Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General > 400 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'93K 440 (Offers invited - 2 Owner / 37K - Bereavement Sale)

Views : 5358

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 7th, 2014, 10:31   #1
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Default '93K 440 (Offers invited - 2 Owner / 37K - Bereavement Sale)

This is a friend's late mother's car. Always garaged and regularly serviced, it has been unused since 2007, and is consequently registered 'SORN' and has no MOT. In red with grey cloth interior, it is in vgc, commensurate with the low ownership and mileage. Fitted with a new battery, it started easily and ran well. Serviced and MOT'd, it would make a super daily driver for someone at little cost. ALL sensible offers will be considered as a quick sale is desired. The car is destined for scrap if it remains unsold, which would be a shame. Please therefore contact me urgently if you are interested and I will gladly make the necessary introductions. The car is presently located in Nottingham. I understand that folk like a photo, but I've tried and failed to load one. If you are seriously interested, pm me and I'll see what I can do!
john.wigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 12:34   #2
minty
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
This is a friend's late mother's car. Always garaged and regularly serviced, it has been unused since 2007, and is consequently registered 'SORN' and has no MOT. In red with grey cloth interior, it is in vgc, commensurate with the low ownership and mileage. Fitted with a new battery, it started easily and ran well. Serviced and MOT'd, it would make a super daily driver for someone at little cost. ALL sensible offers will be considered as a quick sale is desired. The car is destined for scrap if it remains unsold, which would be a shame. Please therefore contact me urgently if you are interested and I will gladly make the necessary introductions. The car is presently located in Nottingham. I understand that folk like a photo, but I've tried and failed to load one. If you are seriously interested, pm me and I'll see what I can do!
Hi John, you have a PM
minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 10:21   #3
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I have been (politely) advised that these cars have little or no value. True: we are aware of that!

It has also been pointed out to me that anyone purchasing this car would need to, at least, service, MOT and tax it before use. Also true: and we are aware of that as well!

This would cost in the order of £300. I daresay: Tax (6 mths) and MOT would be £160, but you might save a little on the service by doing it yourself.

Added to the price of the car this would make the cost more than the car is worth. I beg to differ: these are costs of running - as opposed to buying - any motor car. My 745 is effectively valueless but it still costs me 25p per mile to run!

So ... please do not respond merely to state the obvious: you will simply be wasting both your time and mine!

However, if you are seriously interested in a car commensurate with one that might have been offered, back in the day, by a dealer at three years old for little more than scrap value, please contact me without delay. The house has to be cleared and the car will assuredly be scrapped if it remains unsold.

To reiterate: the family would much rather the car went to someone who would appreciate it than see it go for scrap. They can get £160 with no hassle by doing that! Remember, it has done less than 40k - it's got to worth more than that as a source of spares for someone. They're not asking four figures, or even half that, but I can guarantee that if you did offer £500 your bid would be successful! As previously stated, all sensible offers will be considered.

Thank you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to john.wigley For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 19:02   #4
mcouchard
Master Member

Hi John,

I may have missed this but is it auto or manual and do you have any details on spec?

Whereabouts in Notts is the car at present?

Thanks,

Matthew
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 21:13   #5
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Hi, Matthew, thanks for your interest. The car is a relatively low spec (manual windows) with a 1794 petrol engine and manual transmission. However, it is totally original, down to the Volvo stereo and 'Speeds' sticker in the rear window.
The car is in Wollaton but the family live in the north of the county. If you are seriously interested and wish to inspect the car, please pm me and I will provide contact details to enable you to make mutually convenient arrangements.
The Following User Says Thank You to john.wigley For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 13:19   #6
Paffel
VOC Member

I'll see if I can help you get a photo up.

Previous; '98 V70XC, '97 V40 2.0, '94 855 T5,'02 S60 D5,'97 V70 AWD,'90 740 Turbo,'97 855 T5 Auto,99 V70 10V,'04 S80 D5,'99 V70R AWD
Paffel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paffel For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 13:34   #7
minty
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paffel View Post
I'll see if I can help you get a photo up.
Got a couple of pics this end Paul if you struggle
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 13:42   #8
Paffel
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minty View Post
Got a couple of pics this end Paul if you struggle
Knock em over Kev, lets have a butchers.

Previous; '98 V70XC, '97 V40 2.0, '94 855 T5,'02 S60 D5,'97 V70 AWD,'90 740 Turbo,'97 855 T5 Auto,99 V70 10V,'04 S80 D5,'99 V70R AWD
Paffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 13:49   #9
minty
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paffel View Post
Knock em over Kev, lets have a butchers.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to minty For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 15:55   #10
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

This is the VOC at it's best. A huge 'thank-you' to both 'Paffel' and 'minty' for their combined efforts in uploading these photographs. Hopefully these will enable folk to better assess the car and maybe generate some interest in saving it from scrap.

Be under no illusion: it will, very reluctantly, be scrapped if it remains unsold once contracts are exchanged on the house. It will then be gone for ever - the sands of time are ebbing away!