Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bent rods?

Views : 6895

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 9th, 2017, 16:47   #21
miksu

If the egr is not blanked that is the first thing to do. You can just leave the egr cable disconnected.
miksu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 17:05   #22
Bloders2

videos are great!
thats unburnt diesel. either because teh conrod is bent and you have low compression, or the injector is kaput.
do you have one of how it is when it is warm?

The injector results - i dont truly know what they mean, but soime of the readings vary quite a lot and some of the pass/fail colum has crosses. I would focus my attention there (i appreciate thats where you started asking questions, but its difficult to understand a job with only half the story).

The issue is definately only with one cylinder, which is good as it means you can do some comparison stuff.
having seen that i would not rule out a bent con rod.
To check for a bent con rod, remove the injectors, and measure from a fixed place, the maximum height each piston comes to from the fixed point and compare.
However, seeing some of the injector results, and the fact it is a bad starter, id put a set of new injectors in it (measure con rods whilst the injectors are out) and be confident in one of the two is the issue.
Bloders2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 18:01   #23
martins91

Quote:
Originally Posted by miksu View Post
If the egr is not blanked that is the first thing to do. You can just leave the egr cable disconnected.
I actually still haven't figured it out..is the egr valve and throttle body the same? If not, can someone show where to find it?
martins91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 18:10   #24
martins91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloders2 View Post
videos are great!
thats unburnt diesel. either because teh conrod is bent and you have low compression, or the injector is kaput.
do you have one of how it is when it is warm?

The injector results - i dont truly know what they mean, but soime of the readings vary quite a lot and some of the pass/fail colum has crosses. I would focus my attention there (i appreciate thats where you started asking questions, but its difficult to understand a job with only half the story).

The issue is definately only with one cylinder, which is good as it means you can do some comparison stuff.
having seen that i would not rule out a bent con rod.
To check for a bent con rod, remove the injectors, and measure from a fixed place, the maximum height each piston comes to from the fixed point and compare.
However, seeing some of the injector results, and the fact it is a bad starter, id put a set of new injectors in it (measure con rods whilst the injectors are out) and be confident in one of the two is the issue.
I don't have video with normal start, I can make it tomorrow. But there is nothing interesting, no smoke, no idling, no choking.
About the injectors - the crosses mean that injector have failed the norm of flow. Example, the norm was 2,0-3,6 mm3, but injector made 1,9mm3. Is that injector have to be changed? Do i need to change all of them?
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 18:14   #25
Bloders2

id take them out, measure your piston heights and then if you ind nothing, swap the injectors out
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 18:49   #26
The Thong
VOC Member

Has anyone considered a leaky valve? You need a compression test doing, I'm still not convinced it's a bent rod even though your car sounds rough.
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 19:06   #27
Bloders2

good call.
as i mentioned a leakdown test earlier. I prefer them to a compression test as you can hear where / if the air is escaping to.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bloders2 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 19:51   #28
The Thong
VOC Member

I have never heard of these engines bending conrods. We've seen loads of faults on this forum but never bent rods. I'm looking forward to see the conclusion of this now.
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 20:34   #29
martins91

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
I have never heard of these engines bending conrods. We've seen loads of faults on this forum but never bent rods. I'm looking forward to see the conclusion of this now.
Thank you all for information. I will try to measure compression first to get clear with rods. Then if that will be OK, will be looking towards injectors What about that egr? Where its located? I will be updating news
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 13:34   #30
zork

Not related with the advertising, but I think it's the best answer:

Check esp pic no 2

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/121253753435?_mwBanner=1
zork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zork For This Useful Post: