Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

is the v50 diesel worth buying?

Views : 2746

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 4th, 2012, 17:29   #11
v40bart
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazT4 View Post
Yes- i love mine, even though at 25 im 'old before my time' !! Haha.
25? Your insurance bill must be astronomic!
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 17:56   #12
GazT4
Diesel Power

Are Volvos expensive to insure?

I wouldn't know, i'm on a traders policy!
GazT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 18:02   #13
Metblackrat

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazT4 View Post
Are Volvos expensive to insure?

I wouldn't know, i'm on a traders policy!
Cant work out why I pay £190 fully comp on a diesel Volvo yet only pay £78 fully comp on a group 18 sportsbike, both covered for 5k miles a year.
Metblackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 18:20   #14
v40bart
Master Member

My wife is fronting my Volvo, I couldn't get a quote below £850 with clean licence and 33 years of age. My wife pays £430, 4 years NCB, 31 years old.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 19:27   #15
Bendolfc
Premier Member

About £650 here for 16000K miles inc business. Have you tried a quote with the missus on the insurance as a named driver, will prob go down a fair bit.

Ultimately it is the postcode that generally dictates the price you pay which doesn't really help me.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 20:40   #16
SiRS2000
Master Member

V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport,

Full clean licence so no points & no bumps 38 Years of age. 12K a year me and the wife £340

Last edited by SiRS2000; Apr 4th, 2012 at 20:42.
SiRS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 21:10   #17
jono

thanks to all for your thoughts and recommendations. i havent got one yet, went looking earlier in the week to a car supermarket and wasnt excited by the couple that i saw. i went looking at other manufacturers while i was there, but will likely gravitate to a v50 given your reassurances !

it will be an early model, so should be dpf free. as kebab says, i will look for a decent spec one as the basic spec is just ... basic.
jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 10:55   #18
rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
thanks to all for your thoughts and recommendations. i havent got one yet, went looking earlier in the week to a car supermarket and wasnt excited by the couple that i saw. i went looking at other manufacturers while i was there, but will likely gravitate to a v50 given your reassurances !

it will be an early model, so should be dpf free. as kebab says, i will look for a decent spec one as the basic spec is just ... basic.
The earlier ones seem to be better specced. For instance my 2.0d se has full leather and 6 disc cd player whereas later ones have cloth and single disc. I also prefer the earlier spec interior (apart from the woeful front door pockets) which look neater around the rear view mirror/map reading light area and also have r-design style dials albiet black not blue.

Test drive a few, the first one I tried was a 50k 08 plate and I didn't like it much, it had 16" wheels the ride seemed too soft and it tramlined a lot (probably due to the nearside front tyre below limit) and the one I have (47k 05 plate) drove much better on 17" wheels.
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 22:02   #19
jono

Default v50 had one for three months !!

eventually bought one, low mileage (47k) 55 plate 2.0dse.

last month started to get vibration / rumbling from front wheels when moving, then saturday started to get clunking when clutch depressed.

been in garage today - front wishbone bushes and wheel bearings replaced £360, clutch rattling - dmf failure £1400 as its the vauxhaul gearbox ?

thought that dmf was from ford ?

any info on dmfs and prices would be appreciated, though i have been using the garage for 20 years with no probs.

the road noise isnt brilliant and the aircon is ropey, to say the least.

havent suffered from the amb temp gauge / electric problems - yet !

i went for a lower mileage as i thought it would be best option

either way, it looks like my sceptisism re the v50 was right.
ive had volvos for the best part of the last 30 years and have suffered increasing problems.
360 - ok, cant remember the model - ok, 440 - ok, v40 - multiple brake disks and pads, multiple front springs, brake pipes, turbo, alternator, cat.

only time ive had to use a recovery service (three times in 5 years)

looks like my last volvo, as people from work cant recommend hondas enough.

should have listened to them 3 months ago !

do people from volvo uk ever monitor these boards?

i work in the medical eqpt service sector and today had a conversation with an american medical eqpt manufacturer who are changing the way they look at failures / installed base. their expectation isnt necessarily the customers expectaion ie 0.1% failure rate may be ok for them globally, but if you are in that 0.1% failure rate, you wont buy their stuff again.

volvo used to be a 'premium brand' which you paid a 'premium' for reliability

hey ho, but it'l be the last time i trust volvo now and will look to get rid as soon as before anything else goes wrong, from the heavily populated list of common failures.
jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 23:54   #20
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
eventually bought one, low mileage (47k) 55 plate 2.0dse.

last month started to get vibration / rumbling from front wheels when moving, then saturday started to get clunking when clutch depressed.

been in garage today - front wishbone bushes and wheel bearings replaced £360, clutch rattling - dmf failure £1400 as its the vauxhaul gearbox ?

thought that dmf was from ford ?

any info on dmfs and prices would be appreciated, though i have been using the garage for 20 years with no probs.

the road noise isnt brilliant and the aircon is ropey, to say the least.

havent suffered from the amb temp gauge / electric problems - yet !

i went for a lower mileage as i thought it would be best option

either way, it looks like my sceptisism re the v50 was right.
ive had volvos for the best part of the last 30 years and have suffered increasing problems.
360 - ok, cant remember the model - ok, 440 - ok, v40 - multiple brake disks and pads, multiple front springs, brake pipes, turbo, alternator, cat.

only time ive had to use a recovery service (three times in 5 years)

looks like my last volvo, as people from work cant recommend hondas enough.

should have listened to them 3 months ago !

do people from volvo uk ever monitor these boards?

i work in the medical eqpt service sector and today had a conversation with an american medical eqpt manufacturer who are changing the way they look at failures / installed base. their expectation isnt necessarily the customers expectaion ie 0.1% failure rate may be ok for them globally, but if you are in that 0.1% failure rate, you wont buy their stuff again.

volvo used to be a 'premium brand' which you paid a 'premium' for reliability

hey ho, but it'l be the last time i trust volvo now and will look to get rid as soon as before anything else goes wrong, from the heavily populated list of common failures.
If it's the M66 box you can get a Focus RS clutch and DMF fitted £725 at Pumabuild

Wishbones wear out - esp the oil filled ones - Hondas are tinny and unrefined compared to the S40/v50

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote