Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Castrol Edge Professional A5/B5 Vs Castrol Edge A5/B5

Views : 21275

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 10th, 2013, 21:30   #1
mr.pip

Default Castrol Edge Professional A5/B5 Vs Castrol Edge A5/B5

Hi all, I've just changed my '55 V70 D5 sport, got fed up with the Engine Service Required Msg, which was found to be a sticky Turbo!!, for a '12 V70 D3/4 (stop/start), a strange bedfellow, but a wonderful Car.
How-ever my question is :- Is there any tremendous difference between Castrol Edge Professional 0W-30 A5/B5 and Castrol Edge
0W-30 A5/B5 engine oil, or is it that the dealers want to take over everything by saying I have to buy this oil from them.
mr.pip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 22:31   #2
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

From what one member told me on here the only difference is for identification purposes - UV dye of some description and branding.

Got to Opie Oils use the discount code on here and save some money.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninja59 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 01:17   #3
CJL
Master Member

The spec is identical. Opie have a good deal on the Castrol A5/B5 at the moment and it even says for Volvo on the side.

The oil store in Germany used to sell Edge Professional at a reasonable price, but I've just googled it and now it's called SLX Longtec which is the old name
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 20:37   #4
mr.pip

Smile

Thanks for that info,
I'll have a search for that discount code and will take a close look at 'Opie Oils'.
mr.pip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 22:44   #5
v50inred

Edge Professional is simply a brand name for oils sold to dealerships, there is also Magnatec Professional.

Have thought about going up to the higher specced 0w30 A5/B5 but can't see the point in my high miles 2.0d which has spent that last 50k on 5w30 without incident.

I also change oil to often to get a decent return on the investment.

If I had a '12 like you I would certainly be using 0w30

If you can buy Edge 0w30 A5/B5 cheaper than the dealer can supply it then buy it and supply it to the dealer.

Though the saving is likely to make it less than worthwhile as places like Opieoils are not the bargain they initially seem unless you can get free delivery.

And the saps of Edge 0w30 is a little higher than I would like with a Dpf to protect as according to the data sheet on Opie the saps is 1.12.

The saps of the Mobil Super 3000 X1 FE 5w30 I am using is less at 0.8.

The lower the saps the better it is for the Dpf, you would really like it 0.8 and below.

£26 for 5 litres versus £40 for 4 litres is also significant for me.

Ask your dealer for the data sheet for the oil he supplies just incase there is a difference between Edge Professional and Edge.

As it was on Bobistheoilguy that I read they are identical just one being repackaged for specific trade use (Ford and Volvo dealers for example)

Last edited by v50inred; Apr 11th, 2013 at 22:51.
v50inred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 23:16   #6
Ninja59

Quote:
Originally Posted by v50inred View Post
Edge Professional is simply a brand name for oils sold to dealerships, there is also Magnatec Professional.

Have thought about going up to the higher specced 0w30 A5/B5 but can't see the point in my high miles 2.0d which has spent that last 50k on 5w30 without incident.

I also change oil to often to get a decent return on the investment.

If you can buy Edge 0w30 A5/B5 cheaper than the dealer can supply it then buy it and supply it to the dealer.

Though the saving is likely to make it less than worthwhile as places like Opieoils are not the bargain they initially seem unless you can get free delivery.

And the saps of Edge 0w30 is a little higher than I would like with a Dpf to protect as according to the data sheet on Opie the saps is 1.12.

The saps of the Mobil Super 3000 X1 FE 5w30 I am using is less at 0.8.

The lower the saps the better it is for the Dpf, you would really like it 0.8 and below.

£26 for 5 litres versus £40 for 4 litres is also significant for me.

Ask your dealer for the data sheet for the oil he supplies just incase there is a difference between Edge Professional and Edge.

As it was on Bobistheoilguy that I read they are identical just one being repackaged for specific trade use (Ford and Volvo dealers for example)
5 cylinder diesels can only use 0w-30 A5/B5, there are very few that meet that requirement.

Additionally, there are very few places if you went down the castrol edge route that do 0w-30 A5/B5 with discount you can cover next day delivery in many cases.
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 00:30   #7
v50inred

The 0w30 Edge is indeed the Castrol recommendation for the D3 stop start which I think is the 2.0 five cylinder?

But Mobil Super 3000 5w30 is the Mobil recommendation for the same vehicle.
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 00:34   #8
Ninja59

Put simply it does not meet Volvo specification though which is 0W-30 A5/B5 for any 5 cylinder whether that be Castrol or any make, risking putting an oil that does not meet Volvo specifications could risk any warranty.

just to lighten the mood I also found this amusing typo in the MY13 V70 manual: -

Last edited by Ninja59; Apr 12th, 2013 at 00:44.
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 18:38   #9
v50inred

You also need to consider that if a large oil company like Mobil are happy it meets the specifications for the engine then it probably does.

There is no such thing as an engine that only works on Castrol 0w30 A5/B5.

There is certainly nothing wrong with it but other options need to be discussed in the forum.

What is certainly of significance with a vehicle equipped with a Dpf like later modern diesel Volvos is the saps being higher than I would be happy with.

The saps of Castrol 0w30 is 1.12 which is much higher than other low saps oil, C1, C2 etc.

Volvo and Ford have very strong links with Castrol which is why CStrol products are pushed as the ones to use.

Corporate deals are part of life, but don't blindly follow what they say.

I will be putting Mobil 3000 X1 FE into my Dpf equipped Pathfinder in the next few weeks.
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 18:44   #10
Ninja59

Quote:
Originally Posted by v50inred View Post
You also need to consider that if a large oil company like Mobil are happy it meets the specifications for the engine then it probably does.

There is no such thing as an engine that only works on Castrol 0w30 A5/B5.

There is certainly nothing wrong with it but other options need to be discussed in the forum.

What is certainly of significance with a vehicle equipped with a Dpf like later modern diesel Volvos is the saps being higher than I would be happy with.

The saps of Castrol 0w30 is 1.12 which is much higher than other low saps oil, C1, C2 etc.

Volvo and Ford have very strong links with Castrol which is why CStrol products are pushed as the ones to use.

Corporate deals are part of life, but don't blindly follow what they say.

I will be putting Mobil 3000 X1 FE into my Dpf equipped Pathfinder in the next few weeks.
I never said Castrol Edge... -
Quote:
whether that be Castrol or any make
It only states 0W-30 A5/B5 and somewhere about Castrol, but that was not part of my post read the information provided not what you want to read.

Ever considered the fact that Mobil might/do not have a 0W-30 with A5/B5 specification?

Which they actually do...leading me to an interesting point. The oil recommended by their system is actually wrong if based on specification.Fact.

http://www.mobil.co.uk/UK-English-LC...omy-0w30.aspx#

This meets A5/B5 and 0W-30 - but has a higher SAP that you keep going on about than Edge! Whether you like it or not 5W-30 is the wrong specification oil for a 5 cylinder Volvo diesel engine D3/D4/D5.

And to add a sense of irony to your statement your original input featured this: -
Quote:
Yet somehow you are now recommending a 5W-30 oil for a car that should be running on 0W-30?

Last edited by Ninja59; Apr 12th, 2013 at 20:41.