Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

High oil consumption

Views : 1864

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 26th, 2019, 14:51   #1
snowden

Default High oil consumption

My 1.8 petrol C30 seems to have a pretty high oil consumption. I'm not sure if this is leaking outside of the engine or being burnt - when I set off after engine braking for a while there's a nice cloud of smoke left behind.

I noticed the right of the rocker cover was damp with oil (photo attached) and there was a small puddle of oil to the left of the grey block in the photo, next to the cover.

Would it be worth checking that PCV is working properly? I'm hoping it's not worn piston rings as that'd no doubt be too expensive on what was a £1.9k car!

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190214_124751_sm.jpg (270.5 KB, 47 views)
snowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 19:00   #2
poiuytre111

"When I set off after engine braking for a while there's a nice cloud of smoke left behind."

That sounds like worn valve stem seals allowing the vacuum under engine braking to pull oil past the valve stem into the combustion chamber.

Cheapest thing to fix provided you can do it without removing the cylinder head which is possible for many cars - trick is to stop a valve without spring/collets from dropping into the bore....
poiuytre111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2019, 09:22   #3
Welton
Premier Member

I've not heard of worn valve stem seals since the 1990's, it just doesn't seem to be a thing now (seal design took care of that).

1.8 petrol's very often use oil lots of people have posted about it, I personally believe the engines left the factory with fully synthetic oil and if driven gently never got the chance to bed-in effectively.

In your case; smoke after the over-run would point to a breather problem, would be worth checking through the system's various hoses for damage/splits and change the PCV valve etc...
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2019, 15:29   #4
snowden

Will start with checking the PCV first, that's something I've not done properly yet (and it does possibly seem to cause high oil consumption).

Not sure on how well the car has been handled before I bought it, it apparently had 5 previous owners - I run it with reasonable quality semi-synth 10W40 in an attempt to quench it's thirst.

Failing that, time to start phoning around and getting quotes for a professional diagnosis of it...
Old Mar 4th, 2019, 15:58   #5
PNM

I would start with doing a compression test. Can easily be done at home with a little mechanical knowledge and some not too expensive equipment. You'll be able to have a look at the state of the plugs at the same time - might shed some light on the problem.

Last edited by PNM; Mar 4th, 2019 at 16:01.
PNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 19:18   #6
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile Another idea

One other idea might be worth a check, could the engine not be getting up to the correct 89/90c coolant temp quickly due to a sticky or failing thermostat ?,, had some recent experience of a C30 petrol that was consuming a lot of oil on short runs, esp with lower temps in winter, the dash temp gauge isnt really linear, and say at 80c shows vertical, same thing at 90c so best way is to use a cheap obd reader and something like the torque app to see whats really going on with coolant temp, the 1.8 and 2L petrols are mazda based engines.
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2019, 14:57   #7
snowden

After revisiting this and getting round to doing the PCV test with a rubber glove over the oil filler, it turns out there's quite a lot of pressure in there that's easily noticed when the oil fill cap is removed... A rubber glove inflates quite readily when put over the top of the filler.

Could this be a symptom of something else wrong, or is it worth just trying a pcv swap first?