Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

s40 sometimes wont start

Views : 5347

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 13th, 2009, 21:05   #11
Sponge Brain

Default V50 starting problems

I've got a 2006 V50 2.0D and just out of the 3 year warranty, after deciding to keep it for a while it has developed a starting problem. The engine sometimes turns over but will not fire. Switch of and back on again then maybe it will, maybe it won't. Reading several forums this seems like a common problem but with no identified cure.

I've had the injectors checked and a diagnostic with no faults showing.

Today the car wouldn't start at all. At lunch time it started with the second key. This evening both keys caused the occasional starting problem. The car tries to fire but won't like the immobiliser is on.

Any suggestions? I've read EGR valve (what is that?) Key not being recognised - seems likely, CEM module, SCU unit, changing fuse box connections. Anything involving changing/ replacing a 3 letter acronym sounds expensive.

Has anyone actually found a cure?

I'm very tempted to change my mind about keeping it and look for something else but other than this recent issue the car has run like a dream and I really like it.

Last edited by Sponge Brain; Oct 13th, 2009 at 21:24.
Sponge Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 22:38   #12
Guru
Premier Member

Hi,

I suggested earlier that it could be a faulty camshaft position sensor, however, i'll take that back for now, but still leave it on the table as a potential cause.

As if these starting problems have become epidemic , a forum friend from cz stated that he had a similar starting problem, as described here by many, for two weeks, and at the end it was traced back to the fuel pressure regulator / fuel pump pressure sensor, his would occasionally crank but would not start, then it would start and be rough for a couple of seconds, sometimes it would fire up instantly ...ect.
Diagnostics were clean, only after reseting them many times did the code finally pop up indicating a fuel pressure problem, he should get it fixed this week so if anything new, i'll let you know.
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 11:21   #13
Welton
Premier Member

It should be noted that it's a bad idea to 'crank' a common rail diesel with a high pressure fuel pump if there's no chance of it starting because the lack of fuel passing through the pump can give rise to premature wear to its internals.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 13:22   #14
Sponge Brain

I may have found the definitive answer on another thread http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...tarting&page=2

Throttle housing sticking.

Thanks for all the help and advice, I'm much better educated on the acronyms now!

I'll post how I get on.
Sponge Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 17:31   #15
beezneez

Aware this may not be relevent but I had this problem with my old car, a Vauxhall Astra. After a lot of times in and out the garage they said it may be something to do with the immob, they said to unlock the car with the key, get in lock the car while inside then unlock it again. It did work when I done that but that is a completley different type of car, maybe worth a shot!
beezneez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 09:56   #16
v50Dom
Happy Volvo Driver

After limping home with EGR problems, I went to take my 2.0D V50 to the dealer the next morning, and it would not start. A few lights came on, nothing else. The RAC came out and after no joy from plugging his laptop into the car, I got towed to the dealer. The dealer told me the EGR had been replaced (they showed me the clogged up unit that came out of the car - streuth!) and they had replaced an ignition module.
My car was outside warranty at the time (3.5 years old, 58k), volvo paid for ignition unit and half of EGR costs.
It has been fine ever since - now on 62k.
v50Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 21:38   #17
Bas_k

A shot in the dark, Is there an Engine Imobiliser on your key fob? which has been pressed
Bas_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 18:06   #18
tompbb
Mr

Default Won't Start

My 58 Diesel S40 has not been starting now and then,

but today it wouldn't start at all it would crank but not ingite.

i have owned the car 10 days and this is the third time this has happend, although this time it wouldn't start after the few minuets i have been allowing it before trying again, the very nice man from the RAC put his computer on but could find nothing wrong at all on the diagnostic, so he tried so sure start down the pipe and it started first time. once started he couldn't find a problem on either the paramitors or on the battery check everything was working as it should be.

just as he was setting off i asked about the imobiliser on the car he said it was in the key fob and it would deliver the same symtoms as the car was presenting so i have changed the old key for the new key and i will keep you all informed

Last edited by tompbb; Aug 12th, 2012 at 18:08.
tompbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 18:17   #19
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompbb View Post
My 58 Diesel S40 has not been starting now and then,

but today it wouldn't start at all it would crank but not ingite.

i have owned the car 10 days and this is the third time this has happend, although this time it wouldn't start after the few minuets i have been allowing it before trying again, the very nice man from the RAC put his computer on but could find nothing wrong at all on the diagnostic, so he tried so sure start down the pipe and it started first time. once started he couldn't find a problem on either the paramitors or on the battery check everything was working as it should be.

just as he was setting off i asked about the imobiliser on the car he said it was in the key fob and it would deliver the same symtoms as the car was presenting so i have changed the old key for the new key and i will keep you all informed
throttle body more than likely if it started with sure start mine had the same thing, very few 2.0D's have a sensor the TB to show it has a problem some do but many do not (only the very late ones which would then show on diag).

or it could be the key but i doubt it would crank at all if it failed immobiliser
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote