Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Apparently nothing wrong

Views : 526

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2017, 17:47   #1
Rowley010

Default Apparently nothing wrong

My 2008 D5 V50 started doing an odd thing on Sunday. Only when going up a very steep hill where we live when I put my foot down, just as the turbo kicks in the car started juddering, feeling low on power, and vibrations coming from under the car. Only on this hill, no other hill, or not when accelerating on level ground.

Described exactly what I've described there to garage (local not Volvo) and they've looked today, brought back saying there's nothing wrong can only find a bit of wear on the driveshaft.

Where did this leave me? As the other day there clearly was something wrong,

I'm reluctant to book in with Volvo though and getting charged thousands for something!
Rowley010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 13:52   #2
Yobbo
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley010 View Post
My 2008 D5 V50 started doing an odd thing on Sunday. Only when going up a very steep hill where we live when I put my foot down, just as the turbo kicks in the car started juddering, feeling low on power, and vibrations coming from under the car. Only on this hill, no other hill, or not when accelerating on level ground.

Described exactly what I've described there to garage (local not Volvo) and they've looked today, brought back saying there's nothing wrong can only find a bit of wear on the driveshaft.

Where did this leave me? As the other day there clearly was something wrong,

I'm reluctant to book in with Volvo though and getting charged thousands for something!
What RPMs were you at? If you were in a high gear and stuck your foot down with low RPMS < 2-2.5k it sounds very much to me like the DMF throwing a wobbler - AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Sounds like the introduction of huuuuge amounts of torque, you're better off downshifting than letting this happen too often.

As if the DMF goes, it's advised to replace the clutch and vice versa.
With labour, you're looking at £1000-£1200!

My car is also a V50 D5.

Hope this helps!
Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 15:24   #3
Rowley010

Can go up the hill in 4th in the D5, it's steep and in a 1.6 petrol you definitely need 2nd to go up. But if you plant your foot when in 4th with the D5 it flies up no problem. When it was doing this the other day I dropped it to 3rd and it kept doing it.

Why would the garage say it's fine though if it was the DMF? They are very good and have used them for years and totally trust them. Is an issue with the DMF something that they just wouldn't have found?
Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 16:01   #4
Yobbo
Dave

Quote:
Can go up the hill in 4th in the D5, it's steep and in a 1.6 petrol you definitely need 2nd to go up. But if you plant your foot when in 4th with the D5 it flies up no problem. When it was doing this the other day I dropped it to 3rd and it kept doing it.

Why would the garage say it's fine though if it was the DMF? They are very good and have used them for years and totally trust them. Is an issue with the DMF something that they just wouldn't have found?
Okay, so if it's doing it under a shift-down with relatively high RPMs it could still be the DMF having to take the brunt of the torque required to get up the hill.
The car might still fly up it even without clutch slip...
Other than getting the DMF off the gearbox and inspecting the tolerance, I think the only other way you could test them is under load - which is obviously bad.
You'd know if it's totally buggered as it would be juddering away while idling over... But it could be on it's way out.

Does this problem still occur when you're not driving on a incline?
Say, trying to boost from 40mph in 6th?

If your car has been re-mapped, ragged/regularly boosted from low RPMs, on high mileage it's possible the DMF will be towards the end of it's lifespan. These are all variables of course and may not apply...

If the car otherwise drives perfectly fine with no judder under normal driving circumstances than I'm buggered for an answer!

Last edited by Yobbo; Aug 2nd, 2017 at 16:15.
Yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 19:48   #5
Rowley010

No there's no problem when not on an incline. No problem either on a "normal" incline. Literally only done it on this very steep hill where we live where you need to give it the beans. A petrol struggles up without revving it hard.

The car is a 2008 with almost 140,000 on the clock. I've had it for 4 years and done nearly half that milage in that time. Wouldn't say it's been ragged but potentially accelerating from low rpm yes.

But no, no judder vibrations in any normal driving! And garage say nothing wrong hmmmmmm
Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 21:00   #6
Whyman
Premier Member

Check your levels.

I once had a Granada than had a gearbox wine when going up a steep hill. Turned out to be low oil level in the gearbox but only on a very steep hill with all of the oil in the back of the gearbox.
Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 21:17   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
No there's no problem when not on an incline. No problem either on a "normal" incline. Literally only done it on this very steep hill where we live where you need to give it the beans. A petrol struggles up without revving it hard.

The car is a 2008 with almost 140,000 on the clock. I've had it for 4 years and done nearly half that milage in that time. Wouldn't say it's been ragged but potentially accelerating from low rpm yes.

But no, no judder vibrations in any normal driving! And garage say nothing wrong hmmmmmm
you need to be able to reproduce it on a certain hill , take the mechanic out and show him ...
Old Aug 3rd, 2017, 14:12   #8
Yobbo
Dave

It's an odd one! But my money is on the DMF.

Next time you visit the hill try dropping to second or even first if possible, I would expect the judder to be far less pronounced than in 3rd.

In any case, avoid low RPM boosting as it's nothing but bad news for DMFs.