Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2006 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD FM radio (HU-650) problem

Views : 2868

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 03:47   #1
rizal

Default 2006 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD FM radio (HU-650) problem

CD and AM radio work perfectly without fail. However, sound when on FM radio will intermittently and completely cut out with no clear pattern. Radio digital display will still show song and radio station name, and info will change as the next song is played, but no sound will come from speakers, not even static. Sometimes I will have perfect audio on FM for a long time, and then will stop working.

What could be the issue?
rizal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 13:42   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Faulty FM tuner module inside the radio

Repair (if you are an electronics wizard with full workbench and test gear)
Or replace the entire radio unit...
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 15:24   #3
DieselDoNicely
Premier Member

Bin, then fit something modern. The thing is a dinosaur, my CD is dead on the 2005 car. It has to be one with blue tooth, usb the works.

DDN
2005 V70 SE D5 Geartronic 205,000 miles 55
2011 V70 Lux D3 Geartronic 220,000 miles
DieselDoNicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 15:30   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizal View Post
CD and AM radio work perfectly without fail. However, sound when on FM radio will intermittently and completely cut out with no clear pattern. Radio digital display will still show song and radio station name, and info will change as the next song is played, but no sound will come from speakers, not even static. Sometimes I will have perfect audio on FM for a long time, and then will stop working.

What could be the issue?
probably a cracked solder joint on the board due to the heating and cooling cycles over the years , It is a good radio unit and worth repairing .. Central Services in Spring road Ipswich are experts in these ..
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 15:32   #5
DieselDoNicely
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
probably a cracked solder joint on the board due to the heating and cooling cycles over the years , It is a good radio unit and worth repairing .. Central Services in Spring road Ipswich are experts in these ..
Oh.....
2005 V70 SE D5 Geartronic 205,000 miles 55
2011 V70 Lux D3 Geartronic 220,000 miles
DieselDoNicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 16:34   #6
rizal

Thanks for all the replies! Before taking the unit out and paying someone to diagnose it, is there a way I can check myself if the FM antenna is at fault rather than the unit itself?

PS: If the unit’s FM tuner is at fault, I’d prefer to fix it if I could - I can’t afford a brand new unit rn and my preferred local car audio shop is quoting me around $600 CAD p&l to install a Bluetooth enabled one. My plan is to buy a cheap FM transmitter (as the unit doesn’t have aux or a tape deck) so I can play songs from my iPhone.
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 16:47   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizal View Post
Thanks for all the replies! Before taking the unit out and paying someone to diagnose it, is there a way I can check myself if the FM antenna is at fault rather than the unit itself?

PS: If the unit’s FM tuner is at fault, I’d prefer to fix it if I could - I can’t afford a brand new unit rn and my preferred local car audio shop is quoting me around $600 CAD p&l to install a Bluetooth enabled one. My plan is to buy a cheap FM transmitter (as the unit doesn’t have aux or a tape deck) so I can play songs from my iPhone.
I did not notice you were not in UK .. If AM is working ok it cant be anything else , if it is a FM aerial problem you would at least get loud hissing . it might be worth taking the covers off and pressing things and parts of the circuit board with a plastic probe when turned on to locate the area of the problem .
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 00:12   #8
rizal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I did not notice you were not in UK .. If AM is working ok it cant be anything else , if it is a FM aerial problem you would at least get loud hissing . it might be worth taking the covers off and pressing things and parts of the circuit board with a plastic probe when turned on to locate the area of the problem .
I tried it out and there is no hissing whatsoever on FM - the radio station just cuts out completely, dead silence. No static or anything. Funny thing is the car’s display will still say what current song is playing, even when the audio cuts out, so it’s receiving some signal. Any ideas why that would come through but not the audio?
Old Nov 30th, 2018, 06:20   #9
Knersus

I am experiencing the same with my HU 650 head unit. I replaced the head unit with another one obtained from a scrap yard with exactly the same symptoms
also replaced the FM amplifier in the trunk with no difference. Considering going aftermarket now
Knersus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fm radio, hu-650, radio, radio reception