Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 2010 pre-lift?

Views : 512

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2017, 11:12   #1
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Default S40 2010 pre-lift?

Hi all

need a quick debate over this one:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...drive/15890963

work colleague was going to get it but quick glance at it immediately raised my red flag warning. Look at the front, whats wrong with this picture?
I believe its 2010 model as its DriveE diesel and interior looks post-FL, but front is not right, right?
Old Aug 4th, 2017, 11:21   #2
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

Thats wierd the rear lights and interior are defo facelift, so it should have a facelift front end?!?, not the pre facelift it has. I'd be suspicous if it's had a front end impact, I bet pre facelift parts will be cheaper than post facelift.
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scoobysn7x For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 4th, 2017, 11:37   #3
StatusRed
Premier Member

Yeah weird, back is definitely facelift but front isn't.

Cut and shut job or some strange Irish spec?

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StatusRed For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 4th, 2017, 11:45   #4
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

That has to have had a bump of some sort but what is more striking is that it's been repaired with the wrong bits, presumably for cost as I can't imagine parts availablity would be a concern but it raises the question, how good is the repair underneath? I'm guessing it wasn't done through an approved body shop and it would have been done with used parts to potentially avoid it being written off.

I'd look at another car if I were buying!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasha94 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 4th, 2017, 11:52   #5
domhart10
Volvo S40

yeh it has the wrong bumper on, that is the old grille / fogs etc

... its had a bump on the front

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to domhart10 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 4th, 2017, 14:36   #6
LizardOfBodom

Thats exactly what I said to my colleague that I am suspecting, but wanted to double check. I know of some brands that released hybrid versions (Skoda Octavia mid facelift for example, old front, new rear) hence I wasnt 100% sure, but if I was to guess I'd say front impact (hefty one), repaired with wrong parts and god knows whats the story with airbags, belts etc. Plus - another red flag - cluster is in miles so its defo UK import (IE has kmh on cars from 2006) so its even more suspicious if car was imported damaged and fixed in the shed or what.

Told him to walk away from it, as he was almost ready to get it. Price (6500e) is also suspisiously low comparing to that model/year and "need quick sale, moving abroad" doesnt help.

Thanks all!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 4th, 2017, 15:08   #7
iainmd

There are two possibilities here. One is more likely than the other but both possible.

1. It's had a shunt and been repaired with the most easily available parts.
2. The owner didn't much like the newer front end so changed it for the older one. Much less likely but possible. A number of people on here have done the opposite.

At the very least I'd get the previous owner details from the V5 registration document (could the UK, not sure about elsewhere) and contact them to ask but only if you really like the vehicle. If not, walk away.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iainmd For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 4th, 2017, 15:18   #8
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
There are two possibilities here. One is more likely than the other but both possible.

1. It's had a shunt and been repaired with the most easily available parts.
2. The owner didn't much like the newer front end so changed it for the older one. Much less likely but possible. A number of people on here have done the opposite.

At the very least I'd get the previous owner details from the V5 registration document (could the UK, not sure about elsewhere) and contact them to ask but only if you really like the vehicle. If not, walk away.
Not sure it can be done here, once its registered on irish plates you are loosing access to UK plate history and previous owners, atleast what i learned so far. TBH car offers nothing except for the good price, but with so many red flags I recommended him to look elsewhere. up o him now.

ps - heard about "nose job" for pre FL -> post FL, would consider it myself even as I prefer post FL lights much more, but nefer seen it done other way around most likely as said - easier accessible parts or someone who didnt know better and fit whatever.
Old Aug 4th, 2017, 22:15   #9
dcw
VOC Member

Can only agree with what everyone else has said - front end is wrong to the rest of the car. Cheap price without adequate explanation too.

Definitely alarm bells time - personally I'd walk away. I don't know about Ireland specifically, but generally S40s seem fairly plentiful at present across a good range of prices, so I would recommend your friend keeps looking.

David
1994 480 GT and 2007 V50 SE Sport
dcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2017, 23:17   #10
Volvophile
Premier Member

Have seen this quite a lot on these cars. The car has evidently had a front end shunt and been repaired with pre facelift parts.
Volvophile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvophile For This Useful Post: