Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Another Oil Leak - Volvo D5 2003 Manual

Views : 2530

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2014, 13:21   #1
lynxjava

Default Another Oil Leak - Volvo D5 2003 Manual

Another day, another oil leak.

I ve had this car for 3 months and already I am close to spending more than half to what I purchased the car for!

I have been to Darryl's Motors twice already and each time they say its another problem. Not sure if I want to go the third time. Last time they left the reverse light switch unplugged.

Grrr, i really need a good mechanic or someone that can help me diagnose. I have attached some pictures. I live in West London, Hayes if anyone know someone decent.

It looks like the leak is coming from the far right injector. All the other injectors are clean.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Picture 4

I have had the rocker cover changed recently from Darryls, do you think it could be the gasket or one of the bolts aren't tight??

Heeelp!
lynxjava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 13:42   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

The injectors carry diesel.
Why would you have a pool of oil?
If an injector was leaking, it would leak diesel.
Or am I missing something?
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 15:19   #3
lynxjava

Well I smelt the leak and it wasnt diesel, it was definitely oil.
Is there a gasket or seal on the injector connecting with the engine?
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 16:17   #4
Bernard333
Premier Member

I dont know about your leak but how come your injector clamps have proper bolt heads instead of those annoying torx head screws which shear the ends off my cheap and nasty guaranteed for life Sealey bits, I thought all 2003 D5s had the torx screws as standard ?
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 16:22   #5
cheshired5
Premier Member

There is a copper seal around the point of the injector which needs to make a perfect seal at the bottom of the injector port.
If there's even a tiny gap, it can cause knocking and also allow fuel to leak around the injector body.
Your previous posts though, suggest you had this similar oil leak around the tops of other injectors too but now it's only isolated to just one.
Unless you've removed and cleaned the other injectors, it wouldn't explain why they no longer have this issue.
If it is definitely oil and not diesel, I don't think your fault is anything to do with the injectors.
For the sheer quantity of oil gathering, you must surely be able to observe with the engine running, where it might be coming from.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 18:47   #6
lynxjava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard333 View Post
I dont know about your leak but how come your injector clamps have proper bolt heads instead of those annoying torx head screws which shear the ends off my cheap and nasty guaranteed for life Sealey bits, I thought all 2003 D5s had the torx screws as standard ?
I thought all Volvo's came like this. Until you mentioned it, i never noticed. Is that a bad thing?
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 18:50   #7
lynxjava

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
There is a copper seal around the point of the injector which needs to make a perfect seal at the bottom of the injector port.
If there's even a tiny gap, it can cause knocking and also allow fuel to leak around the injector body.
Your previous posts though, suggest you had this similar oil leak around the tops of other injectors too but now it's only isolated to just one.
Unless you've removed and cleaned the other injectors, it wouldn't explain why they no longer have this issue.
If it is definitely oil and not diesel, I don't think your fault is anything to do with the injectors.
For the sheer quantity of oil gathering, you must surely be able to observe with the engine running, where it might be coming from.
Yes, i think we may be onto something here. When the rocker cover was being replaced by the garage, they said I have to replace the copper seals so I got some new ones. I hope it is something simple like a seal!! I will keep you updated.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 19:32   #8
Bernard333
Premier Member

I dont like torx/ribe/ screws but I think car makers use them extensively as they are easier for them when they first assemble the car. My only concern would be that someone may have replaced the originals with something not suitable, these screws and the clamps I think are meant to be replaced with new every time they are taken out, having said that I am planning to reuse the old screws and clamps on a D5 but I recall comments on the forum saying doing this has given problems. The steel high pressure fuel pipes are also meant to be fitted once only but at about £120 a set I do not intend to buy new ones.
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 19:56   #9
david philips
panic captain manwaring ?

Default just a quick thought

is there any chance it could be diesel leaking from one or more of your leak off pipes they dont look very sound.
david philips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 20:26   #10
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxjava View Post
When the rocker cover was being replaced by the garage, they said I have to replace the copper seals so I got some new ones.
You really need the full mounting kit for each injector you're going to retighten.... Volvo Part 30650390, about £18 per kit per injector.
It includes new clamp, bolts (torx), circlip and copper washer.
Time for you to get someone to do this job properly before it all goes pop.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post: