Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

RSE Wiring

Views : 547

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 10th, 2017, 10:50   #1
fullerlee

Default RSE Wiring

Hi,

Inspired by this: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=105054

I would like to add a permanent small media player into my system whilst retaining the DVD (and AUX-in sockets).

From what I can tell, the AUX-in socket (located at the rear of the centre console next to the ash tray) seem to go into the DVD player - is that correct?

I'd like to wire the media player directly to the aux lines, and also pull power frmo the DVD player - it would be neat if the DVD player on button also turned on the media player.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the physical sockets that go into the back of the DVD player?

Thanks,

Lee
Old May 10th, 2017, 12:49   #2
fullerlee

Just to reply to my own post...

I think what I'm going to do is hook into the back of the Aux-In, and draw power from the cigarette lighter - that seems like the easiest approach.

I'll then cut the ashtray up to make space for the media player and the 12v-5v regulator.

Does that sound like a sensible plan?
Old May 10th, 2017, 17:22   #3
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullerlee View Post
Hi,

Inspired by this: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=105054

I would like to add a permanent small media player into my system whilst retaining the DVD (and AUX-in sockets).

From what I can tell, the AUX-in socket (located at the rear of the centre console next to the ash tray) seem to go into the DVD player - is that correct?

I'd like to wire the media player directly to the aux lines, and also pull power frmo the DVD player - it would be neat if the DVD player on button also turned on the media player.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the physical sockets that go into the back of the DVD player?

Thanks,

Lee
I had one of these and streamed my music via the car radio using this FM transmitter, internal battery lasted ages, I also had one that plugged into the 12 volt socket and had a usb slot so you could plug in memory stick or mp3 player, very cheap and you just have one of your radio preset channels set to the same frequency, no wiring up plug and play. Lots of others on ebay.
Dont let the cheap price put you off they work and are a great bit of kit. And steering wheel buttons still changed tracks and adjusted volume.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-WIRELE...sAAMXQyY1TQ-tD

The second ebay item was the one that plugged into the 12 volt socket but I did not buy either from the USA and pay that ridiculous postage.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-in-1-12-...oAAOSwWTRW1TrP

Last edited by nu11eaf; May 10th, 2017 at 17:38.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 08:46   #4
fullerlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
I had one of these and streamed my music via the car radio using this FM transmitter, internal battery lasted ages, I also had one that plugged into the 12 volt socket and had a usb slot so you could plug in memory stick or mp3 player, very cheap and you just have one of your radio preset channels set to the same frequency, no wiring up plug and play. Lots of others on ebay.
Dont let the cheap price put you off they work and are a great bit of kit. And steering wheel buttons still changed tracks and adjusted volume.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-WIRELE...sAAMXQyY1TQ-tD

The second ebay item was the one that plugged into the 12 volt socket but I did not buy either from the USA and pay that ridiculous postage.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-in-1-12-...oAAOSwWTRW1TrP
Thanks. I've already got RSE so the audio is already in-place. All I'm doing is hardwiring a media player into the existing connections, and exposing the media player through the ashtray for IR and USB access. It's a fairly crude solution that I've come up with, but it will work. If I want to revert to stock I just need to replace the ashtray cover (as I've cut a big hole in the front of it!).

I'll post some pics later.
Old May 15th, 2017, 11:06   #5
fullerlee

Lightbulb

This shows what I did. I'm not the best at this kind of thing, but it works.

I took the 12v feed from the lighter in the centre console, ran that to a switch which I mounted on the front, then into the 12v-5v converter which I have inside the ashtray compartment. The 5v out of the converter goes into the media player.

I've soldered the Aux outputs of the media player onto the back of the Aux inputs on the centre console. I think this means those sockets become in/out, albeit with reduced output brightness (though I've not tried this).

I've got rid of the actual ashtray to make space for the media player and the converter - I hot-glued the cover.

So the result is a Media Player with front-access for IR and USB, and concealed cabling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170514_120523.jpg (275.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170514_120535.jpg (207.0 KB, 13 views)