Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Unusual tyre specified for 240: is it a mistake?

Views : 1095

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 14th, 2011, 16:49   #1
gnnmartin

Question Unusual tyre specified for 240: is it a mistake?

My new-to-me but 20 year old 240 GL Volvo estate is in a garage at the moment, and they have commented that I really need new tyres (I knew that), and said that they are 185 14 90T. My other Volvo (240 DL estate) has 185 14 80 tyres, and nobody I spoke to thought that 185 14 90 existed. I went back to the garage and they re-affirm that the tyres on the car are 185 14 90.

I've been told that it is quite possible that the original tyre was indeed a 185 14 90 and that this profile of tyre is no longer available. The car has only done 26000 miles, so the tyres on it are probably the original.

The garage gave me a quote for 4 new tyres, but I suspect that they will find they can't get 185 14 90, and will have to fit 185 14 80. Does this mean I will have to replace the spare as well? The spare looks unused (and probably is), but if I understand the 80/90 bit, I can't have a 90 spare if I have 80s on the wheels.

Anyone got any helpful comments?
Nigel Martin

PS. I was a bit surprised that my Haynes manual doesn't say what tyres the car should have: or at least, not that I can see.

PPS. Having looked again at the tyres on my Volvo DL, I think I understand what's happened. I think the garage must be saying I need 185 (80) R14 90T, missing out the 80 as it is standard and specifying the load rating as 90. Extra confusion doubtless arose because when I 'phone the garage I only get to speak to a receptionist, who speaks in turn to the mechanic, and a sort of chines whisper corrupts the information exchange.

Last edited by gnnmartin; Sep 14th, 2011 at 17:17. Reason: Add another PS/
gnnmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 17:01   #2
vjck_uk
Premier member

no you should be ok don't worry see this site and all will be explained

http://www.allnewtyres.co.uk/understanding-tyres.asp
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 17:59   #3
Michael J
Master Member

As shown in that link above, are you sure you are looking at the profile and not referring to the load index? Here are the specifications for 1989 models. (Sorry about the image size, can't be bothered to crop it.)

You should probably have 185R14 (steel rims) or 195/60R15 (alloys) on an estate. I have a set of Firestone Vanhawk 185R14C tyres, load index 102/100R (up to 850kg per tyre at 65psi). C means Commercial grade tyre, the standard speed rating for such is R (106mph), 8 P.R. (ply rated, the saloons use 6 P.R.), which is perfect for the car. The absence of any profile spec. actually means 82%, not 80%, but /80 and /82 can be freely mixed as they are so close to each other anyway. The spare, which was in the car when I got it, is blatantly never used, looks lovely (if cheapish) and is also 185R14C, so I'm quite happy there.

Original speed rating for saloons could be S, T, or H. Estates really shouldn't go that fast, strength for load carrying is much more relevant - my car is rated for up to 1160kg on the rear axle, so a load index of 89 or 90, whilst adequate, doesn't really have much left for peace of mind (e.g. towing whilst loaded up) and load index of 80 would certainly not be enough.

And ed: I see you've updated your post while I was writing, it looks like you've grasped the situation, but I'll post this now anyway.
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 18:02   #4
gnnmartin

Many thanks vjck_uk, that site explains all. Well nearly all. I can get quotes for lots of tyres with an 'R' speed rating, but only one for a 'T' speed rating. I had assumed that T would be a higher rating than R, but the site you gave shows T as the lowest rating and doesn't show R, but does show ZR. Can I go for an 'R' rated tyre?

PS. A bit of googling gave me the answer no. http://www.trelleborg.com/en/wheelsy...ed-code-table/ tells me the 'R' speed index is indeed lower than the 'T' index (170k/h vs 190).

Anyhow, thanks again to both you and Michael J

Last edited by gnnmartin; Sep 14th, 2011 at 18:16. Reason: Problem answered.
gnnmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 18:27   #5
Michael J
Master Member

Yes, you can use R speed rating. Commercial van tyres are generally R rated. My set of four can safely carry more than 3 tons at 100mph+. You don't intend exceeding 70mph anyway, do you?
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 20:06   #6
radiomark

if those tyres are 20 years old get them off the car before you kill yourself or someone else.accident waiting to happen.ditch the spare as well.
radiomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 23:04   #7
wooble
Stay gold baby!

I'd recommend against van tyres if you have a choice, they're horrible. Loud, harsh and poor wet grip, the 240 is not heavy enough to make them work properly. It may have been a heavy car compared to the tinny little boxes British Leyland was producing in the 70s and 80s, but it is roughly the same weight as a brand new VW Golf or Ford Focus. A 2011 V70 weighs half a ton more!

also I must agree with Mark, those 20 year old tyres are a real danger regardless of mileage. All tyre manufacturers recommend replacing tyres after 6 years regardless of mileage so 20 is pushing it rather!

Last edited by wooble; Sep 14th, 2011 at 23:09.
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 12:11   #8
Michael J
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooble View Post
I'd recommend against van tyres if you have a choice, they're horrible. Loud, harsh and poor wet grip, the 240 is not heavy enough to make them work properly.
That is as far removed from my experience of the last nine months as it is possible to be.
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 17:51   #9
wooble
Stay gold baby!

My current 240 had 185R14C van tyres on it when I bought it - I'm just describing how it felt to drive the 200 miles home in the rain! It was bad enough I bought 4 new tyres the very next morning.
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote