Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

choosing between SE and R-Design ?

Views : 19988

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 21st, 2011, 19:59   #11
robg

i too went for se lux as thought it was better value and dint want over hard ride.
I love the heated seats, and personally, with leather would never be without, but in answer to question yes the diesel heats up very fast. Blows warm within about 30 seconds, certainly a minute even when sub zero. I assume it uses the ac in reverse for a few mins?
Myself i very much dislike the powered tailgate, it is just silly, though everyone else thinks it cool. Your choice.
I believe volvo base stereos are usually fine. I went premium and it is definitely not worth the money, i had premium in previous V50 which was fantastic, this one is nowhere near as good.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 20:37   #12
madman1

I think others have put it well here.

I guess you'd need to decide whether the additional standard toys that you get with the SE are 'need' or 'nice' to have. So comes down to personal choice.

Fell into the 'nice' category from my perspective, so I went for a white R-Design with a couple of the packs that gave me more of the bells and whistles that were important to me (including front and rear sensors, personally think these are 'need' category)

No regrets at all.

To an extent there's a 'heart over head' dimension to an R-Design purchase I think. It just looks 'the part' IMO. One of the biggest differences visually is its full colour coding - makes a big difference visually.
Anyway, nice dilemma to be wrestling with. I'm sure you be happy whatever you decide.****
madman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 21:42   #13
ExMercR
XC60 Owner

I chose an SE. The big factor for me was the improved ride quality with the smaller, higher profile tyres - of course, this is just my opinion, and others will disagree.
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 22:22   #14
Project239X
The Beast

It's down to personal preference, personally I chose the R-Design and I would take it every time over and over again The only thing I don't have and miss is heated seats

My dads got an SE Lux and he loves it to bits, but IMHO it looks and feels more his age bracket.
Project239X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 09:45   #15
7up

I went for the SE as well, but added a few R-design style items - side scuff plates and front grill/lower bumper silvery bits, so the car will look a little like a R-design from a distance, if you are squinting!

I think the extras added 300 quid to the price, but I got the dealer to throw them in for free to seal the deal! I haven't picked the car up yet; I'll post a few picks when it arrives.
7up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 11:42   #16
Mrjon
Master Member

I went for the SE LUX premium, it makes for a fantastic luxurious motorway cruise (and I'm "only" 39). I liked some of the features of the R-design but really wanted 4C so it seemed pointless.I preferred to spend the money on actual gadgets than styling.
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 11:49   #17
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

R-Design without a top spec engine...

... is like being a peacock without a willy

Get the SE Lux unless you want something that'll pull your eyes out onto stalks on demand.

(Mine's an SE Lux and it's plenty sporty enough!)

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to t5_monkey For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 14:51   #18
madman1

12345, i was interested to learn whether you were any closer to making a decision yet?
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 16:29   #19
Squawker

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
R-Design without a top spec engine...

... is like being a peacock without a willy

Get the SE Lux unless you want something that'll pull your eyes out onto stalks on demand.

(Mine's an SE Lux and it's plenty sporty enough!)
Call me what you like, but somehow the price differential of 50000 quid between the 2.4L D3 and T6 put me off. And they wouldn't build me a manual T6 anyway!
Squawker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Squawker For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 16:43   #20
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
Call me what you like, but somehow the price differential of 50000 quid between the 2.4L D3 and T6 put me off. And they wouldn't build me a manual T6 anyway!
£50,000...??

Are we talking £5000 or 50,000 in Norwegian money..!!

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote