Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Accelaration pedal - throttle position mismatch

Views : 606

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 00:38   #1
v4vlv

Default Accelaration pedal - throttle position mismatch

I performed a test today to check the consistency of the acceleration pedal with the actual throttle position within Vida and found the following:

(key at position II, engine off)

Acc pedal possition Actual throttle position
idle ------> 8 %
down to the floor ------> 65 %

Is that normal? Shouldn't be 100 % instead of 65 %?
Old Mar 4th, 2019, 10:56   #2
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4vlv View Post
I performed a test today to check the consistency of the acceleration pedal with the actual throttle position within Vida and found the following:

(key at position II, engine off)

Acc pedal possition Actual throttle position
idle ------> 8 %
down to the floor ------> 65 %

Is that normal? Shouldn't be 100 % instead of 65 %?
correct, on my car it goes up to 99.6% on full throttle, as per Vida.
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2019, 15:34   #3
v4vlv

OK.
Is it some kind of adjustment of ECM that I can alter?(although I can't find something relative within Vida).
Or is it because ECM self adjusted because of a previous limp mode condition and remained that way?
Old Mar 4th, 2019, 17:03   #4
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
OK.
Is it some kind of adjustment of ECM that I can alter?(although I can't find something relative within Vida).
Or is it because ECM self adjusted because of a previous limp mode condition and remained that way?
that I dont know. Possible also accelerator pedal potentiometer is not right or something in throttle body maybe acting up? not sure..
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 10:49   #5
Teilo1979
V70 R Design D4 MY2013

Not trying to be smart here, but my sister was complaining that her new Mercedes didn't seem as fast as she expected.
turned out to be the rather plush aftermarket floor mats were restricting pedal travel.
Might be worth just checking there are no obstructions preventing the pedal being fully pressed.

Terry
Teilo1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 12:30   #6
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilo1979 View Post
Not trying to be smart here, but my sister was complaining that her new Mercedes didn't seem as fast as she expected.
turned out to be the rather plush aftermarket floor mats were restricting pedal travel.
Might be worth just checking there are no obstructions preventing the pedal being fully pressed.

Terry
valid point! the same happened on my friend's Auris and is actually more common than people think...
sometimes easiest soultions are hardest to notice
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 21:47   #7
v4vlv

Although the title is correct, I just realised that I have been misled and unintentionally I have misled you too.
What I've saw within Vida is the output of accelerator's pedal position sensor regarding the physical position of the acc pedal itself, and not the actual throttle position. The latter is constantly at 100% as can been seen at the attached screenshoot, and as soon as I turn off the engine and for a few seconds (2-3sec) goes to 0% and then back to 100%.

PS.I haven't change the floor mat. It's stock. But I went outside and double check if something prevents the acc pedal to its movement, and found none.
Attached Images
File Type: png Throttle_1&2.png (29.4 KB, 8 views)
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 11:03   #8
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Although the title is correct, I just realised that I have been misled and unintentionally I have misled you too.
What I've saw within Vida is the output of accelerator's pedal position sensor regarding the physical position of the acc pedal itself, and not the actual throttle position. The latter is constantly at 100% as can been seen at the attached screenshoot, and as soon as I turn off the engine and for a few seconds (2-3sec) goes to 0% and then back to 100%.

PS.I haven't change the floor mat. It's stock. But I went outside and double check if something prevents the acc pedal to its movement, and found none.
but thats actually good, isnt it? I mean it indicates that problem is in throttle body, something like flap not opening/closing properly vs the desired throttle position.
unless I am misreading this?
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 15:34   #9
v4vlv

Well, yes that was my first thought too, that something is wrong with the throttle body. But on the other hand it doesn't make sense. I mean how a car can be driven normally when the throttle is constantly full open or it's malfunctioning?
At the time I'm writing this, I can drive it normally, (no DTC errors) except that the accelaration has been decreased (more noticeable at lower RPM) and I feel it a bit heavy. The fuel consumption has been increased too.