Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 Fault - Diagnostic Software & Interface recommendations?

Views : 1357

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 1st, 2019, 00:06   #1
RSpete

Default C30 Fault - Diagnostic Software & Interface recommendations?

Good evening

I hope this is the correct place to ask this...

My daughter has recently acquired a C30 Diesel which has thrown up a warning light, and a message "Anti Skid Service Required"
This appeared in the last couple of days on icy roads....

Is there any diagnostic software recommended for these cars?
I have seen on ebay Vida Dice however this appears to need a special interface.
Is this correct or will this work with a normal USB to OBD cable?
I already have cables that work for VW and BMW.

Advice on software and interface greatly appreciated.

many thanks
RSpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2019, 08:48   #2
rxtian

You do need a special box for VIDA, which you can get on ebay. I have one myself and it really is the best for these cars - gives you all the information that would be available to the dealer, as it is their software!

If you don't feel like playing the ebay gamble, there is a forum member who sells tested set-ups: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=253191
rxtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2019, 18:22   #3
RSpete

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxtian View Post
You do need a special box for VIDA, which you can get on ebay. I have one myself and it really is the best for these cars - gives you all the information that would be available to the dealer, as it is their software!

If you don't feel like playing the ebay gamble, there is a forum member who sells tested set-ups: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=253191
Thanks for the reply!
Damn I was hoping to use one of the existing OBDII cables, I really was hoping not to have to spend too much when it isn't my car.
Her previous car was a VW and I luckily had brought a licence for Vag Com some years ago which I was able to resurrect and update. Still learning the intricacies of the BMW setup....

Is there anything I can do without laying out too much? Other software etc?

What does the box on the Vida Dice cable do?
As before all advice welcome..
Old Feb 1st, 2019, 22:07   #4
hoks

Somebody correct me if Im wrong, but as I know -DICE allowes proper communication between software (Vida) and all the modules in the car.

Im sure it is possible to get something else to work like Bosch electronics, but they will be proffessional level and much more expensive. Best bet seems to be the Vida + DICE combo. I have a simple cheap garbage elm327 with which you can do quite a bit on Ford, but on Volvo you can access only Some temp sensors, manifold air pressure, rpm, load percentage, fuel pressure, and may be read some codes, so it is pretty much useless... Some more advanced scanners possibly access a bit more, but Volvo scanner will be best for Volvo
hoks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hoks For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 11:19   #5
RSpete

Talking

I suppose I am showing my ignorance here however I am not clear what the box on the interface is for.

On the software I have for my BMW(EDIABAS INPA DIS SSS which had to run under a VM emulator with a plain OBDII interface ) and now ISTAD/P which uses a switchable K+DCAN OBDII cable.
The VAG-Com, now VCDS, software has a KKL Vag-Com dedicated cable however.

As I understand the base protocol allows certain standard DTC 's to be read, as required by US and EU law, and the manufacturers own diagnostics effectively piggyback on that, hence the difference between my growing collection of OBDII interfaces.

I suppose where I am coming from is that there appears to be a basic protocol most hand held scanners use but greater depth, diagnostics and coding require the manufacturers which is what I presumed VIDA DICE to be.

However it is the interface that is costly here and at this point I want to limit my financial exposure to my daughters car!

It may well be I can get her to spring for the cost however I think it would be wise to understand whether this is necessary or wise.

Will the VIDA software connect with any other interface or only DICE?

I understand Dice to be the interface here and if I read the Volvo blurb correctly its main advantage is Bluetooth connectivity?

The PDF from Volvo I have just read says this " A USB cable can be used as an alternative to the Bluetooth communication." which is probably giving me false hope....

Apart from that the only other roadblock is getting it to work under Win 10....

So if anybody has used VIDA with an ordinary OBDII to USB interface or can recommend anything else for initial diagnostics on the C30 ANTI SKID SERVICE REQUIRED issue.....?

Many thanks and ALL advice gratefully received
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 11:37   #6
RSpete

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSpete View Post
I suppose I am showing my ignorance here however I am not clear what the box on the interface is for.

On the software I have for my BMW(EDIABAS INPA DIS SSS which had to run under a VM emulator with a plain OBDII interface ) and now ISTAD/P which uses a switchable K+DCAN OBDII cable.
The VAG-Com, now VCDS, software has a KKL Vag-Com dedicated cable however.

As I understand the base protocol allows certain standard DTC 's to be read, as required by US and EU law, and the manufacturers own diagnostics effectively piggyback on that, hence the difference between my growing collection of OBDII interfaces.

I suppose where I am coming from is that there appears to be a basic protocol most hand held scanners use but greater depth, diagnostics and coding require the manufacturers which is what I presumed VIDA DICE to be.

However it is the interface that is costly here and at this point I want to limit my financial exposure to my daughters car!

It may well be I can get her to spring for the cost however I think it would be wise to understand whether this is necessary or wise.

Will the VIDA software connect with any other interface or only DICE?

I understand Dice to be the interface here and if I read the Volvo blurb correctly its main advantage is Bluetooth connectivity?

The PDF from Volvo I have just read says this " A USB cable can be used as an alternative to the Bluetooth communication." which is probably giving me false hope....

Apart from that the only other roadblock is getting it to work under Win 10....

So if anybody has used VIDA with an ordinary OBDII to USB interface or can recommend anything else for initial diagnostics on the C30 ANTI SKID SERVICE REQUIRED issue.....?

Many thanks and ALL advice gratefully received
Having looked into this a bit further I think I am on a hiding to nothing, no DICE (or other very expensive interface) no communication.....
Damn...

Advice still appreciated though
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 12:36   #7
rxtian

Yeah it’s volvo software so it’s written to work with volvos interface. It’s generally available for less than the cost of a diag read out at a dealer so we end up financially ahead.

I believe the reference to the usb cable just means the dice box has a usb cable.
rxtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2019, 13:02   #8
RSpete

Having looked into this a bit further I think I am on a hiding to nothing, no DICE (or other very expensive interface) no communication.....
Damn...

Advice still appreciated though

Last edited by RSpete; Feb 2nd, 2019 at 13:04. Reason: Oops appears I have posted a duplicate!