Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Particulate filter

Views : 2216

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 16:06   #1
meddyliol

Question Particulate filter

I suppose most of you are sick and tired of reading about particulate filters. I have one question about it: Does anyone know if the 2008 V50 2.0d SE Lux have a filter and if so, does it need an additive at certain mileages? This will be my fifth Volvo and have never noticed any problems with them.

Thanks

Brian
meddyliol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 10:32   #2
steV50

If it is any help I have a 2008 model year V50 2.0D manual and it is not fitted with a DPF. If the 8th digit of the cars VIN is a 4 then it will not have a DPF.
steV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 12:14   #3
cheshired5
Premier Member

Because carbon/soot, Co2 whatever is bad for the environment, it is caught in the filter, so that what comes out of the exhaust has lower nasties in it.
But those nasties don't cease to exist, they accumulate and block the filter.
So to clear out the filter, you occasionally have to give the car some beans and spit all the soot into the environment, which they are bad for.
If a car generates crap, it's going to come out at some point.
A better idea would be to design an engine that produces less crap in the first place, not allow it to continue producing crap, then catch it and spit it out in one big dollop periodically.
When factory's were chuffing too much carbon, the solution wasn't to let them continue producing the same quantity, put a sheet of muslin over the chimney and then shake it out every 6 months.

Particulate filters are the most stupid idea since the Austin Allegro's square steering wheel and arguably the most stupid automotive "advance" ever.
Pure lunacy.

Good luck with your purchase btw
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 13:21   #4
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Do you actually understand how a DPF works?

In a majority the particulates the DPF catches are soot (carbon) and with more oxygen at 600 degrees actually leave to form CO2 not actually a physical piece of soot. Hence why the DPF's needs EOLYS or greater injection of fuel allowing the exhaust system to reach around 600 degrees when the process works most efficiently.

Furthermore if you actually consider what the DPF is there for then it is not so much a stupid development.

In regards to the 2.0D some came without some came with a wet based EOLYS system requiring top up with EOLYS every 36.5K and full replacement of the DPF at 75K. The top up can be done DIY, although you need access to VIDA to tell the car it has been refilled it does not automatically know.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 14:35   #5
cheshired5
Premier Member

I'm happy to bow to superior DPF knowledge, so can you tell me what the plumes of black crap are made up of, that are blasted out the exhaust when you have to drive enthusiastically to clear out this amazing invention?
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 15:11   #6
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile plumes of black c**p

so can you tell me what the plumes of black crap are

Thatll be the plumes of soot that you normally get when putting your foot down on a car without a DPF DPFs only appeared on the 2005/6 Euro4 onward D5 engines although perhaps your talking about another engine..
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thassos For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 15:29   #7
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thassos View Post
so can you tell me what the plumes of black crap are

Thatll be the plumes of soot that you normally get when putting your foot down on a car without a DPF
Well that was my thought but Ninja says it isn't and he knows how DPF's work, so I'm holding out for his response.
Surely a DPF and non DPF car can't chuck out the same crap, otherwise, what's the point of an expensive DPF?
I'm hoping Ninja will clear this up because I'm confused.
I'm also confused why if it isn't soot , why do Volvo take the trouble to call it a soot filter on their DIM messages.
That would be daft.
They may as well put "Angel Delight Filter Full" because it isn't Angel Delight either.
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 15:39   #8
tt82
Forum Support Team

I have an 09 V70 D5 with a DPF which is driven spiritedly and there's never any plumes of black smoke coming from my exhaust!

Basically if black smoke is being kicked out it doesn't have a DPF, meaning it either wasn't manufactured with one or the owner has removed it!

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 16:57   #9
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

or its broken ....

cracked ceramic , loose in the can , or has exothermed......

you can passively regenerate the dpf yourself if you know how to drive it ...
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 17:00   #10
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
I'm happy to bow to superior DPF knowledge, so can you tell me what the plumes of black crap are made up of, that are blasted out the exhaust when you have to drive enthusiastically to clear out this amazing invention?
Whilst the DPF captures all soot that would be emitted it is designed to required specifications by the Euro standards to only remove to a certain level (size of particulate). The later Euro standards will be ever tighter in limiting the size allowed to be released.

So in actual reality it is not as per your post "spit all the soot" (hence my post), the only ones allowed to be released are the ones you see (which will be getting to a smaller size owing to tighter restrictions in Euro standards), the ones above this via the process of regeneration will be changed into CO2.

And here is lovely picture to make it easier...

Additionally this means the emissions even from a car during regeneration of a car with DPF are not the same as a car without a DPF.

Furthermore to add to your post the reasons for the particulate release the same can be said for petrols with direct injection, the CO2 output is lower, efficiency higher everything higher bar one issue they release particulates which according to the WHO following various studies (which also implies the EU now with it's stance on filtering particulates) has seen particulates (mainly from diesels) put into one of the highest categories of carcinogen.

I never said it was an amazing invention merely not a "stupid development" either, which would seek to imply that it was and is not entirely perfect (nor was the catalytic converter originally), but in so doing with having it in place it has the benefit of removing the potential dangers particulates pose (especially of the smaller kind) in damaging human health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Well that was my thought but Ninja says it isn't and he knows how DPF's work, so I'm holding out for his response.
Surely a DPF and non DPF car can't chuck out the same crap, otherwise, what's the point of an expensive DPF?
I'm hoping Ninja will clear this up because I'm confused.
I'm also confused why if it isn't soot , why do Volvo take the trouble to call it a soot filter on their DIM messages.
That would be daft.
They may as well put "Angel Delight Filter Full" because it isn't Angel Delight either.
Ever thought people might not know what a DPF is? Additionally if you actually think about it the term soot filter is a perfect term as it implies it captures and then "filters" the soot that would be otherwise released into the atmosphere. It neither implies or expressly tells you about what is actually exiting the exhaust.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote