Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Which Tyres?

Views : 3005

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 5th, 2012, 20:27   #11
S80T60James
S80T6James

Hello,

Thanks everyone for your input - I must say lots of you make a good case for the different tyres you suggest... I will look into what each cost and then I'll decide - I think top budget will be £100 a tyre. I'll go for a place that includes fitting so it's all done in go...

Cheers again :0)

James
S80T60James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 22:31   #12
GP1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
PS3 a comfort tyre in comparison with a P7? are you having a laugh? or is that a typo or me reading it wrong as i believe that is what your statement is saying?

the ps3 had/has way more feel in comparison than the p7...i also think in some ways you would struggle without doing something utterly stupid to reach the limits of a modern tyre.

Also if i believe what i believe, your end line would be exactly like another post on another forum.
Michelin produce comfort tyre's, which will have softer sidewall's than a P7. It'll do more miles and produce less noise, Mich. are good at that, but the PS3 will snap out without letting you know there limit, the P7 won't snap out it'll let you know it's on it limit, that said the PS3 & P7 arn't really the same kind of tyre.

What's wrong with the end line?
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 22:43   #13
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1 View Post
Michelin produce comfort tyre's, which will have softer sidewall's than a P7. It'll do more miles and produce less noise, Mich. are good at that, but the PS3 will snap out without letting you know there limit, the P7 won't snap out it'll let you know it's on it limit, that said the PS3 & P7 arn't really the same kind of tyre.

What's wrong with the end line?
the P7 definitely did not when it wheel spun mate. comfort tyres? so what are the PS2 and PSS then because you have made a wide sweeping statement? i would severely disagree with that statement as well.

so what is the P7 then? come on you have made one point about the PS3 and michelins being COMFORT tyres...but not the P7.

In overall grip terms the PS3 is far superior tyre end of.If you treat it with respect and drive sensibly you will rarely reach any tyres maximum on the public roads.

Last edited by Ninja59; Aug 5th, 2012 at 22:55.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 23:00   #14
GP1

Quote:
In overall grip terms the PS3 is far superior tyre end of.
That'll be it then, what do I know. .
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 23:04   #15
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1 View Post
That'll be it then, what do I know. .
no if you actually read my original posts in comparison with the p7 but you know seen as you seem to be following me around the ignore function comes in handy.

oh and btw i know that every opportunity should a michelin be mentioned you sl*g them off you only have to look on DW that is what i meant by that line i thought the user seemed familiar although i will point out you seem to post about BMW and seats a lot on here...we all drive differently, different cars suit different tyres for my driving i rated the PS3 over the P7 since that is what i tested on that car so i think it is a fair comment.

Last edited by Ninja59; Aug 5th, 2012 at 23:41.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 10:08   #16
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

Everyone on the ST forum is raving about Eagle F1 Assys (including those who've had CC3 on.

I've got a pair ready to go on mine tmrw.

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 13:52   #17
GP1

Quote:
no if you actually read my original posts in comparison with the p7 but you know seen as you seem to be following me around the ignore function comes in handy.

oh and btw i know that every opportunity should a michelin be mentioned you sl*g them off you only have to look on DW that is what i meant by that line i thought the user seemed familiar although i will point out you seem to post about BMW and seats a lot on here...we all drive differently, different cars suit different tyres for my driving i rated the PS3 over the P7 since that is what i tested on that car so i think it is a fair comment.

I feel like I'm back at school been told off.

Mich. produce some good tyre's, there are many other's that are far far worse, Mich. tyre's do what they say so there is no way I'll slg them off, however, there are other's that are better in other respect's, there is no best or superior tyre, for some reason on forum's poster's who consider Mich to be the best do seem to be the one's that get upset the most when someone disagrees. I will try my best not to post on here about tyre's again, I was only trying to be helpful, sorry.

It's true I like some BMW seat's, they suit me the best, having lower back probelms I have to consider the lumbar support offered within the seats, and these are the best for my body shape, a V40/Leon been in joint 2nd. .
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 16:24   #18
72dudes

So basically everyone has different opinions on tyres.

I recently went for Avon ZV5s on the front of my S40 (also 205x 50 x 17) and am pleased with the quietness and bump absorbtion compared to the Michelin Primacys I had before. £220 was the best I could get.

If you are on a budget then the Barum Bravuris get a good write up - will be around £160 for 2.
72dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 21:19   #19
chevronlib

Tyres are a very subjective choice. Despite what the excellent tests conducted by people like Auto-Bild etc drivers will always have their own preferences.
The Goodyear Eagles mentioned previously are an excellent tyre.
Please bear with an old fart for a few minutes.
I too have my own preferences which I must admit, when looked have really no scientific basis.
Many years ago I bought my first brand new car, a Ford Consul convertible.
The handling on its standard cross ply tyres was rubbish, so I bought a set of MichelinX tyres. Reset the toe in to Zero. Great handling.
Therefore for me it had to be Michelin. Irrespective of years passing and tyre technology leaping forward and much data published.
We usually have at least one Ford in the family, a Focus or a Fiesta, used as a runabout and a car for daughters to use when the visit home.
More by chance than design they always seem to come with Michelins fitted. New cars changed every two and a half years. Ordered and took delivery of a new Fiesta 1600 diesel titanium was very put out when it arrived with Hankook tyres on it. Moaned at the salesman who because off lots of previous business was going to swop them for michelins off another showroom car. The master technician at the dealership persuaded me to try the Hankooks.
Turned out to be excellent tyres, lasted 25,000 on the front. When changed bought the same again. Model was Ventus with, I think, K115 tread pattern.

So ..... Hankook do a a tyre for the V50 205 50 17 93W and I have seen them at under a £100 to buy. Maybe worth looking for?

The new V50 12 plate I bought for dog carrying has arrived with Continental tyres 205 50 17 so another expensive replacement. Will look forward to see how they last.
My wife has a Saab TTid Aero convertible running on Continentals, these have proved to be an excellent tyre but only last about 16,000 miles on the front. Driving style I think. She insists on the same again when she buys tyres, 4 so far, so not had a chance to try out other makes.

ps If you've got this far thanks for your patience.

pps after spending nearly 50 years in the trade you would think I would have solid opinions not just "I know what I like, they wus ok years ago".
chevronlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 21:33   #20
S80T60James
S80T6James

Hello,

Thanks to you all for your input :0) Entertaining, heated and informative! Marvellous stuff. :0)

I had Continental Premium Contact 2's on my last car in which I had my only crash of my life (at 35). Until then I had been a real devotee of continental tyres but now (somewhat irrationally as the tyres weren't to blame) I want to choose a different brand.

I did say I'd only spend £100 a tyre but then again I always end up spending more on tyres than I think is reasonable so will probably end up going to £300 for a new pair...

I must say though that I just wish I could actually test them all out and see which I felt most comfortable with...

Still I'm not collecting the car until Friday so
I've got a few days to ponder :0)

Cheers, James
S80T60James is offline   Reply With Quote