Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

is the v50 diesel worth buying?

Views : 2730

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 1st, 2012, 22:53   #1
jono

Default is the v50 diesel worth buying?

read a few posts re the dpf and related problems. im thinking of buying a 2005 d se, but am beginning to be put off by the problems others have had. i currently have a v40 which has been great but is now starting to become unreliable. 200k 51 model, which has done 120k over the past 6 years that ive had it. i dont have the time, tools or space to carry out repairs myself, so rely on local garage. i dont want to buy into more problems than i currently experience. have had 5 volvos for the past 25 yrs and have loved them all, but am not convinced they are the way forward if major faults will start to happen with a 70k car. do they all suffer problems or are some 'friday cars' and its pot luck what you get, and ive been lucky !

any advice much appreciated

regards

jon
jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 07:44   #2
EricMe
V50 Driver

Pushing my luck no doubt but have to say that I've had no problems with mine in its first 50,000mls.

It's had two (possibly three) recalls for minor issues and one (free) 3 month service but apart from that has never visited a 'real' Volvo workshop. It's had one service at a local Volvo 'Indy' (@12months ) and around twice the recommended number of engine oil changes at home.

It doesn't have a dpf.
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 09:24   #3
Master Member

First thing is to establish if this particular car actually has a dpf. It's quite possible that it hasn't. The VIN no can tell you if you contact Volvo UK with the relevant car details
961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 14:25   #4
kebab10
Premier Member

Just do a search on DPF issues and have a good read through the forum. Dont forget, people post problems here, some minor some a little complex. They do the same on Ford forums, Saab, Mercedes, Porsche and many many others.

People do not rant on about how good this is, its about how do I change this, what does this do. I came from a V40 petrol to a V50 diesel and find it a damned good car. Not without its niggles, but in 36 years of driving I have yet to find a "perfect" car.

Search and you will find a lot of good people on here witha lot of collective knowledge. Get one and enjoy it.
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kebab10 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 19:20   #5
SiRS2000
Master Member

To be honest most modern diesel cars will have a DPF fitted its required to keep the emissions low.

You also have several Diesel engines to choose from.

2.0D is the old stager. 136 Bhp ford 2.0 TDCi by all accounts not a bad engine just try and find one without the DPF.

1.6 D Drive is about 3 years old

D2 is 1.6 D engine again about 2 years old

D3 Replaced the 2.0D in 2010 this a 2.0 Lt 5 Cyl engine 150 Bhp

D4 Replaced D5 and is a 175 Bhp version of the D3

D5 2.4 5 Cyl 180Bhp 2006 to 2010

I have a D5 and it is a cracker and to boot it has no DPF but the timing belt needs to be changed every 100K or 6 years which ever comes first. Quoted £600 from Volvo for that service.
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 19:42   #6
jeffersabbott

Hi there,

I bought an 06 V50 2.0D Sport just over two years ago and although I have a current issue with it I am not convinced it is the DPF given the 50 miles I do every day therefore getting the engine nice and warm for about 40 mins each way. Other than this current issue, the car has been great and I think it looks good two (subtle sport body kit, 18" wheels etc). I chose this as I like sporty, solid looking cars and I think the wheels make a big difference to the looks. I am a family man and need an estate that looks good to keep me young! I have had mostly Vauxhalls since I have driven as my Dad worked there for 37 years but then moved to a 323i SE BMW and then a 523i SE Tourer. Loved the BMW's but just to expensive to repair and to buy a low mileage one. Took a leap of faith with the V50 but love its looks and the waterfall dash which always gets comments of 'hey thats cool!'. Its a focus underneath so handles well. Yet to find a cup holder though and the door pockets only just fit an iphone it them but I can get past this!!!!

Go for it!
jeffersabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 12:41   #7
GazT4
Diesel Power

Yes- i love mine, even though at 25 im 'old before my time' !! Haha.
GazT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 15:52   #8
rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
read a few posts re the dpf and related problems. im thinking of buying a 2005 d se, but am beginning to be put off by the problems others have had. i currently have a v40 which has been great but is now starting to become unreliable. 200k 51 model, which has done 120k over the past 6 years that ive had it. i dont have the time, tools or space to carry out repairs myself, so rely on local garage. i dont want to buy into more problems than i currently experience. have had 5 volvos for the past 25 yrs and have loved them all, but am not convinced they are the way forward if major faults will start to happen with a 70k car. do they all suffer problems or are some 'friday cars' and its pot luck what you get, and ive been lucky !

regards

jon
I have gone from a V40 to a 2005 V50 d se.
To be honest you will be hard pressed to find an 05 model that has a dpf fitted so that won't be an issue. Having looked at several before buying mine I found that most didn't have a dpf. The way of telling is to look for a small plastic oil tank sited on top of the rear axle beam (unless its a D5). Also look at the end of the exhaust pipe, if its covered in soot it hasn't got one, and the 8th letter on the vin plate is supposed to indicate if it has one or not, if its a 3 or a 4 then it hasn't, if it is 5 then it has. Dealer will be able to tell you if it has or hasn't by the number plate.

I have had mine for a couple of months now, and covered nearly three thousand miles. Overall I am happy with it. It is my fourth Volvo, preceeded by an S40 and two V40's and like you I was apprehensive about making the switch but the only thing I really miss is the power of my last V40 which was a T4. The 2.0d goes well enough though but I can only average around 42 mpg.

I have had to take mine back for a couple of niggly faults but they were sorted under warranty and nothing too drastic, having to have the headlights replaced as the aim was far too low and the adjusters had failed, the plastic throttle flap in the throttle body needed cleaning as it was sticking a little causing the car to stall when first started in the morning (fairly common) and a loose connection on the cem wiring causing the ambient temperature gauge to read -34 when it was about 10 degrees but then these things could easily of happened on a V40, indeed the throttle flap being remeniscent of the need to clean the icv on a V40.
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 20:29   #9
kebab10
Premier Member

I forgot to add, "is it worth buying a V50"? YES. Go for a top spec one as you will otherwise wish, should have got this, got that.

Enjoy.
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 22:56   #10
UKTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post

regards

jon
Have you bought it yet?
UKTech is offline   Reply With Quote