:22   #16
SignumGB
XC70 Owner/VOC Member

Reading the above and uncertainly, think I'll just buy beam deflectors for £3 when going to France and save all the hassle! I have the xenon lights too with active bending.

2012 Volvo XC70 3.0L AWD T6 [CAN🍁]
2015 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D4 SE LUX - Sold 78,728 Miles (July 2023) [GB]
2012 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D3 SE LUX - Written off 76,500 Miles (Aug 2017)[GB]
SignumGB is offline   Reply With Quote